Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

New Worlds collections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Worlds collections

Does anyone here collect New Worlds magazine? Last week on ebay there was a listing for 123 issues (with the exception of 142, the first MM edited issue, they were all from the earlier Nova years) from a UK seller with a starting bid of آ£99. I was sorely tempted - it was actually a re-bid as they didn't sell the first time - but I just couldn't justify buying them even though they would have been an absolute bargain. I have a few of the Nova issues, mainly ones with MM stories in them.

I did have most of the Compact New Worlds until a few years ago when I had to move house and sold a load of books. I kept all the ones that had specific MM stories in them even though now I wish I'd kept the others too. I've got a few back since then, but not all the ones I had.

The magazine format late 60s issues (I don't have any of those) go for a small fortune these days. It'd be interesting to know if anyone has a complete run and how much it cost to assemble if they do 8O
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Re: New Worlds collections

Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
    The magazine format late 60s issues (I don't have any of those) go for a small fortune these days. It'd be interesting to know if anyone has a complete run and how much it cost to assemble if they do 8O
    I completed my collection of the large format New Worlds (1967-1971) earlier this year :D . It took me about a year to get hold of them all, and the total cost was around آ£500; rather more than the Nova and Compact numbers! Some of the more difficult-to-find issues I bought from the estimable John Davey at Jayde Design. The cost of individual issues can vary substantially - let me know if you're interested in the details and where you might get hold of them.
    Mike H.
    www.holli.co.uk

Comment

آ£500 for the whole run of large format issues? That's a lot. I remember over 20 years ago the Andromeda bookshop in Birmingham was asking about آ£10 for a large format New Worlds when the Compact ones were going for about آ£2 or something. It seemed an awful lot back then. They're something I'd love to have but once you get one you want to get the rest!
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
        They're something I'd love to have but once you get one you want to get the rest!
        Yes, it's quite easy to buy a few cheaply and then find that the ones you're missing cost a small fortune. I found several for آ£5 to آ£7, but a couple of the more difficult ones were آ£50 or more. I had the feeling that some of the copies I saw on eBay were collections that people were unable to complete. Beware!
        Mike H.
        www.holli.co.uk

Comment

The paperbacks that I have are:

New Worlds Quarterly #1
          New Worlds Quarterly # 2
          New Worlds Quarterly #4

The Best SF Stories From New Worlds #2

Best Of SF Stories From New Worlds 4

(Eqinox version) New Worlds #5 (a larger soft cover book)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I'm currently reading Best SF Stories from New Worlds 3
            My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Counting Coup!

Originally posted by lemec
              The paperbacks that I have are:

New Worlds Quarterly #1
              New Worlds Quarterly # 2
              New Worlds Quarterly #4

The Best SF Stories From New Worlds #2

Best Of SF Stories From New Worlds 4

(Eqinox version) New Worlds #5 (a larger soft cover book)
              Hi Lemec! I have a few copies in p/back as well:
              Compact NW Nos 158 (Love is an Imaginary Number), 163 (The God Killers) and 166 (Behold The Man)
              Sphere New Worlds 2, 3, 4 and 5
              Best Stories Nos 2,4 and 8.
              I have a spare copy of Best 4, if anyone needs it for their collection?
              He's well smoked

Comment

Working...
              X