Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Erekose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erekose?

Am I missing something here? I always thought Erekose was black, or at least very dark-skinned? I reread The Eternal Champion a couple of years back, and came away with that distinct impression, although from a quick flick through the book again, I can't find anything to back up that impression.

After all, why not? But am I mistaken - has anybody else come away from reading the book thinking the same?

Happy New Year!

UD
    Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

I remember him being described as black in the Elric Saga.

Comment

Hmm... I seem to remember him being described as 'jet-black' too. I also think I remember that the Erekosë that Elric met isn't necessarily the Erekosë that we read about in 'The Eternal Champion' etc.

Could be wrong though.
      Last edited by Governor of Rowe Island; 01-03-2007, 10:33 AM.
      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Yes, I believe that Erekosë is described as being black skinned in The Eternal Champion.

(Or maybe, should it be that John Daker is dark skinned?)

I don't remember about the other books, though I recently finished rereading The Dragon in the Sword, and I pictured Prince Flamidin as being light skinned.

The Champion's appearence changes with each Incarnation. Elric is an albino, Hawkmoon isn't.

Erekosë#26,992: ''Hey, no fair! Erekosë #26,993 is taller that me!!''
        Last edited by DeepFixer; 12-31-2006, 01:53 PM.
        Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Well considering who John Daker actually is, then we know that he at least doesn't start off being black! (and it also explains a little better his attraction to the Eldren!).

There is one thing that I never did understand about the Erekose books - when he arrives on the Eldren/Human world, there has already been an Erekose in the past, who Daker hasn't been (he seems to be the reincarnation of the warrior). Is it likely that this is similar to there having been another Corum in the time that Corum was travelling to the time of the Fhor-moryi(sp)?

To cap that off, when he appears in White Wolf's Son, Erekose is definitely described as being black, although whether that is black as someone from Africa, or black like Sepiriz is never made clear.
          Amid Chaos, Order arises; but even in Order there is Chaos.

Understands now that Corum did have a happy ending after all!

Comment

Originally posted by Max von Bek
            There is one thing that I never did understand about the Erekose books - when he arrives on the Eldren/Human world, there has already been an Erekose in the past, who Daker hasn't been (he seems to be the reincarnation of the warrior). Is it likely that this is similar to there having been another Corum in the time that Corum was travelling to the time of the Fhor-moryi(sp)?
            Or like when Jerry Cornelius is a 'negative' image of himself: black skin and white hair.

Or, like in Dragon, there is/was a Flamadin before Erekosë shows up.

That's the fun part of the whole dang Multiverse, innit? Infinite versions of Reality with infinite version of people.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepFixer
              That's the fun part of the whole dang Multiverse, innit? Infinite versions of Reality with infinite version of people.
              Yeah, but it does your head in, too, doesn't it?
              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Not as bad as some hangovers I've had.

And certainly not as confusing as the Cornelius books

Comment

He's not black in 'The Swords of Heaven...', but then he's not Erekosë either.

Originally posted by DeepFixer
                  Not as bad as some hangovers I've had.
                  And certainly not as confusing as the Cornelius books
                  I know what you mean - on both counts!

Comment

I think his coloring is like Sepiriz.
                    "It is a matter of perspective, Corum. We follow our whims..." -Arioch

Comment

Perhaps someone can post, like, an actual quote?

Certainly, while I also have an impression that Erekose is dark-skinned, the original novella of TEC (and presumably the novel as well) is told in the 1st-person, and having recently read the novella I don't recall any mention of it there.
                      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                        Perhaps someone can post, like, an actual quote?
                        King of the Swords, chapter 8, 'Into the small storm', page 102 of the Mayflower p/back edition:
                        "The black giant growled: 'I'll aid you willingly.'
                        Corum bowed his head in thanks. 'And what shall we call you - you who are ourselves?'
                        'Call me Erekose - though another name suggests itself to me - for it was as Erekose that I came closest to knowing forgetfulness and the fullfilment of love.'
                        VG should know that one!
                        However, in 'Sailor on the Seas of Fate', Erekose is only described as 'the man in the shadows', while Otto Blendker is actually referred to as 'a black skinned warrior'. At no time during the introductions to the other ECs is Erekose described as a black man.
                        Perhaps the EC incarnation calling himself Erekose, in the Vanishing Tower episode, was actually Otto Blendker?
                        Howzat?
                        He's well smoked

Comment

My....brain.....hurts.....

Thanks for confirming that my middle-aged brain is perfectly capable of conjuring up the correct information about a story I read 30years ago, but I couldn't tell you what my wife and I talked about 2 minutes ago.

Now, that Ulrik von Bek, he was Venezuelan, right?

No?

Good.

Cheers

Great UD
                          Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Y'know, the EC travels so much through the timestreams & moonbeams it would be hard for any sane entity to remember who they were for long.
                            Is Erekose really Daker? Is Von Minct really Gaynor?
                            Is Illian really Dorian? Who knows?
                            But I always thought the Eternal Champion book's Erekose was white, and marveled how he could be black on the ship that sails between the realms (I was a youngin' when I read it the first time ).
                            ....I always liked Urlik.
                            "It is a matter of perspective, Corum. We follow our whims..." -Arioch

Comment

My guess is that Erekose represents the Eternal Champion in all his forms, so basically any old Eternal Champion would do for Erekose. Off course, I've never read any of the Erekose, but this is my idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X