Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Mr M's Female Characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Her Sphinxness
    replied
    Una Persson, no question.

Leave a comment:

• Brewster
    replied
    Can I say a word for Miss Brunner? I feel sympathy for her; she is MM's most thwarted idealist.

Then:

Sweet Orb Mace (counts as a female?)

Countess Una of Scaith

and, as others have said,

Amelia Underwood.

Leave a comment:

• neil3309
    replied
    Una Persson for Queen of the universe(s)

Una just has that certain something, she always seemed so 'grown up' and in control. I'm quite fond of Catherine Cornelius as well, she has to go through some tough times and let me not forget Glorianna and one of Mr M's largest female characters, Mother London herself.

Leave a comment:

• WhiteWolf359
    replied
    I've always had a thing for Una, especially after we fought those interdimensional pirates from the Franco-Belgian Hegemony (oops, I wasn't supposed to tell the humans about that...forget I said that, pards!)

Leave a comment:

• WhiteWolfChaos1977
    replied
    Oon, the Dreamthief and her daughter Oona, the White Buffalo.

Leave a comment:

• aeymxq
    replied
    so i recently boight all the new editions of elric and reread em all; his early writing is so painful man, especially the women. honestly it isn't until myshella that there is a single compelling or not half-drawn female character.

Leave a comment:

• Magnum Opus
    replied
    Unagh von Bek (not sure of spelling) the little girl from White Wolf's son is a fantastic character and really makes the book!

Una Person in all her guises - strong female character with strong independance

Mrs. Amelia Underwood an Iron Orchid are great opposing characters in Dancers at the end of time.

I think over the years MM's female characters do get a lot more refined.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin McCabe
    replied
    Una/Oona/Oone & Catherine/Cymoril . A lot of male authors draft men in skirts as female characters. Not Mike!

Leave a comment:

• aeymxq
    replied
    voting for una persson of course, because she is super hot and a complete badass to rival any of the eternal champion's incarnations.

amelia underwood imo is the most genuinely interesting female i've read in his books so far. all of the women based around the heroes are utterly 1d, half-assed, barely-developed, etc; amelia underwood to my mind is the most developed female in the multiverse.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    I re-read tAofCC&UPinthe20thC and enjoyed it much better the second time around. I agree with the comments that the early EC females are much more archetypes as the hero is very much self centred.

Let us not forget, Terhali - the Emerald Emperoress!

Leave a comment:

• Max von Bek
    replied
    Hmm, Una for me, I think, along with Rhalina - shes the only one who could get Corum to stop floating about!

Leave a comment:

• Papi
    replied
    I discovered Michael Moorcock's works with the rôleplaying-game "Stormbringer".
    I fell in love of Myshella.
    And, I continue...

Sorry for my english and french's governement.

Leave a comment:

• Una Persson
    replied
    Originally posted by Marie-Bernadette View Post
    I think a "heart-shaped" face usually means one that has a broad forehead (sometimes with widow's peak hairline), broad and prominent cheekbones, and a narrow, somewhat pointed chin.
    Anna Karina

Leave a comment:

• Una Persson
    replied
    Una P/Oone (of course)
    Amelia Underwood
    Oona (The dreamthiefs daughter)
    Gloriana
    Catherine C/Cymoril
    Mrs C
    The Rose
    The Iron Orchid
    The Everlasting Concubine

Mike's women are so strong - history changing - pivotal (more so than his men in many of the later novels - Oone is the real lead character in Fortress of the Pearl for example)
    Last edited by Una Persson; 09-05-2010, 03:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The English Assassin
    replied
    I'd say that most of the female characters in Mike's mid-to-late books are stronger than those earlier EC characters who seem more archetypal. I guess there's a strong theme of epic fatalism to many the EC books books, whereas the characters from Mike's later work seems to exhibit more free will (or the illusion of free will), therefore I'd have to go with Una, Catherine and Mrs C, the female lead in Mother London (no good with names, sorry) and while Pyat's perception of the original Esmé might not be particularly empowering, I think its fair to call Pyat an unreliable narrator. Pyat's mum also must deserve our sympathy, if nothing else. I'm also fond of Amelia Underwood and Sweet Orb Mace for very different reasons.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X