Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Lookie what I found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lookie what I found

I dont believe it. I just found a 1977 Blue Star Press First Edition of Elric of Melnibone in unread condition. ooOOOoo Its like $140 before shipping. Thats about what I paid for my original copy in the late 80s. Can anyone tell me if this is a fair price or not?

Any comments would be appreciated!!!
    Ultra Magnus to Sandstorm. \"I\'ve never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. . . Alright, give me the bomb.\"

In their February list the mighty, mighty Jayde Design had a "Blue Star, 1977 slip-cased h/c" copy of Elric, and they were only charging 50 pounds (about 92 dollars)... of course, that doesn't include shipping, and I don't know if they still have it or not, but you did ask!

D...
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Unless it's a signed and limited copy of that edition, $140 is way out of whack, and even then it would be a bit on the pricey side.

I think they sold new for about $25, and from time to time you can see them for that price.

Comment

I just bought a 1st ed., 1965, Herbert Jenkins publisher, signed, Stormbringer for $103.00 shipped, from Jayde Design.
        w00t!

Jayde is the best.

Ok Bragging over.
        When they had advanced together to meet on common
        ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
        and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
        each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
        mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
        killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Doc is right - they issued for around $20-30. For a long time I was seeing them around Berkeley, Ca for near that price still - and what I mean by that is maybe 2-3 years ago.

Jeez, for $140 I might part with the portfolio of the plates. But I rarely resell anything myself - I buy to keep.

Honestly, it's not on par with Gould's later work - it's far rougher. A couple of plates are really good though.

Comment

I've never seen the point of shelling out huge ammounts of cash for first edition books which you'll probably never touch in fear of damaging the book and the resale value.

Maybe I'm just weird.

Comment

I never buy anything I won't actually *USE*. I open it up, I play with it, I take it out of its wraps, out of the box, out of it's bubble plastic wrapping, I put my fingers on it.

I am careful with things to a degree. But I agree that if you can't take pleasure in a thing beyond mere ownership, what's the freaking point?

I have the Blue Star edition, I have read it at least once. My real problem there is the redundant ownership of the portfolio also - I think it duplicates every plate but one (a color frontispiece).

I have the problem of having to rotate my print collection, otherwise everthing lays in tubes or in a flat folder for years without seeing light.

My prize is probably an artist's proof of Jack Kirby's "Jacob Wrestling the Angel." I probably have more valuable prints though - I just like that one a lot. It looks like this basically:

http://www.bookpalace.com/acatalog/KirbyJacob.jpg

{the above image tags won't work I bet...}

Comment

Thanks for the comments! I think I will pass on that one then.
                Ultra Magnus to Sandstorm. \"I\'ve never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. . . Alright, give me the bomb.\"

Comment

I own two of them. both unsigned.
                  but together cost less than the price you mentioned.

at least 50, 60 or more bucks left over.
                  \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
                  Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Originally posted by manmiles
                    I've never seen the point of shelling out huge ammounts of cash for first edition books which you'll probably never touch in fear of damaging the book and the resale value.

Maybe I'm just weird.

I read my 1st editions often. They are on bookshelves and not sealed in plastic or anything like that. So I definitely use mine, don't know about anyone else though.
                    When they had advanced together to meet on common
                    ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
                    and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
                    each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
                    mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
                    killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

I never read my first one. I wanted to wait till I had them all then read them. Of course I had no idea that not all the books were put out in this printing at the time soo.... ^_^

I have every intention of reading my second one though. Im just still sick that I somehow lost my first one *sigh* But I remember how much I liked that book and Im thinking I /might/ have grabbed it in my haste to move.....but I dont recall seeing it since then . . .

Oh well, another copy popped up thats as underpriced as the other one is over priced so perhaps I will go for that one ^_^ Then I have to find the one for Sailer on the Seas of Fate by the other company? I need to go back over that other thread that mentions them and get the info ^_^

Comment

I'm one of the bad ones. I collect as much as I read.

I will read most of my collection, but I read it way too carefully. I catch myself being careful to not open the book too wide, so as not to loosen the binding, and I carefully take off dustjackets and put them away where they are in no danger of being slightly creased. Moving was horrible. I was sick thinking about my books getting damaged by movers. I know, I even make myself mad.

However, there are some of my books that are quite valuable that I treat like they are second-hand paperbacks. For instance, I (like Von) have a signed copy of Herbert Jenkins' Stormbringer that I'll pull off the shelf and read it like I'm 9 years old. There's something oddly comforting about having a relationship (hopefully that doesn't sound too odd) with some of your books.

Yes, I am nuts. :D

Comment

I had all the Elric comics and I was so insane reading them... I would wash my hands real good, hold the binding and refuse to open the pages all the way. They stayed in acid backings and bags in a box in the darkest part of my closet...When I moved I had to leave them behind *sobs*....and I remember when I did... I had no room..they had to stay... I remember thinking 'oh I can replace them'

HAH....:( yea Ive replaced about 2/3 of them but most are in no wheres near the condition MY set was in....yea they are VG++ and better but none are as pristine as my set was

I remember I even had the printings of the issues in book #1 where they got the pages backwards on the press. I havent looked yet to see if the Pacific replacements I got a few months ago are from that mixed up printing run or now.

I do hope I can eventually get the same quality as the ones I had for so long...*sigh* and to think that the ones I left were thrown away.....

Someday I will have to tell just what happened to so much of my stuff in a move from hell....Ive only moved like twice as an adult and this was by far probably everyones worse nightmare....

Comment

Hey Starscream-
                            I just re-read your earlier post. The only other limited edition that matches the Blue Star Elric isn't the Sailor on the Seas of Fate- it's The Vanishing Tower, and was put out by Archival Press. I think you can still find these new for around $30.

I think all of us have those things that somehow got lost, left behind, or stolen that we wish we still had. I have a few books like that. No matter how great the copies are that I find to replace them, they will never be as good as the ones I lost. I guess it's not just the things that I like, but also the memories.

Comment

There is a hardcover of Sailor by Quartet.
                              It is a small book-- about "book club size."
                              the back of the dust cover is an old, close up
                              photo of Mike. He looks like Blackbeard the Pirate!
                              \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
                              Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Working...
                              X