Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Michael Moorcock's Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Moorcock's Multiverse

Still looking for a copy of this old Graphic Novel. I'm going to see if I can find it online or something soon. Anyone here read/own it? Any reviews?

Thanos

Multiverse graphic novel

Ho, young Thanosage (removes floppy hat and pipe). The book's still imprint or certainly was until very recently since I'm still getting royalty
    checks (cheques) for it! You can get it on Amazon and should be able to order it from any bookseller. There are decent second hand copies available, too, I think.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

MM's Multiverse

I just realised how ironic and funny it is that Michael Moorcock's Multiverse is a "graphic novel" (comic). You see... if any of you know of the working relationship/rivalry between DC Comics and Marvel Comics (Argueably the two biggest comic companies ever, similar to the rivalry between Pepsi and Coke) then you'll be aware that (as far as comics go) they are viewed to be two different dimentions/universes. So for a long time there is the DC Universe and the Marvel Universe... and then Mike comes along with Michael Moorcock's Multiverse... which obviously dwarfs the puny universes of said parties.

Just thought that was funny,

Thanos

Comment

I wish I would have ordered a copy of P Craig Russell and Mr. M.'s "Stormbringer" graphic novel. I guess I'll have to buy it 2nd hand somewhere. I saw one of the issues at a comic shop and it looked great, but unfortunately, they did not have all 6. I'd really like to find all of the Elric comics, but they are hard to come by now. "Sailor on the Seas of Fate" would be the ones I would really want.

i also need to track down a copy of the much referred to but never actually seen a copy of "Swords of Heaven, Flowers of hell".

I think it would be cool if all of the Hawkmoon, Erekose, Elric, and Corum books were re-done as comics with new artists. Now that would be awesome. What are there- 6 original Elric books, 6 Corum, 7 Hawkmoon and 3 Erekose, 22 books total. At about 5 issues per book or so, that would be about 110 issues. That would rock! Especially if all 4 series ran at the same time. Oh well I can dream.

Comment

Hey everyone...

I'm brand-spanking new here and stretching my wings a little bit.

The Multiverse maxi-series is one of my favourite comic series in a long time from DC, featuring the stellar artwork of Walt Simonson who is also a long time fave of mine (More Star Slammers Walt!). I'm really looking forward to that Elric mini!

Anyway, I actually interviewed Walt Simonson right before MMM #1 came out and we talked about his work on that series as well as working with Mr. Moorcock. If anyone is interested, I could dig up the dusty old thing, post it online and make a link to it.

Just let me know.

mike

Comment

I think MMM holds the distinction of being the 1 Graphic novel I've ever read in which I had no clue what on Earth was going on. The art was pretty and when the story was concentrated on the first two Seaton Blegg mysteries or Duke Elric (although Duke Elric seemed rather disjointed in places although that may be due to the artist.) I could seem to understand, but with the main Rose storyline with the subplot of Captain Pearl was just confusing.

The last few chapters in which Elric meets Moonglum again and absorbs the Eternal Champion with Stormbringer just got totally confusing. But also, I have to say that very little research was done by some of the artists concerning Stormbringer itselt, looks less a Black Hell blade and looks more like a runed broadsword.

Comment

Okay, I've read it in its entirity a second time and I think that apart from the Captain Pearl stuff (which in Blood and Fantastic Harbours) is impossible to comprehende, 3M is a very enjoyable, if at times, out there read.

Comment

Second Ether

Bah Manmiles! The second ether makes since. When you read it you have to alter your consciousness a bit though. Instead of trying to comprehend what you are reading... you have to just read, compile the information, and go on. I was so very close to putting the book down myself, but I was determined to understand what the hell was going on. So I continued despite being very confused and after a time it all made since.

One of the things that Mike has done with his work, that I deeply respect, is he doesn't bother explaining the situations in his stories. Mike doesn't hold your hand throughout the series, explaining every little thing. Heck, I've read JC stories where I thought one thing was going on... only to later find out that I was totally wrong in my assumption and had to go back and start over!

Now, to me the Second Ether is like a higher state of being. It's not on the same wavelength that you and I are. Thus making it very difficult to understand. It would be like someone speaking in a different language. You're capable of listening to them... but it's the understanding part that is difficult. BUT as with foreign languages, if you immerse yourself in them you find that it really isn't that difficult after a time. So my suggestion to anyone reading anything involving the Second Ether is to completely loose yourself and who you are. Let the story carry you and once you figure out how to float effectively... swimming comes naturally.

Also… Berry if you’re reading this, would it be possible to get the old scans of MMM online again? Google still points to the old links and that post on Amazon.com about them is still there. Unfortunately I didn’t save them, hopefully you still have them.

Thanos

Comment

Re: Second Ether

Originally posted by ThanosShadowsage
                  Bah Manmiles! The second ether makes since. When you read it you have to alter your consciousness a bit though. Instead of trying to comprehend what you are reading... you have to just read, compile the information, and go on. I was so very close to putting the book down myself, but I was determined to understand what the hell was going on. So I continued despite being very confused and after a time it all made since.

