Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Dreaming City and other Marvel versions of Elric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dreaming City and other Marvel versions of Elric

Hello everyone.

I am currently working to complete a profile on Elric for a website I
    contribute to. I want to talk about the original books, but I am still
    confused about the dates and names. I understand that the Epic
    miniseries is a fairly faithful adaptation of The Sailor on the Seas of
    Fate, and the Graphic Novel likewise for The Dreaming City. But what
    are their original formats and publishing dates?

Also, other than those two editions and Conan #14-15 and its
    reprints, did Elric or other Moorcock characters ever make it
    into Marvel comics?

Best,

Luis.

Re: The Dreaming City and other Marvel versions of Elric

Originally posted by Luis Dantas
    Also, other than those two editions and Conan #14-15 and its reprints, did Elric or other Moorcock characters ever make it
    into Marvel comics?
    In 1991 there was a sequel to Conan/Elric story-arc called "Eye of the Storm". 40-page b&w comic featuring Gaynor the Damned and other Moorcock's characters (except for Elric himself) appeared in Marvel's "The Savage Sword of Conan the Barbarian" #189.
    Preview:
    http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bi...95699216%20189

Comment

Does this lot help?

A) Elric: Return to Melnibonأ© (originally as La Saga D’Elric Le Necromancien, FR 1969, 1972), an art portfolio cum graphic novel with art by Philippe Druillet. Moorcock wrote the text for the English edition. Long known as one of the rarest pieces of Moorcockiana, this was redressed when it was finally republished by Jayde Design in 1997.

B) Elric teamed up with Conan in the Marvel Comics series, “Conan the Barbarian�:

Issue 14, A Sword Called Stormbringer (March 1972)
      Issue 15, The Green Empress of Melnibonأ© (May 1972)

Both stories were by Roy Thomas, based on plots by Moorcock and James Cawthorn, with art by Barry Smith. The story also includes appearances by Prince Gaynor the Damned, Arkyn, Arioch and Xiombarg. Both issues have been reprinted several times, firstly in “Giant-Size Conan� issue 5 (1975) and later collected in “The Essential Conan� (2000).

C) Stormbringer (Savoy, 1976), by James Cawthorn, an oversized comic adaptation of the novel, concentrating on the final section, Doomed Lord’s Passing. The splash page is also reproduced in SOJAN.

D) The Prisoner of Pan Tang by Eric Kimball and Bob Gould appeared in “Star*Reach� issue 6 (1976) with an Elric cover by Jeff Jones. Also reprinted in “Star*Reach Greatest Hits� (1981).

E) Elric, an adaptation of 17 by Frank Brunner appeared in “Heavy Metal� issues Vol. 3 No. 5 (September 1979) and Vol. 3 No. 7 (November 1979).

F) The Dreaming City by Roy Thomas and P. Craig Russell was published as Marvel Graphic Novel No. 2 (1982). The first half was also serialised in Marvel’s “Epic� magazine, Vol. 1 No. 3 to Vol. 1 No. 4 (1980).

G) While the Gods Laugh, also by Thomas and Russell, appeared in “Epic� Vol. 1 No. 14 (1982) along with an interview with Russell about his Elric adaptations.

H) Sword of Dragonus, by Frank Brunner, in “The Unknown Worlds of Frank Brunner� issue 2 (PC comics, 1983).

I) Elric of Melnibonأ©, an adaptation by Thomas, Russell and Michael T. Gilbert was published in six issues by Pacific Comics (1984) and collected with additional artwork as a graphic novel by First Comics (1986).

J) The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (First Comics, 7 issues, 1985-6), with artwork by Michael T. Gilbert and George Freeman. Also collected as a graphic novel (1987).

K) The Weird of the White Wolf (First Comics, 5 issues, 1986-7), included a revised version of F and reprint of G, above, and new adaptations of the other stories in the book by Roy Thomas and George Freeman. Also collected as a graphic novel (1990).

L) Law and Chaos (Father Tree Press, 1987) by Wendy Pini contains production sketches and finished cels for an aborted animated version of STORMBRINGER.

M) The Vanishing Tower (First Comics, 6 issues, 1987-8 ), an adaptation by Roy Thomas and Jan Duurseema. The visualisation of Erekosأ« in this version is identical to that in (J), above, rather than the “blackâ€? version of the novel.

N) The Bane of the Black Sword (First Comics, 6 issues, 1988-9), an adaptation by Mark Pacella, Nicholas Koenig and Mary Mitchell.

O) Stormbringer (Dark Horse / Topps, 7 issues, 1997), an adaptation by P. Craig Russell. Also collected as a graphic novel (1998).

There may be others as I compiled this list a good few years ago, but I think it was comprehensive at the time...
      "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl f'tagn"

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOldOne
        There may be others as I compiled this list a good few years ago, but I think it was comprehensive at the time...
        We at Multiverse.org are currently preparing a database of MM's (and related) comics. I have collected some 150 issues, but am still looking for more. Do you, dear GreatOldOne, have an access to comics number A (French edition), B (Giant Size and Essential), E (Heavy Metal issues), G (Heavy Metal), J & K (TPBs) and L? And if you do, could you send us scans of the covers and some additional bibliographical data?

Comment

A - No (you know how rare that is, right?)

B - Not the GS, but I do have the "Essential" TPB. These strips were also published in the UK in digest issues and standard UK comic size in the 80's (exact dates unknown, but maybe one of the Conan websites will have details) back when Conan was quite big and Marvel were chucking the early issues of the comic out at every opportunity.

E - Yes
          G - Yes

J, K & L - No

Not much help, I'm afraid, but I'll gladly scan the one's I have (it'll be Sunday before I get a chance) if you let me know where you want them sending.

Comment

Thanks a lot! You can find my e-mail address below. Please copy it and let me know when you did, for I'm gonna delete it from my profile a.s.a.p.

Comment

Got it!

I'll e-mail you on Sunday....

Comment

Scans sent today.
                Let me know if they're alright.

Comment

Scans sent today.
                  Let me know if they're alright.
                  Arrived. Thanks a lot. Haven't you received my e-mail?

Comment

Possibly. I only check that particular one every week or two.

Comment

Elric TPB's

Any ideas as to where in the UK one could purchase a copy of (particularly) the P Craig Russell Elric's or TPB's..?

Comment

I think most are out of print now, but haunting the comic shops and comic marts may pay dividends eventually (and the hunt can be very satisfying).
                        And there's always e-Bay.

Comment

Does this lot help?

B) Elric teamed up with Conan in the Marvel Comics series, “Conan the Barbarian�:

Issue 14, A Sword Called Stormbringer (March 1972)
                          Issue 15, The Green Empress of Melnibonأ© (May 1972)

Both stories were by Roy Thomas, based on plots by Moorcock and James Cawthorn, with art by Barry Smith. The story also includes appearances by Prince Gaynor the Damned, Arkyn, Arioch and Xiombarg. Both issues have been reprinted several times, firstly in “Giant-Size Conan� issue 5 (1975) and later collected in “The Essential Conan� (2000).
                          The Essential Conan, which is now out-of-print - and going to stay this way- was in B&W (as all of the books in Marvel's Essential series). However, these 2 stories are now available in full restored color as part of The Monster of the Monoliths and Other Stories (Chronicles of Conan, Book 3) from Dark Horse Comics (who also published, among other things, Elric: Stormbringer from P. Craig Russell).

Comment

Working...
                          X