Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Cornelius Family Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cornelius Family Tree

Minor Spoilers Possible!!!

I've just reached the end of The Cornelius Quartet [pauses to pat self on back], and consequently Condition of Muzak, and I was wondering... has anyone ever attempted to draw out the Cornelius family tree described by Mrs Cornelius? It seemed to make a certain amount of sense as I was going through it, although there are a few branches left unexplained. Just curious, because I was considering giving it a go, but if someone else has done so already it will save me the ink, and allow more time to move on to the next book. :)

D...
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

I did it on an exercise book in biro about twenty or so years ago, young sir. But I have moved house too often now to lay hands on it. Sorry! If I remember, it started out clear enough, but the various incests began to make the tree a bit like a corkscrew hazel.

I think you should undertake the exercise in the new magnetic media and share the fruits of your labour with us all - as a draughtsperson, your writing will be about 400 times better than my scrawl in any case. :)
    \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Corkscrew as in Mandelbrot set?

I'd post that family tree here at MWM.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Well, I'll start constructing a super-computer somewhere under Sweden, and feed the data in... I can't make any promises though.

This may very well require crayons of many hues...

D.

Comment

My neighbour, the Major, asks that you tread carefully, lest you besmirch the honour of a lady. He is suffering enough just now, as a former Queen's Lancastrian. Elizabeth pops in every so often with a basket of groceries for him, but she is getting on herself, and can't manage as well as she used to.

Comment

Well, for better of worse, my attempt can be found at:

http://uk.geocities.com/deecrowseer/...mily_Tree.html

I think it will conclusively prove how wrong zakt was about my penmanship if nothing else!

That took pretty much all of today to complete, so I don't feel like looking at it again now, but if you want a more "professional" looking version with computer fonts and straight lines Berry, I could probably try again at a later date.

I can't quite remember why I thought this would be a good idea.

D...

Comment

Not coming up, DCS, but it might just be me! Almost certainly, in fact. Get out and enjoy the sunshine now, it is 20 degrees C in Scotland. Most unusual! :D

Comment

Um... sorry Zakt, don't know what to suggest. As far as I can tell, it's there.

Ooh, I also meant to say that I've only read the first four Cornelius books so far, but I'll be happy to add new details if any should crop up in other stories... obviously, I'd prefer it if spoilers weren't posted here, please and thank you.

Meanwhile, that's very good advice Zakt. I hear the beach a-callin' my name.

D...

Comment

Definitely not there - properties is coming up with file:///C:/My%20Documents/Duncan/DeeCee/cornelius01.gif - which suggests the pic is still on your hard drive!
                  Statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy.

Comment

DCS: email that image to me as an attachment.

The image is on your computer still and unaccessible via the Internet.
                    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Ah yes... I see what you mean. How strange. It's never done that to me before... unless none of the cartoons on my site are visible, and everyone is just too polite to say anything!

Sorry to lead everyone on a wild goose chase. :oops:

Berry, the .gif should be on its way to you now... hope it isn't too much of an anti-climax.

D...

Comment

Here it is:

[broken link]
                        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-21-2010, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Great stuff DCS!

Were you drinking/ smoking:
                          A) When you thought it would be a good idea
                          B) When you decided to start it
                          C) While you were doing it
                          D) After you finished
                          E) All the above

:lol:

Thanks for posting it for us Berry.

Comment

Bless you Berry!

Actually, Doc, I simply felt it was my public duty to warn the world about the sort of chap they were dealing with if they threw their lot in with that shady Cornelius chap. It saddens me that poor, innocent Mitzi ever got tangled up with such debauched "people"... which is why, thinking only of her delicate sensibilities, I left her off of the tree altogether... though if Mrs Cornelius is to be believed, it would seem that Mitzi and Jerry might even be cousins!

Once again, I am shocked, stunned, etc...

D.

Comment

Never mind, Bish, she told me that after her Dad, her cousin was quite socially acceptable!

JC

Comment

Working...
                              X