Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Warhound and the World's Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max von Bek
    replied
    This is the very first EC story that I ever read, and quite inspirational it was to! In fact, it led to a cohesion of stories that my cousin and I had come up with a few years back, as well as the inclusion of parts of the EC mythos into our own story-universe (from which have sprung, so far, 3 home-made films set on the world of Tu-Vella-Thaa - not that they've been distributed or anything, as they're more a private bit of fun, although I'd love to be able to upload them online! ).

Leave a comment:

• Random Goblin
    replied
    This book is a particular favorite of mine.

Leave a comment:

• Morgan Kane
    replied
    Nice picture ......

Just finished the dreamthhief daughter .........

concludes the Von Beck saga but a little short ? after finishing the book, i am still hungry for something ..........

Leave a comment:

• Mikey_C
    replied
    This print, "The Knight, Death and the Devil", from Albrecht Durer has for me some of the atmosphere of WHWP:

Leave a comment:

• Morgan Kane
    replied
    In the war hound, Xiombarg is a young pleasant woman queen of an happy pastoral kingdom in Mittelmarch ........

It shows/reminds us that if in the Elric saga, MM insists on the destructive side of chaos, chaos is multiple ....and can be pleasant, peacefull and constructive ?

Just finished to read again city of the automn stars ........

The main idea of the preceding book is here : it is up to mankind to find his own salvation ..........

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    It is so long ago that I read this book. So now I've started rereading it. Compelling from page 1, I can tell you.

Leave a comment:

• Qweevox
    replied
    Originally posted by Morgan Kane
    Currently rereading the book

One of the thing who interested me the most is an original vision of Xiombarg showing a little known side of chaos .......

I haven't read the book...yet. What is the known side of chaos revealed in the book?

Leave a comment:

• Keele
    replied
    Having just begun the second volume of the Von Beck trilogy ( ? blood red game not included ), the information is roughly exact but relative to Manfred and not to Ulrich, the character of the Warhound .....
    I thought the Ulrich of Warhound was in his late twenties or early thirties; he left Bek at a young age, and he was able to return home before his father's death, which implies to me that even given his years of fighting he was fairly young. He dies in 1680 (?), so he can't have been too old during the Thirty Years' War.

Ulrich as also with Erekosë in The Dragon in the Sword, but that was a (different) 1930's-1940's Graf Ulrich von Bek, correct?
    Yep. Same name, different guy. The Ulrich of The Dragon in the Sword lives to rid Germany of fascism.

Leave a comment:

• Morgan Kane
    replied
    Advancing in the reading of the book, i have edited my preceding post ...

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    Originally posted by Morgan Kane
    Having just begun the second volume of the Von Beck trilogy ( ? blood red game not included ), the information is roughly exact but relative to Manfred and not to Ulrich, the character of the Warhound .....

But even if in the book, Manfred speak about his travel in Russia before his sojourn in America, i believe that he went in America then in Russia :

In 1777, he was 22 years old and in 1781, 26 years old.

He could not have traveled in Russia, stayed some time and been exiled two years in tartars lands before going to the states in time to take part in the war .....

right,right. I get those first names mixed up sometimes.

Ulrich as also with Erekosë in The Dragon in the Sword, but that was a (different) 1930's-1940's Graf Ulrich von Bek, correct?

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by L'Etranger
    Kristofferson is short? In Heaven's Gate he really looked tall. Amazing what the camera angle can do!
    He was here during last Spring's South by Southwest and did a great deal of press. I'm ready to believe that he seemed shorter than he is because he appeared with some very tall people, but my impression is that he is no taller than 5'9'' or so--not exactly short, but not quite Lucifer tall, either.

As an aside, he was swarmed by women young enough to be his graddaughters.

Leave a comment:

• Morgan Kane
    replied

But even if in the book, Manfred speak about his travel in Russia before his sojourn in America, i believe that he went in America then in Russia :

In 1777, he was 22 years old and in 1781, 26 years old.

Later in the book he says that he was 17 years old at the russian court and a plaything beetwen the tsarin and her lover .....
    Last edited by Morgan Kane; 07-27-2006, 10:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    I found this on an old internet forum. ( I think it was for a game)

I do not know how accurate the information is, but I do remember reading something like this. I'll have to get the book out sometime,hehe.

Anyway, it might give a clue to his age.

Manfred was born in Bek in 1755 and spent his youth at the Royal Gymnasium in Mirenburg. After this, he journeyed to Russia, where he was embroiled in Catherine the Great's games with Pushkin (As Diderot was leaving, it will have been 1774), but after being accused of taking part in a murder plot against the Empress, he was exiled to Siberia (which, considering what happened to her other discarded lovers, was a light sentence), from where he escaped and spent two years with the Tartars, learning their ways. After this he traveled to America to take part in the war of independence (we know this as he is placed at Saratoga and Yorktown, both 1777 and 1781 respectively. Little is known about the time after the war ended until he was met and persuaded by Anarcharsis Cloots and the Jacobins to go take part in the French Revolution (around 1789, I suspect), and like Cloots, he gave up his lands, title, and family loyalty and traveled to Paris. Here he was active in the Revolution, but he was also a strong opposer of the death penalty, so after Tom Paine was imprisoned as a Royalist sympathizer for objecting to the execution of Marie Antoinette Capet (along with Manfred and a few others), Manfred decided to leave France behind and travel to the safety of Mirenburg.........
    Last edited by lemec; 07-26-2006, 07:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc
    Kristoferson as Lucifer is perfect! He has that well aged, well worn weather beaten face, but still looks amazing. I think he's a bit short, but that wouldn't show on screen.
    Kristofferson is short? In Heaven's Gate he really looked tall. Amazing what the camera angle can do!

Leave a comment:

• Morgan Kane
    replied
    Having just finished the book:

The most important in the book is affirmation of freedom of humanity to build the world. Misfortunes are not the deeds of god or devil but of man.

Style : powerfull and elliptic as often ..... one year of adventuring in three pages ... the reader is adult and can make his own pictures.

Story : fine and entertaining.

The visions of Germany in war, of the kingdom of Xiombarg and of mittelmarch are interesting.

Lucifer is very romantic and somehow classical .....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X