Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

elusive quote and frustration evoked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elusive quote and frustration evoked

hey gang... random bit of trivia here but it's driving a spike through my higher synaptic processes: there is an elric line in one of the set of 6 and i am fairly certain its between weird of the white wolf and stormbringer (ya know, only half). the line is basically elric stating that he is never moved by love but only by hate and other good time self-renunciation. i can't remember the full line or in which book it is in and it's driving me six shades of batty. i've thumbed through the books again but the line has yet to jump out at me. it's not exactly rocket surgery, but if anyone could illuminate my forgetfullness, that would be super duper.
    peace in the provinces...
    -rcr

Originally from "The Vanishing Tower" but also in the White Wolf hardcover edition "Elric: The Stealer of Souls" at pages 41-42 (The Sleeping Sorceress, Chapter 8: A Great Host Screaming):

"I do not love Yishana," he said distantly, as if scarcely aware of Theleb K'aarna's presence. "It is your jealous heart that makes you think so. I left Yishana's side to find you. It is never love that moves Elric of Melnibonأ©, sorcerer, but always hatred."

"I do not believe you," Theleb K'aarna tittered. "When the whole South falls to me and my comrades, then will I court Yishana and offer to make her Queen of all the West as well as all the South. Our forces united, we shall dominate the Earth!"

"You Pan Tangians were ever an insecure breed, forever planning conquest for its own sake, forever seeking to destroy the equilibrium of the Young Kingdoms."

"One day," sneered Theleb K'aarna, "Pan Tang will have an empire that will make the Bright Empire seem a mere flickering ember in the fire of history. But it is not for the glory of Pan Tang that I do this. . . ."

"It is for Yishana? By the gods, sorcerer, then I am glad I'm motivated by hatred and not by love, for I do not half the damage, it seems, done by those in love...."

"I will lay the south at Yishana's feet and she may use it as she pleases!"

"I am bored by this..."

Comment

good find Krunky!!!

Comment

danke schon, darling, danke schon

you have my eternal gratitude because that was driving me bonkers.
        thanks a bushel.

Comment

Holy script editors, krunkman.
          You spent alot of time looking for that
          or my money is on you, to win in Elric trivia. 8)

Who was the chaos lord that had the giant slave clock
          in Corum-(King of Swords?)
          Was it Malhab?

http://www.zakas.org/SB_Prez-1_zakas_J.jpg

Comment

Krunky, that was impressive. Nice.

Comment

Since this was bumped up by the recent data loss, I have returned to explain how I scored the quote quickly and easily.

I had downloaded an illicit version of the Elric series offline some months back, all I had to do was search the text quickly for keywords. The copy I have is by no means perfect, but it is serviceable.

Now before anyone freaks out, while I can't justify the actions of the uploader - my own actions are justified by the ownership of probably 3-4 complete versions of the Elric series in book form. I have the old DAW Whalen series, I have the Sci-fi bookclub editions (3 volumes), I have the odd volume here and there in various other forms (for example the two red slipcased editions), and I have the White Wolf hardbacks.

I think it's okay for me to have a searchable digital copy at this point, but I am willing to entertain arguments to the contrary.

Now, what precisely the fuck I am doing with so many copies of the same shit is up for review. I should probably lighten my load of books, no doubt. I used to keep some of these around as loaners, but I haven't loaned them in forever. I'll probably sell or give away at least half of my repeated stuff soonish. My nephew looks like he needs some Elric books anyway...

Comment

The only thing I could see is that by downloading, you perpetuate the rip-off system by giving encouragement to thieves. But that's almost insubstantial, since the guy would still be offering the stuff for download whether you had downloaded it or not. :?
                "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Believe it or not - the edition is only useful for someone that is desperate or wants a searchable copy (as I did). There are tons of errors in it, although one could read it and not mind that part too much I suppose. But it's still just a series of text files, nothing fancy about them at all.

I'm sure people would argue the point, but I expect it's good advertising. I wouldn't want the digital copy as my only copy given an option, but it is nice to have access to it.

For example: Kraftwerk is one of my fav bands of all time. They released a cd last year that I had some trouble finding at first, so I downloaded it. The digital copies were okay, but since some of the songs segued I kept getting those annoying "breaks" in the music via the MP3 player. So I bought a copy to rip to my music server, songs that seque one to another get ripped as a single Mp3 file. Problem solved. Everybody's happy - the RIAA and the artists got paid. The download served as impetus to buy the original arifact. {edit: I forgot one detail, the original copies of the CD were copy protected against ripping, that was the problem! How stupid of them...]

Interestingly, I gather the basic Elric series is not available in the States new at this point - but one can buy two sequel texts. Doesn't the illicit downloadable "Elric Series" file serve as an entry point for a new reader? Having liked that material, it's hard to imagine the reader would not then buy the two available sequels.

