Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Trilogy of the Swords foreword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trilogy of the Swords foreword

Hi, sorry if this question doesn´t go here, I apologize beforehand since I´ve been a lot of time in the forums without finding what could be the right spot to place it.

I bought recently a spanish translation of the Trilogy of the Swords of Corum, and it´s amazing, Corum has become my favorite champion.

Now, the version I bought doesn´t have the typical foreword by Moorcock like the u.s volumes I usually buy, and I was wondering if there´s a way to read it (the english foreword, not a translation) since I really really LOVE them as much as the novels.

Originally posted by chrchaves View Post
    Hi, sorry if this question doesn´t go here, I apologize beforehand since I´ve been a lot of time in the forums without finding what could be the right spot to place it.
    Ha! you're not the only one, believe me! I never know where to put anything... when in doubt, but it in a book section somewhere and hope for the best... and then wait for a mod to fix it!

But sorry, I can't help with your enquiry.
    forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
    2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
    3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Your best bet might be to check out Amazon's 'Look Inside' feature for the Fantasy Masterworks edition of Corum: The Prince in the Scarlet Robe, which has a preview of the Swords Trilogy Introduction available (click 'First Pages').
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Mike's Introduction doesn't show up there, as far as I can see. I have a rough spare of this edition and can scan the intro tomorrow, unless anyone beats me it

This is the same intro as the US/UK omnibus editions, by the way.
        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Oh, you mean this? (from the UK Orion Corum omnibus)

Sorry; chrchaves's mention of The Swords Trilogy (which has never had a foreword afaik) threw me. Presumably he/she was also referring to the White Wolf 'u.s. volumes' rather than generic US omnibuses in general?

I'm afraid I find the Corum foreword a little 'lacklustre' compared to some of the forewords that appear in the other Orion omnibuses (see here). Perhaps the WW Corum: The Coming of Chaos omnibus is better?
          Last edited by David Mosley; 10-01-2012, 04:44 PM.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Seems the name "Captain Quelch" may have some origin in this doc.
            Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

I personally love these "forewords" as well. Thanks for sharing this David!
              "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
              "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                I'm afraid I find the Corum foreword a little 'lacklustre' compared to some of the forewords that appear in the other Orion omnibuses (see here). Perhaps the WW Corum: The Coming of Chaos omnibus is better?
                They're all the same
                'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Working...
                X