Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Von Beck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Von Beck

8O :? this is a very thoughtful work it twists religion and romance into a fine novel please read and tell me what your vision is so i may compare[/b][/i][/u][/quote][/code]

Of course it's beautiful. Warhound is clearly the best in the series, especially in their originally versions. (Although MM did some re-writing on The City in the Autumn Stars for the omnibus editions, as I remember, which tightened up the story considerably.)

For me the whole idea of the world's pain is an intriguing idea, especially since Lucifer is forced to reconcile it without any guidance. One of the things I like about most of MM's work is that he encourages you to re-think many of the things you take for granted--in terms of both literature and life.

Of course, the Von Beks becomes even more important in some of Mike's later work.

Comment

Warhound and the World's Pain was actually the very first Moorcock book that I read; I liked the Rowena cover I saw in the SF Book club newsletter and it sounded interesting, so I picked it up. Then I realized that all throughout high school someone had recommened Moorcock's Elric saga over the constant LOTR that everyone seemed to like.

Warhound blew me away, and ever since then I was hooked!

I didn't like City in the Autumn Stars as much, since it read more like a historical novel instead of something mystical. Later one when I picked up the WW Omnibus, I enjoyed the Pleasure Gardens... very much.

Yes, the Von Bek's and their relatives are everywhere in Mike's work.

One day someone might get around to putting together a family tree (3 or 4 dimensional, of course ;) just to try and make some sense of who everyone is and where they all come from. But Warhound is still ,y favorite.

Jeff

Comment

The family tree would be more confusing than the Cornelius one (although Dee did a good job of mapping that one), especially if you include the variations of Von Beck to account for characters like Rosie Beck.

I'm with you, Jeff. The City in the Autumn Stars seemed to be too much like a history. Mike seemed to be working against one of his most important strengths--evocation instead of massive detail.

Comment

Von Bek was my first as well, I think it's wonderful. Especially evocative for me is the scenes in the house in 'Warhound..', where he first meets with Lucifer. Just strange and sensuous and wonderful... Oh, it's been a long time now, but I do remember the first lines of that story being the thing that gripped me, whetting my appetite for more... :D

Comment

Coming from a Catholic household I thought Warhound was a very intersting slant on Lucifer. Unfortunately, I don't remember too much of this one.

Actually, having found this site, I realize that it's been far too long since I've read most of MrM's books at all. After so many moves I've lost most of what I had (and I've owned most of what was published) so I guess it's time to start rebuilding the collection. Sigh. All I have with me now are The Ice Schooner and the last three Corum books.

Comment

I'm with you on that scene, MissD. The feeling of it sticks with me, even though I don't remember its details off the top of my head.

That Catholic upbringing probably gives you a really interesting point of view on this one, MrE. MM's Lucifer is a little different than the Catholic one (or Milton's or...)

Too bad about losing your collection with your moves. I can assure you that you'll find most of his stuff second-hand in Austin (I'm there, too), especially the paperback editions.

If you're into hardbacks, BookPeople has a few signed copies of some of Mike's work in the local authors section, and Curio Corner books on Burnet has a few rare copies of Mike's stuff, including a signed copy of the Herbert Jenkins Stormbringer. Even better is the big Half Price Books on Lamar. One of the buyers there is a friend of Mike's, and has several signed copies of his recent work. The White Wolf omnibus editions often show up at Half Price Books, too.

Now that I've fractured this thread as spokesperson for the Austin Chamber of Commerce... :oops: :)

Comment

Working...
              X