Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

LSD Dossier (Online)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSD Dossier (Online)

NOBODY should pay more than a quid or two for LSD Dossier. It's crap. And technically it's not mine to reprint. Can't see Compact, who don't exist any more, doing it, either. Certainly, I can't see any reason not to put it online, though. Don't think anyone would object.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

My copy of The LSD Dossier (bought on eBay for just slightly more than Mike's recommended price ) arrived today. I've transcribed the first two chapters tonight, and assuming no-one (i.e. Mike) minds, I'll make them available as a PDF file - if people want to read them.

I can probably manage a couple of chapters every few days if that's okay. (I've also got to finish prep'ing a new rpg game for later this month, so I need to fit it around all that.) At worst, I should be able to upload something once a week.

Anyway, enjoy.
    26/04/07 : Please note a revised version of Chapters 1-2 with minor corrections has been uploaded in place of the original PDF.

Admin note: If you would prefer this as one file instead of seperate chapters, please see here.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by David Mosley; 02-22-2009, 02:43 PM.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Way to go,David!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Well, it took me longer than I expected but here's Chapter 3 of The LSD Dossier in PDF format (in which we meet our hero and he meets the girl only to lose her).

Seeing as how this chapter was almost as long as the first two combined, it seems more realistic to say that I can probably transcribe one chapter a week. At least until I get a 'cease and desist' notice from either Mike, Compact or their representatives.

(With all these PDFs, I'm trying to create a 'facsimile' of the text which is as close as possible to how it appeared in the original 1966 paperback, bearing in mind it won't be 100% accurate. It's still pretty close however, say, 95%?)

26/04/07 : Please note a revised version of Chapter 3 with minor corrections has been uploaded in place of the original PDF. (This includes a line that was accidentally omitted on page 7.)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by David Mosley; 04-26-2007, 04:50 PM.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Fair play Dave, you're a star. Seems like a hell of a lot of work though. Isn't there some programe that allows you to transfer scanned text into a Word doc? Or so I've been told, but then I don't even own a scanner so what do I know?...
          forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
          2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
          3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

LSD dossier

Had a quick look at this, David but as it's now 2 in the morning and I'm tired I'll check it out again tomorrow. Thanks!

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

yeah its called OCR means onscreen character recognition or somesuch thing but scaning can take forever and unless ya shell out the bucks for a high end program you will most likely spend just as much time makeing corrections

Comment

Optical character recognition, iirc. It can be a bit hit or miss, depending on the program you use and the legibility of the source text.

Adobe Acrobat has a pretty good ocr function. You can scan pages and make them into image pdfs. Acrobat then converts those images into ocr'ed text. Of course, you'd still need to format the text and do a little cleanup afterwards, but it might be worth considering as a time-saving option.

Either way, thanks very much for going to this effort, David. Looking forward to adding it to my reading pile when it's finished ...
                The name that can be named is not the true name.

Comment

Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post
                  Isn't there some programe that allows you to transfer scanned text into a Word doc?
                  ** Techie head on **

This is indeed true. Most of the modern printer-scanner combis have OCR software and are very fast and accurate but the best format is still PDF for the recovered text.

I recently built an electronic portfolio of my work to take to publishers and prospective employers and was suprised at the results. Word documents are huge compared to PDF - some of my treatments were twenty times bigger. Not so bad if you have broadband but a pain for dial-up or trying to squeeze stuff onto a CD.

I also had reason to send a piece to a person of restricted vision recently. Acrobat has a text to voice function which they use to access works. The version on my implementation of Acrobat is a bit flat and robotic but it does help widen the potential audience.
                  What part of 'Get out of town, Freak' don't you understand?

Comment

Well, the main reason why I'm not OCR-ing the novel is it would mean 'breaking' the book to get it on the scanner. Being 41 years old it's somewhat fragile already, so I'm not in any rush to damage it any further.

That said, if anyone wants to lend me a spare copy to use...

It is, of course, my pleasure to do this for everyone here.

(3 chapters down, 15 to go.)
                    Last edited by David Mosley; 03-20-2007, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Actually, David, unless I gave it to someone, I used to have a battered copy of LSD Dossier. Next time I'm out at the Shed of Shame I'll have a look to see if I still have it. Jog my memory if I haven't responded in a week or so!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

David, do you have someone dictate to you as you type, or do you use some other method - one hand holding open the book while you key with the other hand...?
                        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Shed of shame

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
                          Actually, David, unless I gave it to someone, I used to have a battered copy of LSD Dossier. Next time I'm out at the Shed of Shame I'll have a look to see if I still have it. Jog my memory if I haven't responded in a week or so!
                          Hi Mike, can you please enlighten me? Shed of Shame? Sounds like a good title for a novel, or story of my life!! Karen says she is going to have one built in our garden so she can put me in there next time I have a drink or two too many, despite me assuring her that you never use your shed for that! As long as I have a Moorcock book to wake up to, I won't really mind ( Hic! )

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

Mark, are you saying LSDD is a one-handed read?

Alright then - just don't blame me if this is too much information.

I lay the book face down on the desk next to the scanner, and wedge the pages open with a thick Swiss Army Knife, together with a thick book on top of said scanner to support the (heavier) upper pages, thus easing the stresses on the spine. The book is angled so I can read the text and type with both hands. That deals with the 'even' pages. For the 'odd' pages, I turn the book over (face up) and just use the SAK to prop the pages up (as there are fewer pages there's less weight to support).

What happens when I get to the middle is something I'll deal with when I get there.

Well, you did ask.

Oh, you'd better have Chapter 4 to make up for it - in which our hero is given his marching orders.

26/04/07 : Please note a revised version of Chapter 4 with minor corrections has been uploaded in place of the original PDF.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by David Mosley; 04-26-2007, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Many thanks David, it is truly a great service you are performing for us all.
                              My signature is

Comment

Working...
                              X