Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Really confused please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really confused please help

OK dont be mad, any of you...please
    Never read any MM until last week when I unearthed Nomad of the Time Streams in my attic. Obviously it's fantastic, so went onto amazon and bought Von Beck expecting it to be the first in the Eternal Champ series. Rummaging around the net, find this site and come across many different suggested orders.
    Uhh.....help?

Welcome, Samdad, and I'm glad you found MM's work.

DL put together a pretty thorough listing of the various EC novels, including the different omnibus volumes. It's the first thread (on a sticky) on this section of the forum. It will probably help you a great deal. (Thanks again, DL!)

For what it's worth, Von Bek is the first of the British omnibus editions, in the US editions it is second, preceeded by The Eternal Champion.

Others may disagree, but my advice is to read what you can find, in any order, and enjoy. You'll find that you'll make sense of the cycle without a need for structuring, because the EC doesn't have a linear experience.

More importantly, don't limit yourself to MM's work with the EC cycle. Try some of his other work--it won't disappoint.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
      Others may disagree, but my advice is to read what you can find, in any order, and enjoy. You'll find that you'll make sense of the cycle without a need for structuring, because the EC doesn't have a linear experience.
      I agree completely. You have to "smoke 'em if you've got 'em", as they say, and work with what you have. I started with The Ice Schooner, moved on to the End of Time and Bastable books, and have branched out from there... I'm nowhere near even the halfway mark, but as we wannabe-Taoists say: It isn't the destination that's important, it's the journey!

Not all of us can find every book, and we can't all wait until we've got them in the right order to begin reading. Perhaps you won't ever attain the highest state of Moorcock-consciousness, but you will get to read some mighty fine stories, and isn't that the point? :D
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I picked up about 2 thirds of the white paperback omnibus collection when I was in the UK - though I missed out on Jerry Cornelius, The Ice Schooner, Von Bek and The end of Time collection.

That said, I have the 'classics' - the two Elric omnibuses, the Corum's, Hawkmoon, Count Brass, The Earl Aubec Collection and a few others.

Trying to track down the rest (in the US) is a bloody nightmare - I tried to see if I could get hold of a copy of the Kane stories on ebay - only to discover the only bugger selling one wanted $85 for an out of print hardcover resissue.

B*stards
        Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Working...
        X