Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Eternal Champion: A Guide for Newbies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Eternal Champion: A Guide for Newbies

Introduction

A lot of newcomers to the forum and to Mr. Moorcock's work in general are probably wondering just where the heck they should start when attempting to read the Eternal Champion sequence. The White Wolf Omnibus editions are Mr. Moorcock's suggested reading order, and this list has been put together to reflect that list. The Omnibus editions are becoming scarce, but all of the books collected with in the Omnibus editions should be relatively easy to find via Amazon, Abe and other second hand bookstores. If you are collecting old paperbacks and don't know where to start, this list has been posted with you in mind. Enjoy the Multiverse!

What order should I read the books in?

The first thing you should do is read the books collected in the 15 omnibus editions. The name of the Omnibus edition is listed first, then the names of the books within that collection are listed. These are what you should look for when you are looking for used paperbacks. In cases where there are multiple titles, I have tried to include the alternates. The bibliography also has this list (and had it first I might add): [broken link]

The Eternal Champion:

The Eternal Champion
    The Sundered Worlds (The Blood Red Game)
    Phoenix in Obsidian (The Silver Warriors)

Von Bek:

The Warhound and the World's Pain
    The City in the Autumn Stars
    The Dragon in the Sword

Hawkmoon:

The Jewel in the Skull
    The Mad God's Amulet
    The Sword of the Dawn
    The Runestaff

A Nomad of the Time Streams:

The Warlord of Air
    The Land Leviathan
    The Steel Tsar

Elric: Song of the Black Sword:

Elric of Melnibone
    Fortress of the Pearl
    Sailor on the Seas of Fate
    Weird of the White Wolf

(The Elric books are collected as the Elric Saga I-III through the Sci-Fi book club)

The Roads Between the Worlds:

The Wrecks of Time (The Rituals of Infinity)
    The Winds of Limbo (The Fireclown)
    The Shores of Death (The Twilight Man)

Corum: The Coming of Chaos:

The Knight of Swords
    The Queen of Swords
    The King of Swords

(also collected in paperback as The Swords Trilogy)

Sailing to Utopia:

The Ice Schooner
    The Black Corridor
    The Distant Suns

Kane of Old Mars:

City of the Beast (Warriors of Mars)
    Lord of the Spiders (Blades of Mars)
    Masters of the Pit (Barbarians of Mars)

The Dancers at the End of Time:

An Alien Heat
    The Hollow Lands
    The End of All Songs

Elric: The Stealer of Souls:

The Vanishing Tower
    Revenge of the Rose
    The Bane of the Blacksword
    Stormbringer

Corum: The Prince with the Silver Hand:

The Bull and the Spear
    The Oak and the Ram
    The Sword and the Stallion

(also collected in paperback as the Chronicles of Corum)

Count Brass:

Count Brass
    The Champion of Garathorm
    The Quest for Tanelorn

After you have finished the above books, I recommend you read the Cornelius books, the Second Ether Trilogy, and the new Elric books.

Cornelius:

The Final Programme
    A Cure for Cancer
    The English Assassain
    The Condition of Muzak

(also collected in paperback as The Cornelius Quartet)

The Second Ether:

Blood
    Fabulous Harbors
    The War Amongst the Angels

The new Elric books:

The Dreamthief's Daughter
    The Skrayling Tree

Please note that two volumes of the Omnibus sequence are collections of short stories. These volumes are entitled Legends From the End of Time and Earl Aubec. If you can't find the Omnibus editions, I suggest you read Elric at the End of Time, Lunching With the Antichrist, Dying For Tomorrow, The Time Dweller, Casablanca, My Experiences in the Third World War, The Deep Fix, The Opium General, Tales From the Texas woods, and Legends From the End of Time, as well as the novel The Golden Barge. You will be able to find the all of the stories in those books. Some stories appear in various books. For a complete list, go to this page: [broken link]

I found an old Moorcock book in the bookstore the other day. Can I read it?

