Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Kane of Mars! (WARNING: Extraordinary Gentlemen 2 spoiler.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kane of Mars! (WARNING: Extraordinary Gentlemen 2 spoiler.)

I'm sure this is old news now, but I've just read the second League of Extraordinary Gentlemen graphic novel and was delighted by the way Mars is re-mythologised by Alan Moore in its pages. The premise seems to be that several races and individuals who originally featured in a variety of classic Mars SF stories in fact ALL inhabit the planet at once! This kind of concatenation is entirely in keeping with the whole LOEG idea, of course. We meet John Carter and Tars Tarkas, but first of all we encounter someone who has to be Edwin L Arnold's Lt. Gulliver Jones (complete with flying carpet). In conversation they allude to MM's Kane, but as the founder of a dynasty in the distant past. This seems to fit the chronology of the various stories, if memory serves.

Carter and Gulliver are at war with another race, which turns out to be Wells's Martians. The reason the latter mount their invasion of Earth is that they're driven off Mars by the other lot. Damn clever. Too bad Kane didn't get to make a proper appearance, though. Wonder what the inter-author protocol is in these situations? Does one just drop the other a line and ask?

Sounds interesting! I love the John Carter of Mars stories. My dad introduced me to them when I was a kid. I haven't read the Kane stories yet, but I plan to shell out the $50 for the omnibus very soon.

Tad Williams uses a romantic version of Mars in his "Otherland" novels (in the first novel, I think, its just one of many settings). They are pretty decent books for fat fantasy.

I am a huge fan of Mars stories, myself, as long as they are not the standard little green men stuff. I love the Martian Chronicles.

Comment

Unfortunately, the action on Mars is only the prologue to the story. I was quite excited to see all those action-heroes brought together and was hoping to see more of it as the comicbook progressed. However all the action then takes place on Earth and the Martian heroes do not feature further...

Even so, the book is hugely enjoyable and certain characters definately get what's coming to them :twisted:

Comment

Im excited to see where Alan Moore is gonna go with the series next. I read an interview where he said hes going to stop writing mainstream comics and hes mainly just going to do an "League" series every so often. He hinted that he may use new characters and form a new team to keep it interesting.

Poor Invisible Man...anyone whos read vol.2 knows what im talking about...

Comment

Originally posted by dlackey
          Sounds interesting! I love the John Carter of Mars stories. My dad introduced me to them when I was a kid. I haven't read the Kane stories yet, but I plan to shell out the $50 for the omnibus very soon.
          dlackey:

Which omnibus are you refering to? I a a big fan of the Carter series as well and would be interested in an Omnibus collection of the stories.

Thanks

Comment

Kane of Old Mars vs John Carter

Hehehehehehe....

I am a LOEG enthusiast.

I am reading the second series as it is being serialized on the monthly magazine presenting all of Alan Moore's America's Best Comics series.

But apart from the fact that as far as I know the Mars sequence was meant just to be a prologue with no influence on the rest ot the tale
            I doubt that an apperance of Kane would have suited it.

Kane was himself an homage to Burrogh's John Carter (hmmmm...a JC dude...just like Jerry Cornelius James Colvin etc etc etc.....;-) and it was so closely modeled on him to make a meeting of the two much too awkward.

See you soon,

Paolo.

Comment

Originally posted by McTalbayne
              Im excited to see where Alan Moore is gonna go with the series next. I read an interview where he said hes going to stop writing mainstream comics and hes mainly just going to do an "League" series every so often.
              Poor Alan has been trying to do that for 15 years.

Comment

It was really neat to see Alan Moore putting all the different versions of Mars together into one story, even the Sorns from Lewis' Out of the Silent Planet, even though that version of Mars really couldn't fit in with League's. If nothing else, Malacandra would have squashed the mollusks like they were cockroaches.
                Cloudscape Comics
                A society of independent comic creators in Vancouver
                "Connecting the BC comics community since 2008"

Comment

Working...
                X