Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Jerry Cornelius Reading List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Cornelius Reading List

Hello. I am currently making my way through The Eternal Champion Series (the U.K. Omnibus editions). My intention is to then read all the Jerry Cornelius stories I can manage starting with the 4 novels comprising the Cornelius Quartet. I'm wondering what other Cornelius novels/stories there are and what order it might be best to read them in.

Off the top of my head:

The Lives and Times of Jerry Corelius (linked short stories-There are three editions)

The Adventures of Una Persson and Catherine Cornelius in the 20th Century
    The Entropy Tango
    The Alchemist's Question
    The latter three are collected in A Cornelius Calendar, along with the Golddiggers of 1977

There is also The Nature of the Catastrophe (updated as The New Nature of the Catastrophe as it appears in the UK EC volumes)

Also, PS Published Firing the Cathedral in a limited edition, which is also included in the newest edition of Lives and Times along with the Spencer Inheritence, a relatively new JC story.

Comment

Inside of all four of the Fontana 1978 editions in the Cornelius Tetralogy there was the following text:

THE JERRY CORNELIUS TETRALOGY

The Final Programme (1965)
      A Cure For Cancer (1968)
      The English Assassin (1972)
      The Condition of Muzak (1976)

Although these books may be read in any order, the reader might wish to know that the structure of the last volume reflects the structure of the overall tetralogy. The following books are related to the above:

The Chinese Agent* (1970)
      The Lives and Times of Jerry Cornelius (1966-74)
      The Nature of the Catastrophe (1971)
      The Adventures of Una Persson and Catherine Cornelius in the Twentieth Century (1976)

Most other books are indirectly related, particularly:

The Warlord of the Air (1971)
      The Land Leviathan** (1975)
      The Dancers at the End of Time (3 vols 1972-6)
      Legends from the End of Time (2 vols 1976-7)
      Breakfast in the Ruins (1971)
      *You can probably add now The Russian Intelligence (1980)
      ** and The Steel Tsar revised edition (1993)

In addition to Doc's list of additional texts there's also The Distant Suns although it's not a JC novel in the same vein as say The Entropy Tango.

Gold-diggers of 1977 was originally titled The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle before being revised.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

There's also a very good Jerry story in Fabulous Harbours (1996), which is part of the Second Ether trilogy but also has some Elric and Begg stories in there, so I think it can be read in isolation. It's really one of the best, if you ask me... which you didn't.

Note: A character called Jerry Cornelius appears in a story called "The Black Corridor", but it isn't really a JC story. It's a completely different style and attitude, but also a very good story in itself.

Er... we have now reached the very edge of my knowledge... :)
        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Hmm... just noticed from my previous post that The Final Programme first appeared in 1965.
          Did no-one think of producing a 40th anniversary edition of the Quartet? :?
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

As a fellow champion of the second ether, I should have remembered the story in Fabulous Harbors, Dee. :oops:

I might also add to Demos' list that there is at least one story in Lunching with the Antichrist that is JC related, although the title slips my mind right now.

40th anniversary of The Final Programme... I like the idea! If only I owned a massive publishing house :)

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
              Hmm... just noticed from my previous post that The Final Programme first appeared in 1965.
              Did no-one think of producing a 40th anniversary edition of the Quartet? :?
              It appeared (in chunks) in New Worlds in '65. (I know. It's the first work by Moorcock I read.) I think the book version took a few years to get into print. Memory seems to say it was '67 or '68.

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                There's also a very good Jerry story in Fabulous Harbours (1996), which is part of the Second Ether trilogy but also has some Elric and Begg stories in there, so I think it can be read in isolation. It's really one of the best, if you ask me... which you didn't.

Note: A character called Jerry Cornelius appears in a story called "The Black Corridor", but it isn't really a JC story. It's a completely different style and attitude, but also a very good story in itself.

Er... we have now reached the very edge of my knowledge... :)
                You mean 'The Distant Suns' which is a rather pulpy sci-fi novel co-written with J. Cawthorn.

Comment

Originally posted by manmiles
                  You mean 'The Distant Suns' which is a rather pulpy sci-fi novel co-written with J. Cawthorn.
                  [Dee runs upstairs, full of indigantion and porridge. He collects his copy of Sailing to Utopia and checks the relevant (and irrelevant) pages. His indignation melts into a blush]

:oops: Absolutely right. Sorry about that. I have them both in the same edition, and I got the two mixed up. :oops:
                  "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                    Originally posted by manmiles
                    [Dee runs upstairs, full of indigantion and porridge. He collects his copy of Sailing to Utopia and checks the relevant (and irrelevant) pages. His indignation melts into a blush]

:oops: Absolutely right. Sorry about that. I have them both in the same edition, and I got the two mixed up. :oops:
                    It happens, happens to me all the time. Go have more porridge and a good day my dear Chap. :D

Comment

Working...
                    X