Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Your First Moorcock 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Northport NY public library, summer of 1987. They had the first 5/6 Elric books, the ones with the Gould covers I love so much. I was reading voraciously at the time. I read those 5 books one week. Read the Harper Hall Dragonriders of Pern trilogy one week. Read the first 5 Thieves World books one week. Etc.

Elric blew me away. Each story was so different. Now I know that in part it’s because they weren’t written chronologically. When he met Corum and Hawkmoon and Erekosë it blew my mind. While the Gods Laugh really hit me profoundly, probably cemented the philosophy of Elric in me, but Kings in Darkness also kind of drove it home then.

Ironically they didn’t have Stormbringer. It was years before I got my hands on that book. And I was like “what the heck?!?! I waited years for this ending?! It’s worse than Blake’s 7!!” Now I get it, but it was brutal at the time. But by that point I had encountered his other series and I was hooked.
    Last edited by J-Sun; 08-10-2020, 07:22 PM.
    "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
    --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Blake's 7 was ace! Brutal but ace.

Comment

It’s still one of the best shows ever. I’ve been collecting the novels and the staggering number of CDs that Big Finish Productions does. They’re quite good.

and my daughter is called Cally with a Y. Callie with an IE works at a hospital and gossips in the break room. Cally with a Y is a psychic terrorist who laughs in the face of torture.
        "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."

Comment

I picked up my first Moorcock book in a Half Price books sometime in the early 2000s or late 90s. It was the Eternal Champion omnibus published by White Wolf. I've spent the last 20 years hunting down all the omnibuses from that series and as of a few months ago it is finally complete. Probably my most prized possession after the signed books Mike mailed me for my birthday years ago.

Comment

Those White Wolf omnibus editions are great, and some of them are getting really scarce. I like the looks of them better than the Orion ones, but the paper and binding quality aren’t the best. But the covers are so striking. All of them. And they look so good lined up on a bookshelf.

Comment

My first Moorcock was the Science Fiction Book Club Elric Saga: Volumes 1 and 2 in 1985. These were great collections of the Elric novels. Many of my friends borrowed these and were introduced to Moorcock as well. Years later my wife and children have read the same copies. To this day when I reread the Elric Saga these are my goto copies for the core novels. They are getting ragged, but they hold so many memories and energy from all of the hands they have passed through.
              I('d) tell you all, we are young at the end of this cycle, and there may be no rest even when we are done.- Devin Townsend

Comment

Originally posted by Navigator View Post
                My first Moorcock was the Science Fiction Book Club Elric Saga: Volumes 1 and 2 in 1985. These were great collections of the Elric novels. Many of my friends borrowed these and were introduced to Moorcock as well. Years later my wife and children have read the same copies. To this day when I reread the Elric Saga these are my goto copies for the core novels. They are getting ragged, but they hold so many memories and energy from all of the hands they have passed through.
                I love copies of books that have passed through many hands. (I have a copy of American Gods that has been on four continents through others’ travels). I read Elric in a combination of those same book club editions and the Berkeley set with the Gould covers. My sons will get those someday if I’m as lucky as you are. FWIW, your story really makes me happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc View Post

I love copies of books that have passed through many hands. (I have a copy of American Gods that has been on four continents through others’ travels). I read Elric in a combination of those same book club editions and the Berkeley set with the Gould covers. My sons will get those someday if I’m as lucky as you are. FWIW, your story really makes me happy.
                  I think just about everyone who has been an important part of my life has had a Moorcock book placed in their hands by me at some point.
                  My first copy of American Gods was sent to me by my daughter’s english teacher her junior year of high school. Four years later my son had the same teacher. I sent her a new copy of American Gods because the one she had sent was worn out. I also sent her a copy of An Alien Heat and Dan Simmons Hyperion.
                  I('d) tell you all, we are young at the end of this cycle, and there may be no rest even when we are done.- Devin Townsend

Comment

Those White Wolf omnibus editions are great, and some of them are getting really scarce. I like the looks of them better than the Orion ones, but the paper and binding quality aren’t the best. But the covers are so striking. All of them. And they look so good lined up on a bookshelf.
                    I’ve got a few of those omnibuses and I regret not purchasing all of them because they sure are expensive now. And yeah, they look nicer than the rest.

Comment

What I like most about those omnibuses is the intros from Mike. Really makes them feel special. One of the main reasons I fell in love with the series in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Navigator View Post
                        I think just about everyone who has been an important part of my life has had a Moorcock book placed in their hands by me at some point.
                        My first copy of American Gods was sent to me by my daughter’s english teacher her junior year of high school. Four years later my son had the same teacher. I sent her a new copy of American Gods because the one she had sent was worn out. I also sent her a copy of An Alien Heat and Dan Simmons Hyperion.
                        We need more people like this teaching English.

I have also put a lot of Mike’s stuff in other people’s hands. I have spare copies of some of the stuff that I’m especially evangelical about. My extra copies of Blood, Breakfast in the Ruins, Gloriana, and Behold the Man have a lot of miles on them. Some of them haven’t made it back to me, and that’s just fine. I like to think that many of them have passed along again.

Mike’s work is so varied you can pretty safely recommend something to almost anyone. Occasionally I’ll hear from someone who started with something I recommended who then makes a leap to something totally different. They are usually asking me to explain how the same author wrote such disparate work. Most recently it was someone who read Dancers and then picked up Pyat...

Comment

Originally posted by J-Sun View Post

I’ve got a few of those omnibuses and I regret not purchasing all of them because they sure are expensive now. And yeah, they look nicer than the rest.
                          I got most of them within a year of their release. I’ve seen some copies of Kane, Earl Aubec, and Count Brass go for stupid prices on eBay. Not sure why those in particular were in such demand, although maybe there are fewer copies of Earl Aubec and Count Brass because of White Wolf’s financial troubles. Regardless, it would be hard to think about starting a collection of them now without spending several hundred dollars.

But they still look so good...

Comment

Originally posted by Thanos Shadowsage View Post
                            What I like most about those omnibuses is the intros from Mike. Really makes them feel special. One of the main reasons I fell in love with the series in the first place.
                            Agreed. You always get your money’s worth out of Mike’s introductions and these were exceptional even by his standards. He’s always thoughtful and rarely less than insightful.

Comment

I got most of them within a year of their release. I’ve seen some copies of Kane, Earl Aubec, and Count Brass go for stupid prices on eBay. Not sure why those in particular were in such demand, although maybe there are fewer copies of Earl Aubec and Count Brass because of White Wolf’s financial troubles. Regardless, it would be hard to think about starting a collection of them now without spending several hundred dollars.
                              Yeah, I had about half of them already when I started running into trouble getting the rest for reasonable prices. My last purchase was Legends from the End of Time and it set me back $80. If I recall correctly Count Brass and Earl Aubec were also in the $50+ range. But I just had to complete the set. With all the joy Mike has given me over the years it was worth it.

Now if I could just get that niggling thought out of my head about making the whole set the hardcovers instead of the mismatch hodgepodge I have now. The mrs might have something to say about that financial decision however. 🙄

Comment

Knowing how much Inside The Media Web set me back this year, $80 doesn’t seem that bad.

I've been upgrading my collection this year, getting rid of books with tattered or mismatched covers. This year I’ve given away to a couple friends:

gloriana
                                all 6 Corum
                                all 7 Hawkmoon
                                the main 3 eternal champion
                                plus Swords of Heaven
                                the main 2 von bek
                                The sundered worlds

so... 20 books plus graphic novel. Tattered but readable. I’m hoping it instills a love of moorcock in these two friends

Comment

Working...
                                X