Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

NBC-Universal and Elric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miqque
    replied
    By experience (as yours, MM) the most important thing about production is somebody signing the checks - and then the checks clearing. If that happens, a movie will probably get made. No checks signed, it's just preproduction hell.

(IOW, be kind to your managing producer!)
    8)

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    A note coming through USPS?

I appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Thanks, Jerico. Meanwhile I've dropped you a note re. your letter.

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    http://www.theedge.abelgratis.co.uk/bugjackbarron.htm

"Spinrad’s brought bits of his new novel along to Milford. Previously he’s best known for a pulpish hard-boiled sciffy caper called The Men in the Jungle, which showed his promise. But the new novel seems light-years ahead of anything else I’ve read of his. It’s called Bug Jack Barron and is about media manipulation of the public, about politics in the near future. A subject dear to my heart. And written in ambitious language, inspired by the same possibilities of expression demonstrated by Burroughs, who learned to take the jack-hammer thrust of pulp prose and turn it into a sophisticated literary method."

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/normanspinrad/

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Out of interest, did anyone ever read Norman Spinrad's prescient
    BUG JACK BARON, written in 1967 ?

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    People actually dying on "reality" shows?
    Godamn! I would be taping every episode!

MTV Road Rules is now in South America I believe.
    The first episode they had the people bungee drop
    from a helicopter over a live, active volcano.
    I was pleading with the Lords of the Higher Worlds
    to make the chord snap!

Jer (yelling at the tv again): Please! Please! Please! I want death! Death! DIIIEE!!!!

But of course nothing happened except all of them back on the ground laughing and smiling. "That was awesome!"

Jer: Dammit! You suck! :(

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Now for my attempt at "DeeCrowSeer's humor":

They could arrange a special edition of Joe Millionaire, where Elric pretends that he still has a massive kingdom, and a group of thirty maidens are slowly wittled down as they go on (very) brief dates with him to collect various mystical items from extremely dangerous realms. Instead of being voted out, the women either die on the dates, or have their souls sucked... do people who take part in Reality TV shows have souls? Well, they get shown the pointy end of RatingsBringer anyway. Imagine the horror on the maiden's face when she's told that Elric is a penniless bum, with a drug habit and a tendency to brood. Primetime, baby!

[Exit DCS to patent his "humour" before it is humanely destroyed]

D...

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    The cross-over possibilities are endless. "ER" could treat those whose souls were taken by Stormbringer. Elric could drink his magic potions from those obnoxious big coffee mugs that the Friends' gang uses. Elric could go on "The Average Joe" to find a homely but personable replacement for Cymoril. Detectives Brisco and Green could be searching for a strange killer that apparently sucks the life right out of his victims. And of course, you could have the obligatory Elric appearance on Jay Leno, followed by the Saturday Night Live guest host (with Hawkwind as musical guests).

Berry, please ban me if I keep this up.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    If NBC gets its hooks in the movie, they will have Elric, Cymoril, and Yrkoon live together in a rent controlled apartment in New York, where they spend lots of time at a coffee house. Or maybe they will want Strombringer to put some real fear in "Fear Factor."

My bad attempt at DeeCrowSeer's humor. :D

Leave a comment:

• PsychicWarVeteran
    replied
    Yup Bill, I think that's one of the things that is so freaking amazing about MM's work -- it easily more than spans the 18-45 demographic. I know people from nine to fifty who love MM's stories; each gets something different out of them, of course, but that's what makes them so widely appealing. Which is why I'm optimistic with you and Mike that Universal will continue doing it right.

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    I sincerely hope that you are right (and I suspect that you are, at least for the shortterm). It is my experience that NBC a) has all but ditched any pretense at being an innovator in exchange for being a "fast follower", and b) can't take a crap without knowing what the impact would be on the 18-45 demographic. I would imagine that the relative success of TLOR and Chronicles of Riddick coupled with the fact that a good part of your audience falls within that range bodes well.

Sad day that this entire post commenting on the prospects for your movie didn't mention "talent", "desire", "art", or anything related to that.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    I suspect that while Universal continue to do good business, as they are doing, there won't be much intereference from NBC. I'm certainly hoping there won't be, because Universal have a pretty good team at the moment. But in the world of corporate politics, the likes of us can never be absolutely sure what's going on.

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    started a topic NBC-Universal and Elric

NBC-Universal and Elric

Mike, if I recall, you indicated that Universal is sheparding Elric to the silver screen. Does the recent merger between NBC (parent: GE) and Universal impact this in any way?
Working...
X