One of the things that Mike has done with his work, that I deeply respect, is he doesn't bother explaining the situations in his stories. Mike doesn't hold your hand throughout the series, explaining every little thing. Heck, I've read JC stories where I thought one thing was going on... only to later find out that I was totally wrong in my assumption and had to go back and start over!

Now, to me the Second Ether is like a higher state of being. It's not on the same wavelength that you and I are. Thus making it very difficult to understand. It would be like someone speaking in a different language. You're capable of listening to them... but it's the understanding part that is difficult. BUT as with foreign languages, if you immerse yourself in them you find that it really isn't that difficult after a time. So my suggestion to anyone reading anything involving the Second Ether is to completely loose yourself and who you are. Let the story carry you and once you figure out how to float effectively... swimming comes naturally.

Also… Berry if you’re reading this, would it be possible to get the old scans of MMM online again? Google still points to the old links and that post on Amazon.com about them is still there. Unfortunately I didn’t save them, hopefully you still have them.

Thanos
                  I have yet to master the alteration of my conciousness. I read the 2nd Ether Trilogy while working at a McDonalds.....I was trying to maintain my individuality, don't get me wrong, I loved the books....they just.....lost me in places.

Comment

Okay, this thread seems pretty dead, nonetheless I'll go ahead... reading MMM in single magazine form, one every month, is an incredibly bad idea. I didn't understand anything except for bits and snippets here and there of Duke Elric and sir Seaton, I very nearly gave the whole thing up five or six times. Then I reread the series in it's entirety and, well, silly old me... to think that I ever doubted! MMM is a comics landmark, intelligent, innovative, and, as has been pointed out, it is confident in the intellectual abilities of its readers, which would have made it unique if Grant Morrison wasn't out there.

And yes, the language barrier is no kind of obstacle. Just smash it down.

Comment

I really enjoyed reading these comics. I'm not a big comics guy, but I was happy to go to the bookstore and pick up the next issue in the serial. The art was magnificent on two of the series. The Rose story is a curiosity.

I had a chance to talk to Michael and Linda about MMM. I was having difficulty interpreting the Machinoix (sp?), fishling, sliplings and the numerous other denizens of the multiverse. The information is so alien and disconnected, it’s no wonder one would have trouble reading it.

Paraphrasing:

BS: What do the fishlings represent, and what about the Machinoix?

MM: I don't know. You see. I'm not trying to intellectualize.

BS: I like the Chaos Engineers. But they seem to be very focused on what they need. They seem to be searching a lot. “Where’s Pearl? Where’s Rose? Where’s Spammer?�

LM: Do they seem like free spirits to you?

BS: They seem like children.

They seemed like a Rock and Roll band to me.

It took me a long time to really understand. I think I do now. When some people write, they are following that internal natural logic. Parts of the stories have dream like qualities. The events unfold in a very natural but confusing dreamlike flow. As mentioned many times before, it is amazing how, after reading MMM, the second read is so fulfilling. That natural internal logic takes command and you’ve had lots of time to make natural connections in your mind in the background.

What is great about MMM is that there is a lot of humor. I got a laugh when I discovered what happens to Spammer Gain at the very end. There is also satire of Hitler. I used to have trouble understanding why anyone would put such a monster into a story. Michael has mentioned that a great way to take the power away from a fiend. When he parodies Hitler and others, it’s more difficult to take them and their fiendish junk seriously. Alas, Bush is a parody with power.

Michael has a wonderful way of integrating his real life into his stories. A fine example is the dragon in the third story. I didn’t notice until he told me, but Flamefang’s body and poses isn’t dragon like at all. And this is the trouble he has referred to with the artist on this project. The dragon is aping a cat. That’s right. Flamefang reflects the behavior of Michael’s cats! They had to send the artwork back time and again because the artist couldn’t get it right.

It’s a challenging read. After all, the book does a lot to explain the mechanics of the multiverse. This graphic novel, Michael Moorcock’s Multiverse, is excellent.
                      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

I recently started looking for the graphic novel and have been unable to find it. Is it out of print now? Does anyone have any leads as to where I might find a new copy in the Tacoma area?
                        Don\'t blame me; I voted for Trixitroxi Ro!

Comment

Or, can I 'borrow' your copies Berry? :twisted:
                          Don\'t blame me; I voted for Trixitroxi Ro!

Comment

Originally posted by duggm
                            Or, can I 'borrow' your copies Berry? :twisted:
                            Sure dude, you can borrow it. There's a new coffee shop on 12th. We could meet up there one day over Thanksgiving? What day is good for you? It could be a quick drop off.
                            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by duggm
                              I recently started looking for the graphic novel and have been unable to find it. Is it out of print now? Does anyone have any leads as to where I might find a new copy in the Tacoma area?
                              You can get it through Amazon.com, or you can still order it through any comic book shop or your local Waldenbooks/Borders stores. DC keeps it in print. It's a great read, and has some incredible Walter Simonson artwork inside. It reads like the Best of Moorcock of the 1980-1990's, with Rose, Paul Van Mict/Gaynor, and the Second Ether all rolled up into a nice package, with a Zenith bow tie :twisted:

Well worth getting.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X