Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Moorcock Reading Circle - a suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Mosley
    replied
    Heh, a little slow at the moment to be honest. Holiday reading patterns haven't quite worked out as I anticipated - but that's the point of holidays, eh? :) However, I reckon I can still make my deadline of the end of August at the moment. :scratch:

I've already got NW 145 with the conclusion of the serialised SoD and I should be receiving my copy of NW 144 off eBay (from that nice Mr Joseph Green) in the post soon, so I'll be interested in comparing them with the novel when I'm able.

Leave a comment:

• Marca
    replied
    How's The Shores Of Death going demos? I've opted out of reading the whole book again so soon after reading the serial version, but am interested on hearing your thoughts on it. I might well dip into it and compare it with the original version when I check out your review.

Leave a comment:

• Mikey_C
    replied
    I've got hold of a copy and will give it a read. This was one of the first MM books I ever read nearly 25 years ago, so it should be an interesting experience to see how much of t I remember!

Leave a comment:

• manmiles
    replied
    The Shores of Death is one of my favourite Moorcock novels and I was lucky enough to be able to pick up the two issues of New Worlds with the original version on ebay.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    I'm going on holiday this weekend for two weeks, and while I'm taking a stack of reading material so I can continue working on the Moorcockopedia (sad, isn't it?) I will also be reading The Shores of Death as well whenever I'm able, so if anyone would like to join me in the Moorcock Reading Circle's first book feel free to join me and we'll reconvene at the end of August and see how it went.

Cheers,
    David

Leave a comment:

• Mikey_C
    replied
    I'm tempted, you know. However, as I'm already doing a degree, I'm a bit nervous about having a reading list for fiction. But Shores of Death is a book I haven't read for a very long time. It would be interesting...

Leave a comment:

• Marca
    replied
    I'm all for holding off slightly longer to see if anyone else wants to join in...? But Shores Of Death sounds good to me, it will be interesting to compare with the magazine version and was in fact, as I recall, the first Moorcock book I ever read.

I guess the reviews ought to be put up here, since they wouldn't really belong in Q&A.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    'The Shores of Death' works for me. Have the 1974 Mayflower edition, which I've been looking for an excuse to read for some years now, so this is as good as any imo. I'm currently dipping into 'Stealer of Souls' at the moment, but I can break off at any time to start 'Shores' (I'm not very good at reading books in tandem - prefer to dedicate my time/effort to one at a time.)

I've never done or been in a reading circle/book club before, so I'm not sure how they're supposed to work. I guess we need a deadline to read the book by - how does end of the month sound? I reckon if I stay off the Internet in the evening I could probably read SoD a week or so, but if you'd prefer longer then don't let me dictate to you.

Once we've both finished it, should we each post a review of the book here somewhere? Maybe start a thread 'Moorcock Reading Circle - Book 1: The Shores of Death' or something, rather than continuing it here? Is Tanelorn the best forum for that rather than Q&A, say? I suppose with Mike being a resident of these parts, this could be an opportunity to discuss the book(s) with the author - something most book clubs lack I daresay. (Of course, that presupposes that either of us comes up with anything that would warrant a response from Mike. :lol: ) Anyway, what's a decent length for a review? 500 words? No more than 1000 probably, but I guess it depends what we find to say about it.

If it is just the two of us, then so be it. From small acorns mighty oaks may grow and all that. Hopefully other people may decide to join in later when they see what we're up to? The more people who can contribute the more effective the Reading Circle would be, but my reading over the past few years has been abominable, so anything that gets me off the computer and back into using my brain again has got to be worthwhile. :D

Leave a comment:

• Marca
    replied
    Is it just you and me then demos? 'Come on, all you Moorcock fans -let's be 'avin you!!!'

I'm at the point in my reading where Mike's first novels began to be published. I've already read Blood Red Game from its magazine printing, so I guess the earliest books I'd be interested in would be the likes of The Shores Of Death and The Winds Of Limbo. Just finishing off the magazine version of Shores and it is very different to the book, for reasons Mike explains in the book intro.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    replied
    Well, one of those three was me actually - I always believe in voting in my own polls. :P But that still leaves two other anonymous voters, so perhaps if they'd like to make themselves known we can try something out?

Maybe it's a good idea to start off small and see how it goes the first time? If we think it works we can always let people know again if/when we do a second book and see if this snowball grows any.