This order is the preferred order, but if you want to read Cornelius before the Eternal Champion, enjoy!!! I do strongly recommend that you read the stories in a given series in order. Then again, I read King of Swords and the Chronicles of Corum before I read the first two swords book, and I read The Quest for Tanelorn before Count Brass and The Champion of Garathorm! If you don't mind spoiling the end of a trilogy for yourself, read in whatever order you want.
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-21-2010, 01:55 PM.

Wow, isn't that a lot of books?

Most of these books are less than two hundred pages. Some of my friends are flabbergasted by the number of books, until they see how short most of them are. Short and stuffed with plenty of goodness. If you are interested, check out my condensed guide, which is designed to take you from The Eternal Champion to The Skrayling Tree in as few books as possible (all based on my own opinions and preferences).

Okay, so where can I find all these books?

You can find most or all of them at www.abebooks.com, the Advanced Book Exchange.

Amazon offers second hand books as well. I am in the process of posting links from the Condensed Guide to Amazon. I will also link the main guide to Amazon when I get the chance.

Also try www.ebay.com. Ebay users often sell collections of Moorcock paperbacks for very cheap.

Jon Davey at Jayde designs seems to have plenty of good stuff. Here is his email: [email protected]

Is it going to be expensive to collect them all?

It might be, but most of the paperbacks go for about a buck or two at the Advanced Book Exchange. Order a bunch at once to save on shipping!

The Condensed Guide

This is my own list, based on my preferences. You can take it or leave it. Think of it as a different perspective on the matter (namely, mine). I am working on linking these to Amazon so you can find them quickly.

John Daker

The Eternal Champion
    Phoenix in Obsidian
    The Dragon in the Sword

Elric

Elric of Melnibone
    Fortress of the Pearl
    The Sailor on the Seas of Fate
    The Weird of the White Wolf
    The Vanishing Tower
    Revenge of the Rose
    The Bane of the Black Sword
    Stormbringer

Corum

The Knight of Swords
    The Queen of Swords
    The King of Swords
    The Bull and the Spear
    The Oak and the Ram
    The Sword and the Stallion

Hawkmoon

The Jewel in the Skull
    The Mad God's Amulet
    The Warriors of the Dawn
    The Runestaff

Bastable

The Warlord of Air
    The Land Leviathan
    The Steel Tsar

Von Bek

The Warhound and the World's Pain
    The City in the Autumn Stars

Count Brass/Hawkmoon

Count Brass
    The Champion of Garathorm
    The Quest for Tanelorn

Cornelius

The Final Programme
    A Cure for Cancer
    The English Assassain
    The Condition of Muzak

The 2nd Ether

Blood
    Fabulous Harbours
    The War Amongst the Angels

Elric/Oona/VonBek

The Dreamthief's Daughter
    The Skrayling Tree

Comment

thanks for the list you provided.it has been 20 years since a friend of mine first piqued my curiosity by uttering the name :
      "stormbringer" and i've just recently been trying to grab copies.i live in wichita,ks and it has been tring to say the least searching for the books.i have found a few(the local libraries never have all of what i'm looking for unless i try an interlibrary loan which can take a while to recieve)and without some kind of reference list most of my searching had been limited to just "elric" titles because that was what i remembered.i understand your friends frustration at reading books out of sequence because i had the same problem when i first picked up the skrayling tree,not knowing about "the dreamthiefs daughter"(which i recieved for christmas thankfully and read before the turkey was devoured).the search is on.one question though;are there(or will there be)any books that surround mournblade as involved as stormbringer?

Comment

Not really a "Mournblade" book per se, but several books make reference to it. You'll find that Stormbringer shows up in various incarnations throughout the series and sometimes the reference is very subtle (as in "The Sword and the Stallion").

Comment

Re: The Eternal Champion: A Guide for Newbies

Originally posted by dlackey
          Bastable*:

The Warlord of Air
          The Land Leviathan

*I did not include the Steel Tsar. I hated that book, and Mr. M. once stated to me in the Q&A that he didn't like it either. Therefore, I am leaving it off. Read if you so desire.
          Does that mean that we can leave it off without much damage done?
          \\

Comment

edited 1-28-04

I am adding the Steel Tsar to the list. Some people might want to compete the trilogy. My opinion on the book is irrelavant.

