Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Warhound and the World's Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Warhound and the World's Pain

I'm a fan. I love the reimagining of Lucifer, which throws out Milton and so many others, and I love that Von Bek--a soldier of fortune with a devil-owned soul--is the hero. And Mittlemarch is an interesting place.

In the context of the larger EC cycle, I think it works even better, because of the incorporation of Christian mythology. Accounting for Christianity makes the EC seem more...universal?...to me, and opens up larger philosophical questions in the novel and in the cycle, in particular on the notion of god and God.

As an aside, I was reminded of it throughout The War Amongst the Angels, which is one of my favorite novels (of MM's or anyone else's).

This is one of my own favourites too. From memory: 'It was in that year when the fashion in cruelty demanded not only the cruxifiction of peasant children, but a similar fate for their pets, that I first met Lucifer and was transported into hell, for the Prince of Darkness wished to strike a bargain with me.'

What's not to like about book that opens like that. WHatWP is seemingly one of those effortless numbers Mike writes in between larger project. Written in a lucid prose style and full of hidden depths and ironies.

Comment

Currently rereading the book

One of the thing who interested me the most is an original vision of Xiombarg showing a little known side of chaos .......

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Mouser
        This is one of my own favourites too. From memory: 'It was in that year when the fashion in cruelty demanded not only the cruxifiction of peasant children, but a similar fate for their pets, that I first met Lucifer and was transported into hell, for the Prince of Darkness wished to strike a bargain with me.'

What's not to like about book that opens like that.
        First of all, I'm impressed that you know that from memory, Mouser! I agree with you. The book is worth it for the premise, but it gets better.

Morgan, we'll be interested to hear what you think as you get closer to being finished.

Comment

This book is about the Middle East then?

No,of course I know it. It is set in one of Europe's darkest times, during the Thirty Years War when two thirds of the central European population was wiped out in the name of one and the same God.
          Impressive background for an impressive book.
          Google ergo sum

Comment

I love The Warhound and the World's Pain!

It is not mentioned enough as far as I am concerned!

my first taste of Von Bek, or maybe second, I read it at about the same time as when Ulrich? or Urlik Von Bek met up with The Eternal Champion in Dragon in the Sword, which also had the Maaaschanheem and other realms surrounding the Hub of Chaos.

Did "Warhound" have Mirenburg in it too?, I forget, I know The City In the Autumn Stars did, and it is a must read if you read The Warhound and the World's Pain. I love the city of Mirenburg! (and it's underworld)

I think Dragon in the Sword is in my top five favourite books, after giving it some thought, I think about it all the time! I need to go re-read that one.

I can't believe it's been about or indeed over a decade since I read most of those books.

Ya!, exciting thread!

As I mentioned over at sordsorcery and/or maybe here or the PX,

I want to make a "motorcycle club" vest, that is black leather, brass buttons on the lower front, and on the back, embroidered in deep crimson, it will state across the top in slanted letters ( formind a half-circle) - :

Von Bek

-and at the bottom, in blood red letters, it will read:

"Do You The Devil's Work"
            Last edited by lemec; 07-24-2006, 07:42 AM.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
            - Michael Moorcock

Comment

P.S.

Even this guy can't hold a candle to Von Bek when he is fighting from horseback.

Von Bek, two flintlock pistols in hand, with the reins in his teeth!

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/mptv/101...th_key=0073636

"Rooster Cogburn", if the image did not appear.
              Last edited by lemec; 07-24-2006, 08:00 AM.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
              - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Hey Lemec, if you want a closer parallel in cinema to Warhound try The Last Valley, a film based on a story by James Clavell and staring Michael Caine. It has similar vibes to Warhound and is an excellent film in its own right:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/cust...842603-1659540

It might be the best compromise we have until Warhound gets filmed.

Comment

For me, The warhound is one of the best Moorcock ........

The painting of the horrors of war is terrific by realism ......

The passage with Satan and in hell is a masterpiece of allusive writing .......

Not too much, not too little ....

Comment

Hey Lemec, if you want a closer parallel in cinema to Warhound try The Last Valley, a film based on a story by James Clavell and staring Michael Caine. It has similar vibes to Warhound and is an excellent film in its own right:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/cust...842603-1659540

It might be the best compromise we have until Warhound gets filmed.

Oh! Thanks, Grey Mouser!

I did not know that and I almost bought that dvd on several occasions because I saw Michael Caine was in it. I will have to get that one for sure,now.

I liked Shogun and Tai-Pan so I'm bound to enjoy it!

-Lemec

(Oh, what bliss a "Warhound" movie would be.)

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Now that we're at it. Who should play von Bek?
                      He'd have to be both rakish and noble, war-seasoned and highly skilled with rapier and on horseback, plus have a credibly pensative touch, too.
                      Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger
                        He'd have to be both rakish and noble, war-seasoned and highly skilled with rapier and on horseback, plus have a credibly pensative touch, too.

Excellent question!

Sean Bean?

Tim Curry as Lucifer

of the top of my head.

more research and selection to come.....

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger
                          Off the top of my head, Cilian Murphy as von Bek and Julian Sands as Lucifer.

Comment

Well, not bad, Murphy looks hungry enough. How old do we feel von Bek is ? Or is it said somewhere in the book? (Here, too: I read it 15 years ago)
                            Those guys dirung the 30 Years War were pretty tough if they were to survive any length. I have read accounts of my own ancestor who commanded a cavalry unit and was severely wounded several times! On the paintings he looks pretty much like he wasn't out for jokes. An old wisdom of war seems to indicate that the older you got the longer you survived!
                            Last edited by L'Etranger; 07-25-2006, 06:45 AM.
                            Google ergo sum

Comment

oooh! good choices, Doc!

L'Etranger, fascinating background! Do you have any Prussian ancestors who fought in America?

anyway, here are some more of quick choices that I might think about for the roles.

von Bek- (I don't think age was given, seemed like he was fighting awhile and had connections in France and knew geography well, like someone who has been around many years.)

Joseph Fiennes
                              Eric Stoltz
                              Jonny Lee Miller
                              Daniel Day-Lewis

Lucifer-

Stephen Rea
                              Maximilian Schell
                              Donald Sutherland
                              Robert Duvall
                              Jeff Daniels
                              Robert Conrad
                              Gabriel Byrne

Zbigniew Zamachowski- I saw his filmography online, he looks like he is very experienced and would really fit the role.

Have you seen him in anything? (I was searching Polish actors and German actors)

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                              X