Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

elusive quote and frustration evoked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would wager its even less than a dollar. Once you have the production out of the way and have a "master" to make copies from, all you are spending money on is the cost of a blank CD (pennies) and the electricity to run the machines that burn and label them. Of course, you have to promote them and put them in cases with pretty gfx, but the actual cost of the CD itself is very small I bet.

Maybe if you factor in all the other jobs associated with the creation of the finished product (which are done in-house mostly) you could approach a value of a dollar. Not sure.
    When they had advanced together to meet on common
    ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
    and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
    each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
    mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
    killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Much of it is talent and marketing fees. I thought I read somewhere that big artists (stadium acts) can get up to $2 or slightly more per disc.

Comment

Tom Petty had this to say in Rolling Stone back in October of 2002:

"My top price [for a concert ticket] is about sixty-five dollars, and I turn a very healthy profit on that; I make millions on the road. I see no reason to bring the price up, even though I have heard many an anxious promoter say, 'We could charge 150 bucks for this.'"

And with regard to CD prices:

"It's funny how the music industry is enraged about the Internet and the way things are copied without being paid for. But you know why people steal the music? Because they can't afford the music... If you brought CD prices back down to $8.98, you would solve a lot of the industry's problems.... Everyone still makes a healthy profit; it might get the music business back on its feet."

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/new....asp?nid=16913

I know, no hard figures in there, but it demonstrates that there are insane mark-ups on musical entertainment.
        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

I am a big fan of classical music and Nxos label is doing brilliantly there discs sell for آ£5 when full prices ones would be آ£15. They only release new digital recordings and do a very broad range of music a lot of stuff not recorded before or currently unavaliable. I think they have really given the major classical labels a run for there money. I also get the idea that the majors ain't to clean on these cheap skates.
          MEEP !

Comment

Working...
          X