Comment

Being somewhat of a newbie (I've just read the Elric stories so far) lists like these are handy to have. Not that my collecting technique requires lists, since it boils down to entering any bookstore I see and taking every book that says "Moorcock" on it. I'm not sure how many such books the are in US bookstores, but here in the Netherlands it's typically rather few.

Could be years before I find The Mad God's Amulet and get to complete the Hawkmoon set.

Comment

You know, Shadowheart, I read many of the above series out of order for pretty much the same reason- I would walk into a used bookstore and grab anything that said Moorcock on the cover. My guide is just a guide, but if you have to read out of order, go for it. I have found a used bookstore near me that has lots of Moorcock paperbacks come through it and even some Harlan Ellisons, which are even harder to find for some reason. Damn things sold millions of copies in the 60's and 70's, now you can't find them! By the way, if you don't mind ordering from the States, I recommend www.abe.com. They draw their catalog from hundreds of used bookstores all over the US. If you can't find it there, it can't be found

Comment

The newbie guide has been updated into more of a "FAQ" style post now. Hope it helps guys/gals!!!

Comment

Bumped...

I have changed this list to reflect the author's preferred order (based on the WW editions). I added some books at the end that I think you should read as well.

Comment

Wow, isn't that a lot of books?
                      Dear Dlackey,

that isn't all yet by far!
                      You've left out:

The Brothel in Rosenstrasse
                      The Golden Barge
                      Gloriana
                      Mother London
                      King of the City
                      Behold the Man
                      The Pyat Series 1-3 (Nآ°4 is to follow shortly, I understand)

All of them important books of Moorcock's and also possible "entries" to his world.
                      I find they should definitely be listed way up in the first list. The might seem "non-affiliated" with the other cycles, but certain familiar characters and incarnations also show up in most of these. They have also been reviewed very well in serious papers like "Guardian" or have received awards like the "WORLD FANTASY AWARD" - and therefore shouldn't be missed.
                      Thanks,
                      L'E
                      Google ergo sum

Comment

I left them out on purpose. I was trying to focus on the fantasy/sci-fi books, and the books you listed are all more serious liteary endeavors. Great books all, and highly recommended, but they don't quite fit in with the spirit of what I was tryinig to do.

Thanks for the suggestion though!!!

Comment

I left them out on purpose. I was trying to focus on the fantasy/sci-fi books, and the books you listed are all more serious literary endeavors. Great books all, and highly recommended, but they don't quite fit in with the spirit of what I was tryinig to do.

You're welcome.

However - maybe there are "newbies" out there who come along just that path - that of more "serious literary endeavor"?
                          Google ergo sum

Comment

I'm hoping someone will start a thread that leans toward what LE was suggesting. I haven't got the time for it. And since no one really contributed to this thread, it felt like there was a community concensus. That is why I made the "Reading List" link to this thread. If another one is created, I can snap a quick page out to inform people of the alternate threads. Perhaps we could have themed lists.

:idea: hint hint :idea:
                            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by LEtranger
                              I left them out on purpose. I was trying to focus on the fantasy/sci-fi books, and the books you listed are all more serious literary endeavors. Great books all, and highly recommended, but they don't quite fit in with the spirit of what I was tryinig to do.

You're welcome.

However - maybe there are "newbies" out there who come along just that path - that of more "serious literary endeavor"?
                              I'm not disputing that. I switch between both myself- ER Burroughs one day, William S Burroughs the next. But Mr. M clearly distinguishes between his literary novels and his fantasy novels- just look at the front of King of the City and see the "other books by this author" list. Other than Jerry Cornelius, there is nary a hint of his Eternal Champion books.

I agree with Berry- there should be other themed lists. I'm more into the EC stuff than than the literary novels that he has written (although I do like them, especially King of the City), so that is where more of my focus goes. When I finally have some time to get into the Moorcockopedia, I'm going to have to get others to help me with the literary novels, because there are others with a far greater knowledge of them than myself. I know a lot about the Multiverse (although Carter vastly exceeds my knowledge of the 2nd ether), but I can barely remember Mother London.

Comment

Working...
                              X