Elsewhere MM mentioned some kind of publishing strategy on the part of his agent. And with a possible film release, it's easy to assume some of the reasons they may be waiting for another printing of the whole series. Still, I wouldn't mind knowing what the supposed strategy entails. If one waits too long, the street finds its own uses for things - illegal, infringing, or otherwise.

BTW, it occurs to me that the whole Elric series may be available via the Sci-Fi book club. Yeah, it looks like one could join the bookclub and get all 3!
                  http://www.sfbc.com/doc/full_site_en...equestid=34575

Okay, so now I will revise my thinking and merely assert that any future omnibus editions should include a CD-Rom searchable, cut and paste ready, edition. I think some of the new breed of Sci-Fi authors do this.

Comment

Doesn't Amazon have something set up now where you can search the text of books - it displays a relevant page - although I think it's aimed at non-fiction mainly.

Comment

Originally posted by krunky
                      The download served as impetus to buy the original arifact.
                      This is, whether the RIAA wants to admit it or not, a very valid argument. I have purchased a lot of music I originally downloaded simply because I wanted the actual CD, not some lousy rip.

In one case, I wanted a Cheap Trick song that was out of print. It was their cover of the Steinberg/Kelly song "Kiss Me Red." It had appeared on their LP "The Doctor" which bombed big time. I couldn't find the CD anywhere. I downloaded the song and hearing it again after so long (it had been 15 years or so) I was suddenly motivated to keep looking and I eventually found a copy of the CD. I bought it immediately. For one lousy song.

Yup, the download served as impetus to buy the original arifact. No doubt about it.

Oh, and Kraftwerk is the bomb, Krunky! They are -- and I can back this up -- the world's FIRST techno band. They came out way before even Devo! :D Gotta go listen to Autobahn now!

Comment

Originally posted by Jules
                        Doesn't Amazon have something set up now where you can search the text of books - it displays a relevant page - although I think it's aimed at non-fiction mainly.
                        Yeah, I just tried it. They will let you search certain books and then you can click on the quote/page you want to view. BUT... in order to view the page, you have to give them your credit card info. They say there is no charge for the service, they just want to collect your CC info. Lame.

Comment

Psychic - I'd agree - I reckon I've bough 70-100 CDs in the last 12 months after downloading tracks - a lot of those are things I used to have on tape in my teens, but also encouraged me to be exploratory - picked up on Japanese, German and Italian stuff that is hard to find out about here, and imported CDs directly. Which means some stuff I've now bought on vinyl, tape, CD AND downloaded for free.

The way I look at it is when I was a kid I copied as many computer games as I could, taped as much music as I could, borrowed from the library (records and books). Now - I never pirate games, I buy all my books (although I'm a library member), and I spend more money on music than I realistically have time to listen to it. The point is that as a teenager I didn't HAVE the money to buy the stuff, so you could hardly call it lost sales. What I think is morally wrong is if you just do it to avoid paying when you can.

I've yet to meet a musician who doesn't have tapes of other people's music . . .

Comment

"I think it's okay for me to have a searchable digital copy at this point, but I am willing to entertain arguments to the contrary. "

Well, I agree with you. Arguably, you could build a searchable digital copy from your legitimately purchased copies, so where is the damage if you download a digital copy when you already have one or more "legitimate" copies. Unless Michael was selling a digital, searchable copy himself, which I don't think is available. I have downloaded music that I already owned, just not digitally. In most cases, the holder of a copyrighted work can make copies for their own uses.

The idea of "format" is one that companies, particularly record companies, have quietly exploited for quite some time now. I don't feel sorry for the record companies - or, frankly, the artists - when I have purchase an LP and a cassette of a work and then, by virtue of technology shift, have ot go buy a compact disc (unless there is legitimate additional/extra material). Now in the digital age, if I want something on my mp3 player, I have to go buy it again??

Hey, maybe that will be how it has to work, but to feign ignorance as to why record sales are dropping, like many record companies have, is a little disingenuous.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill
                              Hey, maybe that will be how it has to work, but to feign ignorance as to why record sales are dropping, like many record companies have, is a little disingenuous.
                              I don't mean to change the direction of this thread. I think the whole copyright issue is very important, but Bill hit one of my buttons. I'm tired of the music industry (not necessarily artists) complaining about falling sales, and blaming it all on downloading. In the days of cassettes you could record at will, and sales didn't slump.

The industry should stop and consider that declining sales could be attributed to the crap they're selling, and the way they sell their souls to promote it almost exclusively on Clear Channel stations, which have playlists that are only about 25 songs deep. And what ever happened to labels developing artists? Artists are losing record deals after moving 400,000 units because they supposedly aren't profitable. I'm not a business person, and I know label politics are tricky (one Britney Spears supports 10 low selling "artistic" bands), but I'm pretty sure that I could find a way to make a profit off of 400,000 cds.

Format isn't the enemy of the music industry. The industry might have to look in the mirror.

Oops. That was suspiciously like another rant.

Comment

Working...
                              X