Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Selected Mike Moorcock quotes concerning his books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments on the theory for a real multiverse:

Michael Moorcock wrote :

To be honest, while I'm interested in theories of the multiverse of course, I've rather deliberately avoided reading about other theories so that I don't get confused when developing my own which, of course, is a literary construct, not a scientific one -- and only incidentally a philosophical one.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Thanks Lemec for bringing these quotes together.
      It is good to be able to understand what Mike thinks and I must say I sympathise with and agree with his views.

Comment

(What drives Mike in his creative process?)

Michael Moorcock wrote:

My professional background involved trying to get as much over in as few words as possible, so that's why I wrote as laconically as possible. I've never had much taste for jigsaws, crosswords and so on, and that also goes for complicated detective stories. However, many do and people who like to enter and maybe help create existing worlds are probably more numerous than those who don't... My idea is to help the imaginative reader do at least some of the work themselves. It seems to me that that's how I approached books like the E.Nesbit stories and so on when I was a kid. I've always loved Ballard's reviews, for instance. He always seems to bring his own imagination to bear on the book he's reading. Often makes the book seem a lot better, too.
        Character creation?

Michael Moorcock wrote:

The characters are usually 'there' in my head. All I do is describe them. Sometimes a major character, like Colonel Pyat, will develop from a minor one. But I don't make notes about them, as such. I suppose I have them fully imagined and so they'll talk and act as the individuals which present themselves to me. As I've said elsewhere, one of the reasons I don't need notes for the EC series is that the stories are essentially character based and all I do is remember the characters and the rest comes naturally. Lucky me, eh ?11-14-2005, 11:35 PM
        Michael Moorcock wrote:

As I've said -- by having the characters very firmly in my head, I tend to have their memories. Not perfect, of course, like anyone's memories, so there are probably a few discrepencies, but for the collected (omnibus) edition I did have John helping me by pointing out what were pretty much minor discrepencies. I rewrote a lot of the last chapters of The Steel Tsar, which seriously needed the work in my view. I cut City at the request of the US editor who claimed, fairly, that he wanted a genre book not a discourse! So I was never at odds with David Hartwell (the editor). His argument was that if I'd wanted to write a discursive 'philosophical' text I shouldn't have sold him the book as a fantasy novel.
        I have a fair bit of the old manuscript in my hands now, but the rest is still with the friend I gave it to shortly after I'd written it. It would be worth publishing that version some day, to see what readers thought about it.
        Technique?

The usual time for writing a novel was three days. I grew up in a school of journalism where nothing took longer than a week, and a week was a very long time for anything. A day for a short story and three days for a novel. I was just used to writing at that speed. I was used to getting things in on deadlines - daily deadlines. So there is a whole sort of natural expectation. I didn’t know any better. I actually didn’t know you were supposed to take longer than a week.
        From MICHAEL MOORCOCK In Conversation with Colin Greenland and the Preston SF Group

I know this is horrible -- but I did most of those books in three days. I didn't read them the first time (Jim Cawthorn, Mike Harrison mostly used to read them for me, and then I'd send them to the publisher). Many of them, that I haven't had a reason to revise extensively, remain a mystery to me to this day! Somehow I seem to keep the salient stuff in my head. The characters are all alive for me, so that's probably a help. I do like computers and WP is useful, but in some ways I suspect I produced more and faster on the old Selectric II, which was the finest IBM made. I still have one. In fact I still have the Imperial 50-60 on which I typed all the early Elric stories and most of the Hawkmoon stories. I think I went to an electric typewriter with Hawkmoon 4 because I was in bed with three different sets of spots and a severe deadline. It's not fair to ask. I can't help it. But it pisses other people off. It takes me much longer to write now. That's partly because I keep setting myself harder jobs, mostly to stop myself from getting bored.
        From Q&A Archive Article #1304

(Does Mike put his self into his characters?

I'm mentioning this, to give a picture of my mood at the time of Elric's creation. If you've read the early Elric stories in particular, you'll see that Elric's outlook was rather similar to mine. My point is, that Elric was me (the me of 1960-1,anyway) and mingled qualities of betrayer and betrayed, the bewilderment about life in general, the search for some solution to it all, the expression of this bewilderment in terms of violence, cynicism and the need for revenge, were all characteristics of mine. So when I got the chance to write The Dreaming City, I was identifying very closely with my hero-villain. I thought myself something of an outcast (another romantic notion largely unsubstained now I look back) and emphasised Elric's physical differences accordingly:

His bizarre dress was tasteless and gaudy, and did not match his sensitive face and long-fingered, almost delicate hands, yet he flaunted it since it emphasised that he did not belong to any company - that he was an outsider an outcast. But, in reality, he had little need to wear such outlandish gear - for ... (he) was a pure albino who drew his power from a secret and terrible source.

(Stealer of Souls, page 13)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Thanks Lemec,excellent quotes well put together.I have gained a lot of insight from them and they make me want to go back and read certain books again.Well done.
          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
            Thanks Lemec,excellent quotes well put together.I have gained a lot of insight from them and they make me want to go back and read certain books again.Well done.
            Hi thingfish,

You are most welcome.

(I did not actually add anything new,though,just deleted some and moved that one post to the back,I was trying to narrow them down to ones that are the most helpful.)

I am very happy that you found them useful and glad the posts have encouraged you to explore the books again!

Thanks!

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Nice one Lemec.
              I especially enjoyed the quotes of mikes you found on the Pyat novels,in fact i am getting ready to start on "Byzantium" tonight.
              I am always amazed at the ease in which he finds the right words to explain his opinions.I wish i could do that.
              All the best!!
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
              X