Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Von Bek and Oona don't have all Elric's problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Von Bek and Oona don't have all Elric's problems

Why don't Ulric von Bek and Oona suffer from Elric's health problems (the light sensitivity and weakness)? If they're both albino, they should have those problems too, right?

:mrgreen: i guess that i never had thought about that . my guess is that because they are associated with the grail that in protecting it the grail also protects them. my philosify only but an educated guess anyway!

Comment

I would posit it due to the mixed heritage, as well as the fact of the miracle of modern medicine; in Elric's AGE, albinoism is rarer, less understood, etc.

Whereas, in the more modern world, albinoism is a known condition which can be treated with more than just magical herbs and a soul-sucking sword. Treatment since birth (whereas Elric was probably left on the floor expected to die shortly after his birth, until someone noticed that he yet lived ;) Ah, the old ages.

Just a thought.

Jeff

Comment

Could be that Albinoism is more of a deficiency in the Melniboneans, than in humans.

Comment

I tend to agree with runequester. After all, how many of us really know the intricacies of Melnibonean physiology?

Of course, that is a rhetorical question if Dr. Jest is reading this...

Comment

I read on Wikipedia that Elric's health conditions are exagerated, so that could be the reason. Also, as we learn in "Elric of Melnibone," inbreeding is common among Melniboneans. Elric has a relationship with his cousin Cymoril an example, and at one point Yyrkoon tells Elric that he may take Cymoril for his own, saying that it isn't unheard of. So, Elric could just be a product of inbreeding.

Comment

Ahh!...if elric is inbred i'd say he got off lucky. He could have been born with brain damage or something. Then again that would explain yykroon...

Comment

T'was a while since I last read it, but wasn't Elric able to control his Albino-related weaknesses using drugs during his "no stormbringer" period? Implying albinoism, though not a well known condition, was treatable by the well educated if they could be bothered to work out how.
                If so, is it not reasonable that other similarly related ECs would have access to similar means from their own realities, be that medical / technical / mystical / spiritual or whatever.

Comment

Working...
                X