Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Blood Red Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Blood Red Game

A fantastic find by my beloved, a mayflower edition in good condition. and a bloody good read.

Lots of the kind of stuff you expect from Moorcock, multiverse etc... but also lots of things I didn't expect.

Top quality science fiction that made me think of Asimov and similar, this book looks outward, towards the future of the human race in the way that pedestrian stuff like star trek just doesn't.

It really made me think, "people just don't write books like this any more"

I assume that the "sundered worlds" collection contains this story, anyone know the other books in this series?

I can't recomend this book enough ;)
    \"It got worse. He needed something to cure himself. What? he asked. M-A 19 he answered.\"

Thanks Doc,

The Phoenix in Obsidian and The Dragon in the Sword I'm familiar with. I was hoping for something following on from the events in BRG.

Its a shame MM hasn't written any more in this vein, many of the characters seemed to have a lot more milage left in them when the story ended.

what Champion does "To rescue Tanelorn" feature?
    \"It got worse. He needed something to cure himself. What? he asked. M-A 19 he answered.\"

Comment

The Blood Red Game is different (in a good way) than just about anything else, even the titles that are marginally related.

To Rescue Tanelorn is a short story, and is mostly about Rackhir, the Warrior Priest. I always thought that more Rackhir stories would have been interesting, but (like with Blood Red Game) sometimes we just have to appreciate what we get. If only we knew how to twist MM's arm to get him to write what WE want...
      :lol:

Comment

It might be presumptouos of me, but I suspect our every Q&A thread affects him. So, we may not get the scenaroes we are after, but we'll get stuff that has been influenced by us all. Maybe we'll recognized ourselves in his current and future.

I still get butterflies when I consider the amazing discourse we enjoy. (I'm not tootling my own horn or taking credit for anything or looking for yet another atta-boy (you guys are so kind, and yet when I get on this topic I get so self-concious)). The site attracts people with data and elicits information from Michael daily. How can we not affect him?
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Of course, Berry, you are personally mentioned in the dedication to Dreamthief's Daughter.

I agree with you that we're very lucky to have this forum (at the risk of bruising your back with more pats on it). If these discussions make MM think about things half as much as they make me think, then some of these ideas are bound to show up somewhere in a story or two.

Speaking for myself, this is an amazing place to share ideas and feel like I'm actually engaging people. Maybe it's a sad commentary on the world in which we live when it takes being on line to engage people with ideas. Or worse, maybe it's a sad commentary on myself. :)

Comment

The Blood Red Game is my all time favorite Sci-Fi story.

Thanos

Comment

M-A_19 wrote:
              Its a shame MM hasn't written any more in this vein, many of the characters seemed to have a lot more milage left in them when the story ended.
              It's a while since I read it, but The Rituals of Infinity seemed to have certain similarities, being an early exploration of the theories of the multiverse. :?:

I tried re-reading TBRG recently, and have to confess I got fed up with it. :oops:
              \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

The Rituals of Infinity also seemed to share a few ideas with Dark City and The Matrix - although I wouldn't say it directly influenced either (after all, PKD made a career out of such stuff, and I would guess Mike had his antescendents for the idea too). Is all that we see, just a dream within a dream?

Comment

I confused it with Blood . So what is it and what is it like

Comment

Well, Mon amis, it is nothing at all like Blood (a fantastic novel) and a bit like Cosmic Engineers by Clifford D Simak or several short stories by Asimov where the human race attemps to deal with the threat presented by universal entropy.

It is classic sci-fi in the extremely-heroic heros kind of a vien, but being by Moorcock it is a lot more subtle and quite cerebral.

I enjoyed it :D

Comment

Working...
                    X