Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Grimjack: Johnny Melbibone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    John Ostrander and Tim Truman: Moorcock fans deluxe

I stumbled across this thread by accident, and am quite glad I did. John Ostrander, the writer of Grimjack, and I are both huge Moorcock fans-- which is quite evident in our work, of course. Although I didn't draw the "Johnny Melnibone" issue of Grimjack (art was by Flint Henry. I'd moved on to other projects by then), there's sure to be a bit of Moorcock influence throughout the series. Moorcock's work has cast such an omnipresent shadow over the entire fantasy and SF field, especially fantasy of the darker sort, such as Grimjack.

Few people know that, during his days in Chicago, at the time he was writing the earliest Grimjack adventures, John had a beautiful white german shepherd named "Elric".

Anyway, had to say hello. Carry on.

Timothy Truman

http://www.timothytruman.com

Leave a comment:

• Jeffrey Stadt
    replied
    Hi All. Issue #76 was the second Johnny Melnibone story; the first one was during John Gaunt's/Grimjack's first incarnation, and is alluded to in the later issue (if memory serves, without rifling through my Grimjack collection this late at night).

Grimjack is one of THE best science fiction/fantasy series PERIOD, regardless of medium. The new mini-series is due in January, with the first collection of the original run in trades entitled The Legend of Grimjack. Volume 1 hits in January as well.

Roger Zelazny was a fan of the series, and paid homage to Grimjack and creator John Ostrander in his second Amber series, with the character Old John (I think that was his name). Zelazny also wrote the introduction to the only Grimjack graphic novel, Demon Knight (there's always one up at Ebay, it seems).

Grimjack is set in at the nexus of realities, a city called Cynosure that is sort of like Trizeen, where all other realities eventually come into phase. In some dimension technology work, in others only magic, swords work in all.

Do yourselves a favor and buy the first trade in January -- you will not be disappointed.

Cheers,

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Kitsune
    replied

Leave a comment:

• McTalbayne
    replied
    I never even heard of this.

Leave a comment:

• Kitsune
    replied
    I also remember Elrod of Melvinbone in Cerebus... "I have a pointy hat, that means status, you can't argue with status."

Leave a comment:

• ThomasL
    replied
    That was definately a great issue.
    Not just for the obvious MM nod (which was cool by itself), but also for the roots of Rock n Roll statement.

I can't wait for new Grimjack material now that the rights to the product have been won back! :D

Hands down, probably my all-time favorite comic book!

TL

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    Originally posted by Kitsune
    So does anyone remember the "JOhny Melnibone" story from Grimjack.... He had a black Rune Carved Stratocaster.....l
    You mean this one?

[broken link]

Here's a reference to it I found via Google:

[broken link]

And here is a quote in someone's sig file:

"May their souls rot in easy-listening hell!" - Johnny Melnibone, GRIMJACK #76

and here is a thread talking about Johnny's sword Soulsinger:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=jo...phi.com&rnum=3

You can order back stock here:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bi...FIR&snumber=61
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-21-2010, 02:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kitsune
    started a topic Grimjack: Johnny Melbibone

Grimjack: Johnny Melbibone

So does anyone remember the "JOhny Melnibone" story from Grimjack.... He had a black Rune Carved Stratocaster.....l

Originally posted by jeffreyastadt
    Mike,

So this is it! THE END. It just seemed like yesterday that it all began (a joke). I'm going to miss all of the champions, but every good thing must surely end... sometime.

It's been a good while since I last posted to this forum, but I've regularly checked in, and was/am quite pleased with the word of NEW comics/graphic novel in the works. I haven't bought any monthlies in years, but the new Elric mini-series with Walt Simonson's art is making me break a few habits. Now if you can just get Swords of Heaven... reprinted (the time is right, with the return/reprints of Chaykin's American Flagg, and sci-fi greats Grimjack and Scout headed back into print in early 2005).

Well, enjoy the feeling of finishing the novel, and the series. It's been a wonderful run, and I look forward to even more groundbreaking and challenging work from your retirement :)

Best,

Jeffrey A. Stadt
Working...
X