Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are Demons exactly!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mythanian
    replied
    Personally, I'd describe a demon as anything you summon out of some sucky universe.
    Hey, we live in a sucky universe. Shit, I'm a demon.

Leave a comment:

• Mespheber
    replied
    Yep, I remember that many humans considered melniboneans themselves as demons because of their magic and dragons riding. It is also a common human attitude to deny humanity to those who are hated. As well, in Corum, the Vadhrags (Corum's alike people) are named "shefanow" by the Mabden, which seems to have an evil meaning...

Reminds me an Elvis's song:

You look like an angel
    Walk like an angel
    Talk like an angel
    But I got wise
    You're the devil in disguise
    Oh yes you are
    The devil in disguise

You fooled me with your kisses
    You cheated and you schemed
    Heaven knows how you lied to me
    You're not the way you seemed

You look like an angel
    Walk like an angel
    Talk like an angel
    But I got wise

Oh yes you are
    The devil in disguise

I thought that I was in heaven
    But I was sure surprised
    Heaven help me, I didn't see
    The devil in your eyes

You look like an angel
    Walk like an angel
    Talk like an angel

But I got wise
    Oh yes you are
    The devil in disguise

Oh yes you are
    The devil in disguise
    Oh yes you are
    The devil in disguise

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied
    Demons are merely denizens of other realms/planes/spheres.

In the Corum saga, a Nhadragh summons a "demon" at the behest of Glandyth-a-Krae.
    This demon is none other than Prince Yyrkoon of Melnibone.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Hieronymus
    replied
    Yes, Arioch is a demon but only in demonology, in the Bible Arioch is ( if I remember right ) a king's name.

Leave a comment:

• redbeard
    replied
    Here be DEMONS.

Leave a comment:

• johneffay
    replied
    Originally posted by Mespheber
    Elassar sounds like Elessar... Arioch = Aragorn?
    Ellasar was a city state(?) in Assyria. I omitted the words 'king of' between Arioch and Ellasar. I have amended it now.
    Last edited by johneffay; 10-11-2006, 11:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mespheber
    replied
    Elassar sounds like Elessar... Arioch = Aragorn?

Leave a comment:

• johneffay
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Vince
    There was an Arioch in Paradise Lost. I don't recall any demons named Arioch in the Bible though
    He only has a walk-on part and he isn't a demon:
    And it came to pass in the days of Amraphal king of Shinar, Arioch king of Ellasar, Cherdorlaomer king of Elam, and Tidal king of nations (Genesis, chapter 14, verse 1).
    Last edited by johneffay; 10-11-2006, 11:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Vince
    replied
    Originally posted by Hieronymus
    However, if you check out in some "Grimoire" you can find Arioch as a demon's name as other "fallen" angels.
    If I remember he is the "demon of revenge"
    Arioch is a jewish name who exists in the Bible, if I remember right
    There was an Arioch in Paradise Lost. I don't recall any demons named Arioch in the Bible though, nor in any grimoires.

Leave a comment:

• Hieronymus
    replied
    However, if you check out in some "Grimoire" you can find Arioch as a demon's name as other "fallen" angels.
    If I remember he is the "demon of revenge"
    Arioch is a jewish name who exists in the Bible, if I remember right

Leave a comment:

• Mespheber
    replied
    ARIOOOOCH!!! Blood and souls for Arioch!!!

Damn, that was a long time I hadn't...

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Mage Of Melnibone
    replied
    Originally posted by Mespheber
    First, you have to consider the notion of Multiverse: our univers is not three or four dimensions but is composed by "a thousand of spheres" which are the different planes crossing each others to compose our reality. However, on each plan or on another plans conjunction, live other creatures. They are gods, spirits, demons... These plans are generated by the harmony of two values: Law and Chaos.

In Erlic's saga, demons are creatures from the Chaos, they are not good or evil but chaotic. Chaos is the energy of creation, symbolized by the eight arrows star, the Chaostar (which is also the name of a brilliant greek band), that is creation with no direction, complete disorder which leads it to entropy. Order is given by the Law, however, Law is not good without Chaos: a law with nothing to rule is meaningless...

Most of all, you have to consider that thes creatures are fictionnal. As a believer, I have no ethic problem to play Stormbringer or In Nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas. Does an actor will feel bad to play the devil in Faust from Goethe? As well, Pasolini was a communist and made the most beautiful adaptation of Matthew's Gospel...

Faith is a thing, arts and games are others...

I agree with you comrade, you have explained well... Besides, these demons that our friend speaks of, are not exactly from the christian Hell anyway...

Leave a comment:

• Mespheber
    replied
    First, you have to consider the notion of Multiverse: our univers is not three or four dimensions but is composed by "a thousand of spheres" which are the different planes crossing each others to compose our reality. However, on each plan or on another plans conjunction, live other creatures. They are gods, spirits, demons... These plans are generated by the harmony of two values: Law and Chaos.

In Erlic's saga, demons are creatures from the Chaos, they are not good or evil but chaotic. Chaos is the energy of creation, symbolized by the eight arrows star, the Chaostar (which is also the name of a brilliant greek band), that is creation with no direction, complete disorder which leads it to entropy. Order is given by the Law, however, Law is not good without Chaos: a law with nothing to rule is meaningless...

Most of all, you have to consider that thes creatures are fictionnal. As a believer, I have no ethic problem to play Stormbringer or In Nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas. Does an actor will feel bad to play the devil in Faust from Goethe? As well, Pasolini was a communist and made the most beautiful adaptation of Matthew's Gospel...

Faith is a thing, arts and games are others...

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Mage Of Melnibone
    replied
    Originally posted by Mad_Irishman
    Hello all. I love the Elric and Stormbringer role-playing games. The only thing I am confused about or curious about are the demons in the games and books. What are they exactly? Do they come from Hell or some other foul place? Or are they more from another plane, or aliens? Any input on this would be helpful. I would not say I am an overly religious person, but the thought or idea of the demons being from Hell kind of bothers me, making the game very dark, but I realize it is a dark setting. But the other side of me in intrigued about it and the mechanics behind summoning and what not. Anyway any input would be great, especially from you Mr. Moorcock. Thanks again.

-Ian

Greetings friend, and welcome! I know nearly just about everything demonic... Demons are my specialty when it comes to information... Now, let me say this, not all demon are from "Hell"... The ones in the books and games are not exactly from the Christian version of "Hell"... They are more like from other planes that are similar to Hell, or from the Underworld which is not exactly hell to begin with... Yes, they do come from a darker plane, but don't all demons? Yes, indeed... I hope that helped you some... I hope I have aided thee well...

Your comrade, The Dark Mage Of Melnibone

Leave a comment:

• Mad_Irishman
    started a topic What are Demons exactly!

What are Demons exactly!

Hello all. I love the Elric and Stormbringer role-playing games. The only thing I am confused about or curious about are the demons in the games and books. What are they exactly? Do they come from Hell or some other foul place? Or are they more from another plane, or aliens? Any input on this would be helpful. I would not say I am an overly religious person, but the thought or idea of the demons being from Hell kind of bothers me, making the game very dark, but I realize it is a dark setting. But the other side of me in intrigued about it and the mechanics behind summoning and what not. Anyway any input would be great, especially from you Mr. Moorcock. Thanks again.

-Ian
Working...
X