Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Mr M's Female Characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr M's Female Characters

I was going to title this post Mr M's Women, but that didn't sound right somehow.

I've been reading MM for about 20 years. I have grown and changed considerably in that time, of course and I've found that I relate to different characters now that I'm older. When I was a teenager I identified with Shaarilla of the Dancing Mist: she has red hair, I have red hair; she has an obsession for Elric; I have an obsession for Elric; she is a Wingless Woman, and by some amazing coincidence, I too, am a wingless woman.

As a teenager, I was a complete Romantic fool, and I still am now, but I've also learned to see things from other perspectives. As I get older and gain more confidence, I like to seek out confident and inspiring heroines. I really like the Rose and Oona in particular.

After reading many titles of both Mr M's earlier and more recent works, I've observed that his female characters have become much more dimensional and gained depth. Of course, some characters were always meant to be shallow, like Cymoril, and some were always meant to be deep, like Libussa in City in the Autumn Stars. But, generally speaking, I think the female characters of Mr M's more recent works have more substance and are more developed as characters than those of his earlier stories.

Which MM heroines have inspired you?
    WWED -- What Would Elric Do?

Re: Mr M's Female Characters

My choice

1a) Oona
    1b) Gloriana
    3) Una Persson and Mrs Cornelius (the one Pyat deals with)
    5) Mrs. Underwood
    as well as this Countess in "Gloriana" who steered clear of all the messy court affairs and held hands with the Japanese envoy, forgot her name, but must have been a version of Una...

Originally posted by Marie-Bernadette
    I was going to title this post Mr M's Women, but that didn't sound right somehow.
    I'm sure your titling-decision will be appreciated
    Google ergo sum

Comment

I too am an utter romantic fool when the mood suits me (Boy, do I ever love being fifteen... :roll: ) but for some reason I never paid Shaarilla much attention. Must be a redhead thing. She was always so whiny in a conventional heroine-like way.

Oone the dreamtheif is probably my favourite, (Is she the only person that has ever told Elric explicitly to leave the howly sword behind when embarking on an adventure?) then my second favourite is Xiombarg. Yeah, I know she can be male or female, but the Queen of Chaos rocks. :D

Comment

Re: Mr M's Female Characters

Originally posted by LEtranger
        1a) Oona
        I had a feeling.
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Good topic. I was considering this for the monthly poll, but my list was getting too long. This thread allows for more comments anyways. Here's what I've come up with so far:

The Rose
          Colinda Dovero
          Pearl Peru
          Captain Billy-Bob Begg
          Gloriana
          Cymoril
          Zarozinia
          Yisellda
          Shizala
          Una Persson
          Catherine Cornelius
          Miss Mavis Ming
          The Iron Orchid
          The Everlasting Concubine
          My Lady Charlotina
          Oone the Dreamthief
          Oona the Dreamthief's Daughter
          Rhalina

keep it going......... 8)
          \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

Comment

Charion Phatt, and let's not forget Mother Phatt (even if she forgets herself from time to time.)

Comment

For what my two cents are worth-

I've always been a little in love with Una P. , but she may have been displaced by Rosie Beck after I read King of the City.

Great topic Maire-Bernadette!

Comment

Even from the early days I liked Zarozinia from her first appearance in the Forest of Troos, perhaps partly influenced by the Hawkwind song from Chronicle of the Black Sword. Particularly touching for me is the part where she gives up her life to Stormbringer so that some of her essence might merge with her beloved Elric.

Next is Amelia Underwood. I particularly like the part where she at last lets her hair down and starts creating stuff with the rings of power, and earlier in the tale where she's just trying to adjust to the bizarre world of the Dancers and Jerek creates an en-suite bathroom for her and promptly oversteps the bounds of respect to be admonished by a shocked Mrs Underwood - 'Mr Carnelian! Have you no tact?' :o

I've always admired Una Persson too, cool, collected, practical and resourceful.

Great topic Marie. I can't think of any other single author who has included so many varied and notable female characters in his work.

Comment

Glad you all like the topic. Yeah, Una Perrson is pretty cool. I love the name!

I also liked Ermizhad a lot, and the Eldren Ghost Women in The Dragon in the Sword-- especially Alisaard.

Comment

We forgot to add that Mike's real-life leading lady is at least as impressive as his fictional ones. :oops:

Comment

Oone is awesome Oona shaarilla myshala rhalina yysiiellda is fab and zarazinia is cool, and illian is cool. 8) All good ladies cool. Mebbth is not a good lady .

Comment

Although I personally identify with Mrs. Underwood (for reasons of primness and a tendency to be shocked on a regular basis), I would probably have to give my vote (and anything else she may require) to Una Persson... apart from all of her many other fine and admirable qualities, she always reads as a very snappy dresser. You have to admire that. I think, if I were a woman, then Amelia is who I would be, but Una is who I would rather be... although both have their strengths and weaknesses.

On a vaguely related note both women are described (In 'Nomads of the Time Stream' at least) as having "heart-shaped" faces. When I came to try to attempt to pretend to be able to draw them for my avatar pack I realised I had absolutely no idea what that meant. Does anyone have an explanation, or a real life example? I would put this in the Q&A section, but I'd hate to think of keeping Mr M from something important with such an obscure enquiry!

D...
                        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I think a "heart-shaped" face usually means one that has a broad forehead (sometimes with widow's peak hairline), broad and prominent cheekbones, and a narrow, somewhat pointed chin.

Doc said:
                          We forgot to add that Mike's real-life leading lady is at least as impressive as his fictional ones.
                          You're right! I wonder if Linda has inspired some of MM's heroines?

Comment

Lilli Von Bern (super-spy, femme fatale)
                            \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by Marie-Bernadette
                              You're right! I wonder if Linda has inspired some of MM's heroines?
                              I asked Mike about his strong female characters at a reading a few months ago. He said that he has many strong women in his family who were very influential on the early part of his life, and parts of them may show up in his femaile characters. Linda was there, and told me that many people think she is the inspiration for Rosie Beck, but Mike denies it (at least to her).

In remembering that, I'm a little embarrassed about my earlier post that mentions Rosie.
                              :oops:

Comment

Working...
                              X