Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

My disorganized collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My disorganized collection

Ever since I got some new bookshelves I've been trying to get my MM collection in order, but there's so much stuff. Only today I found a Condition Of Muzak hardback that I couldn't remember if I still had or not. I think there's more items I've still to turn up stashed away somewhere. Does anyone else have this problem? Oh well. More stuff for the Image Gallery!
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

I have the same problem. I bought a bookcase specifically for my Moorcock collection; it's now stuffed full and they are piling up on the floor again!

Comment

I've often bought used copies of some of MM's work (and others, of course), only to discover a copy sitting on my shelf.

I'm at my worst when I (nearly) feel compelled to by an extra copy of a particular edition, simply because I see it in a second-hand shop. For instance, I saw a copy of Casablanca the other day for next to nothing and almost bought it, despite the bright, once- or twice-read copy sitting on one of my shelves at home.

Comment

Re: My disorganized collection

Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
        Ever since I got some new bookshelves I've been trying to get my MM collection in order, but there's so much stuff.
        New bookshelves! I have wet dreams about new bookshelves.

Comment

More worrying is the re-reading cycle. I find myself sitting down to, say, the Cornelius books, then thinking "mmm, better go and check out Stealer of Souls again", then "That's Elric done, now I haven't tried Corum for a while", and before you know it, I've been through all the S&S books, the End of Time, Pyat, and the one-offs. In the meantime, the US has invaded 23 assorted threats to freedom as we know and love it, my cat's run off with the milkman, and my wife has scratched my entire Hawkwind collection (except, obviously, the copy of Space Ritual that's been on repeat on the turntable all this time).

Dammit, when I was a younger person, I was very into James Joyce. The books were longer, but at least he was less prolific. Kafka would have been a good bet as well. Come to think of it, any of the consumptives are excellent for completists, as their entire oeuvre would usually fit in a lightweight travelling bag. I can't even be bothered to move house nowadays, as the Moorcock & Hawkwind collections combined make it prohibitively expensive. Bah!
          \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Working...
          X