Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Crossword/poem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossword/poem

I remember in NW seeing an interesting way of presenting a poem - on an empty grid the lines wound back on each other re-using a lot of the earlier letters.
    This stuck in my mind and I've tried to emulate it several times (never managing to perfectly fill the grid but some good song lyrics did come out of the effort :) ).

But alas I sold my old NW collection in a passing fit of poverty in the late 80's (along with Starburst issues 1 - 50something ).
    So if anyone has understood what I'm talking about and has that issue could you tell me the name of the author and perhaps even scan the work for me? There was definitely some MM material in the same issue - a Cornelius episode I think.

I think you're probably thinking of D M Thomas's "Labyrinth", which was in issue 189 back in 1969. By one of those strange coincidences I happened to be reading through that very issue a couple of nights ago!

The idea was to express the thoughts of a pregnant girl over her 9 months. Each month the new text was highlighted (with the previous months' text being retained), so that by month 9 there was a rectangular box almost completely filled with text.

Comment

Langdon Jones did some similar stuff - "two poems: flower gathering and transplant" in "Best SF Stories in New Worlds 7". Not quite so inventive, though, by the sounds of it...
      \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Oops, wasn't logged in when I posted my original reply, so it came up as a Guest - was rushing to meet some friends in the pub. :oops:

Just to add, if you want a scan of Thomas's "Labyrinth", I'd be more than happy to provide one - just let me know where to send it, as I dont think this forum caters for PMs.
        Mike H.
        www.holli.co.uk

Comment

double-ooops!
          Bad DiGi started a thread and didn't click "watch this thread".
          Dear Guest (MikeH), I'd love a scan of Thomas' "Labyrinth".
          dgmac
          at
          curiousgame.com

Comment

I'd wondered what happened there, DiGiMac :)

I'll send you a scan of Labyrinth, and also of the two poems by Lang Jones as one of them may indeed be the piece you'd remembered. Let us know which it was!
            Mike H.
            www.holli.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X