Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Future Films.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Films.

What's everyone looking forward to?

Aside from Elric, I'm rather looking forward to the film adaptation of Silent Hill. If it's done well, it should have the potential to be truly scary in an 'old fashioned' way in a similar vein to the games which, may I add, terrified me! Also, Batman Begins sounds as though it has heaps of promise and will be most welcome after the abismal Batman Forever and Batman & Robin!
    Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Spider-Man 2!!!!! 8O

The remake of The Manchurian Candidate also looks promising. Three Academy Award Winners and a solid story. Hmmm?
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

I didn't mention Spider-Man 2 as I thought it would have been out in the US already! Seems as though we're to get it at the same time. And yes, it looks brilliant, possibly better than the first although I shall reserve my verdict for now :)
      Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

Re: Future Films.

Originally posted by Bob
        Aside from Elric, I'm rather looking forward to the film adaptation of Silent Hill. If it's done well, it should have the potential to be truly scary in an 'old fashioned' way in a similar vein to the games which, may I add, terrified me!
        Scared the bejeezus out of me too! Ghost-babies always creep me out. I hadn't heard about a movie though. What confuses me about game adaptations is that most computer games these days are like films that you can control. I don't understand why anyone would want to see a version that they can't control, if they already have the interactive version at home.

That reminds me of a joke someone made around the time of the first Tomb Raider film, suggesting that it should just be two hours of her repeatedly failing to jump from one ledge to another and falling to her death.

The only film I can think of that I'd really be curious to watch (but can't) is Bandwagon, which is an independent feature starring Emma Caufield (Anya from Buffy). It's only being shown at festivals at the moment, so if anyone wants to make me green with envy they should check it out.

http://www.bandwagonthemovie.com/
        Someday someone will come up with a way for us to get paid for all of the word of mouth publicity we give to various books and films... but not today!

D...
        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Someday someone will come up with a way for us to get paid for all of the word of mouth publicity we give to various books and films... but not today!
          It's called PH-UK :D

Sorry, had to get that in there!

Comment

I loved the little things in Silent Hill like the 'Psychic TV', and the fact that the teachers names in the school were the members of Sonic Youth, but yep, that was one creepy game.

Comment

There's an Alien vs. Predator movie due.
              and then there's another Excorcist movie coming...

http://www.avp-movie.com/

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...predator+movie
              ==================
              exorcist: the beginning

http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/20...iler-page.html

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...+the+beginning
              \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
              Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

The new Arthur film looks watchable, but i've only seen the clip.

It worries me though, when americans get their hands on good stuff it does tend to be rubbish, no offence to your average american.

Examples are:

Dungeons & Dragons film
                The new Italian Job
                Spiderman
                Batman, all of them
                Troy
                Van Helsing
                The Dune TV Series- absolutely atrocious

Money = visual effects with no story. So America should provide the money and other nations create the film. An example of this being Lord of the Rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Everydayislikesunday
                  It worries me though, when americans get their hands on good stuff it does tend to be rubbish, no offence to your average american.

Examples are:

Dungeons & Dragons film
                  The new Italian Job
                  Spiderman
                  Batman, all of them
                  Troy
                  Van Helsing

Money = visual effects with no story. So America should provide the money and other nations create the film. An example of this being Lord of the Rings.
                  I won't argue with the sentiment, but I think you're being a little too harsh on some of those movies. Spiderman had a good story and good characters, and the first Batman had good characters and a great feel.

And you can't blame all of it on visual effects. The Italian Job (which I thought was pretty good) was done with little to no CGI. The best visual effect was Charlize Theron.

Comment

The thing I like about the Spiderman movies is that the parts where Spidey swings through the city look SO GOOD! I mean, that's a hard effect to achieve. He's basically falling through the air and then catches himself by shooting a web out to a far off building and carrying the swing forward towards the anchor point. Then Spidey must be pulled slightly in the other direction as he anchors himself with the other arm. And so on. Falling, swinging from side to side, catching himself, etc. Sometimes you can see the computer graphics at work, but even so - it's quite well done. Breathtaking for an old timer like myself to see a boyhood fantasy come to life that way.

Of course, it's unforgiveable that Dafoe was made to wear a mask in the first movie. Once upon a time he was my choice for the Joker, but that didn't happen. But anyway, what was Raimie thinking? You do not put a mask on Dafoe - that's throwing money and talent away. If anyone saw him in "Streets of Fire" (silly movie with an okay soundtrack) they'd know that he can pull off freaky "Joker-like" faces without the need of prosthetics or masks.

Masks are for amateurs and Greek Theater...

Comment

I noticed that Christian Bale
                      who I liked in the movie American Psycho
                      who is also in Reign of Fire,
                      is the new Batman.
                      I don't like any of the Batman movies BTW.
                      If they made a Dark Knight Returns movie,
                      I'd probably like it. Not sure who would be
                      cast for that one though.
                      \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"

Comment

Boudicca, all four of them.
                        Not Narnia, if only to see Tilda Swinton. Too twee and Harry-Potterish, but I may be surprised.
                        Nor Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, do me a favour, we saw that BBC zany sci-fi in the eighties. Now that's what I call a re-make. Too demurely establishmentudinarian.

:roll:
                        \'You know my destiny?\' said Elric eagerly. \'Tell me what it is, Niun Who Knew All.\'
                        Niun opened his mouth as if to speak but then firmly shut it again. \'No,\' he said. \'I have forgotten.\'

Comment

Yeah, I like Bale quite a bit - Moonglum?

I liked Reign of Fire too, for that matter. Despite obvious shortcomings.

Dark Knight? How about Michael Chiklis? He might not be tall enough, but then I think Shwartznegger - who I always thought of as huge - is only 5'6"-8" or something like that. One of my Exs at 6'1" towered over him somewhere when she met him.

Chiklis has all the anger and the self-righteousness I think.

Comment

Schwarzennegger if they just completely dub the voice. haha

But then who would play Superman?

Comment

Everydayislikesunday wrote:

Examples are:

Dungeons & Dragons film
                              The new Italian Job
                              Spiderman
                              Batman, all of them
                              Troy
                              Van Helsing

Is that not a tad harsh? I do know where your coming from, but it's not always true. I thought the first two Batman films were excellent and, despite it's minor tweaks to plot lines, were true to the feel of the comics. I must stress that this does NOT apply to the other two Batman films - they were awful. Also, Spider-Man was remarkably true to the comics, and damn entertaining for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X