I think we should wait until our mysterious other two readers can have a say in what - if anything - they'd like to read, but I've got a tonne of Mike's stuff I haven't read properly; maybe its an idea to start with something not-too heavy? It could be a recent book (ie The Dreamthief's Daughter) or quite old (The Blood-red Game)? I'd like to get around to the Pyat books in due course, but perhaps not for the very first?

Cheers,
    David

Leave a comment:

• Marca
    replied
    Right then, who are the other three people who voted 'yes'.....? Any more thoughts on this demos?

Leave a comment:

• Marca
    replied
    I've chipped in with a cautious 'yes'. Cautious mainly for the reason that for the past few months I've been engaged on my own Moorcock reading programme, attempting to read in (approximate) chronological order all Mike's fiction. 8O

Starting with the early Sojan stories I'm currently up to 1964 (only another 40 years or so to go!) and the start of the New Worlds era. Nearly all this has been shorts or novelettes so far, including the early Elrics and some other shorts I hadn't got round to before, or didn't have.

I can't imagine reading everything in order (I'd probably not get round to the more recent books until around 2010!), and there are some books I've had for a long time that I'd like to read (like the Pyat books) but never have, so it might be quite a fun thing to do.

The problems I anticipate are matching reading speeds (some days I don't read much, others I get into it and can read quite a bit), making sure everyone has the books (I have at least one edition of just about everything except White Wolf's Son, which I've yet to get) and agreeing on a book in the first place.

Still, an interesting idea, which could add something to the solitary process of reading. :) I'd probably be interested in reading Mike's more serious fiction in such a group, but I'm open to persuasion.

Leave a comment:

• David Mosley
    started a topic Moorcock Reading Circle - a suggestion

Moorcock Reading Circle - a suggestion

Don't quite know where I'm really going with this suggestion, but I wondered if there would be any interest in organizing a Moorcock Reading Circle (or 'Book Club' as Oprah/Richard & Judy) call them)?

I've got a ton of books by Mike and realised while sorting them recently that there's actually quite a few that I've either never read or haven't finished or just haven't read for quite a long time. So I'm thinking that maybe I ought to start reading them. :)

My first idea was to start a project were I'd read all of Mike's work in chronological (publication) order starting with Caribbean Crisis (which is available online) and eventually (over a period of years?) working up to The White Wolf's Son. After I'd read each book, I'd post a review here summarising my thoughts and stuff.

But perhaps that was a little egotisitcal? So, my second idea was, what if a group of us all read the same book at the same time and then 'discussed' it on the forums afterwards? In other words, a 'reading circle'.

We'd have to agree on a timescale to read each book, and although lots of book clubs seem to run on a weekly schedule, I know that people will have different amounts of free time and some might need longer. Perhaps a month is suitable. Some books could be read very quickly (ie Elric) whereas other novels (Mother London?) might take longer. Shorter (quicker) books could be read in omnibus format (ie The Swords of Corum) to compensate.

Perhaps initially we could set a limit, say, 4 months to see how things went? If successful then we could expand it to a longer period.

Something that might be important is that whatever books we pick, they should be readily available to all participants. If you're anything like me then you've probably got most of Mike's published work, but not everyone does and not everyone could afford to buy copies of stuff they don't have. (Public libraries might be an option of course, but I don't know how pervasive Mike's stuff is nowadays.)

Then there's the matter of different versions of Mike's books. Personally I'm not bothered if you read 'The Nomad of Time' with the original version of 'The Steel Tsar' rather than 'A Nomad of the Time Streams' with the revised version, as it would generate different impressions/responses, but perhaps other people would prefer everyone read the same version?

Finally, I'm not sure if anything like this has ever been attempted here before. I did do a search on 'book clubs' here, but the only reference I found was a comment from Mike about the 'publishing' type of book club (like the Book club Association).

Perhaps if anyone's interested in this idea they could post their names in this thread and then at the end of the week (or so) we could see how much interest there might be? Might also be worthwhile noting how many of Mike's books you have - or if there's anything you'd especially like to read?

I'll get the ball rolling. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: David (demos99)

I have most of Mike's work (I think), apart from some of his more recent books. I've got most if not all of the Mayflower books, quite a few Grafton/Granada omnibuses, and the Orion/Millennium editions of his EC cycle. I've the Cornelius novels in various editions, ditto the Pyat novels, etc.

I'd like to cover a range of Mike's output, ranging from the fantasy stuff to the more literary books, since it's the latter that I've not read as much of.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, over to the rest of you. Please add any comments or suggestions that you think would be useful.

Cheers,
    David
Working...
X