Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Your Top 5 Moorcock books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kymba334 View Post
    I'm noticing that a lot of the posts here are for more than the given limit of five tomes but that is just an observation...to complain would be be too pedantic,even for me.
    Yes, I'm prepared to cut them some slack... although i doubt the cosmic balance will be soooo forgiving!
    forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
    2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
    3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Well, as a recent reader ( except for Elric Of Melniboné read a few years ago ), I have read some of his books in a row, basically omnibuses. I will mention my favorites so far.

- Warlord of the Air ( perhaps one of the best books ever written )
      - Elric Of Melniboné
      - The Queen Of The Swords ( this is incredible, how Mike mixes thermodynamics, chaos, law, order, multiverses, political content- those Mabden look much like the worst of our race - dark fantasy all at once )
      - The Sword Of The Dawn . My favorite of the Runestaff series, quite imaginative, some of bits of piracy- a personal favorite theme.

Yes, Only 4. I still have to finish the Swords of Corum omnibus, Von Bek and the first Elric Omnibus and the Kane of mars trilogy.
      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Hello all, been lurking off and on as life has got very busy...this poll is irresistible. I suspect my choices are mostly of the 'write a book in 3 days' variety, but I love them!

1. Hawkmoon omnibus - 1st Moorcock I read and I was hooked
        2. Elric - if I have to choose one from the series, it's Stormbringer
        3. Corum omnibus - complete in itself
        4. The Warhound and the World's Pain - gave me a new perspective on reading history, this type of visceral setting is not normally taught at school
        5. Behold the man - what a great idea!

Many books I havn't read yet - I see Gloriana and Mother London making repeat appearances on others' lists, so the selection may change after I've had a chance to dive into these.

Comment

1 - Von Bek (collected volume as both Warhound and the World's Pain and The City in the Autumn Stars have probably had more influence on me than anything I've ever had the pleasure to bump into since (aside from Elfquest, perhaps! )

2 - Corum (first series) - a fantasy novel set in an ancient, long forgotten Cornwall? Well, how could I not love that!

3 - Dancers at the End of Time - one of the greatest love-stories I've ever read.

4 - The Fortress of the Pearl - it's hard to explain this one, other than simply being my favourite Elric tale.

5 - Behold the Man - I swore for years for reasons I've since forgotten that I'd never read this one, but I'm demm glad now that I did! A thoroughly bizarre and brilliant tale and yet more proof that all chrononauts should undergo a thorough psych-evaluation before being allowed to travel!
          Amid Chaos, Order arises; but even in Order there is Chaos.

Understands now that Corum did have a happy ending after all!

Comment

This is harder than I expected. Favourites, as opposed to "I think the best 5 are"...

1 The Stealer Of Souls
            2 The End Of All Songs
            3 The City In The Autumn Stars
            4 Moorcock's Book Of Martyrs
            5 A Cure For Cancer

Comment

I love these sorts of lists, even though I always feel my answer is inadequately thought out. So a top five in some loose order:

Sailor on the Seas of Fate (well, the whole damn Elric saga to be honest)

Warlord of the Air (though I'd hardly want to slight the Land Leviathan or the Steel Tsar)

The Ice Schooner

Behold the Man (this is one to recommend to people who don't read spec-fic, but should)

The Eternal Champion

There's so much more to love, but that's my inadequately thought-out reply.
              Dave Hardy
              http://fireandsword.blogspot.com/

My books: Crazy Greta, Tales of Phalerus the Achaean, and Palmetto Empire.

sigpic

Comment

Well, as an adult Gloriann and King of the City are my favorites. As a child the Elric saga blew my mind and so I'd have to vote for the first and last (chronologically) ie. Elric of Melnibone and Stormbringer. For my fifth I just finished The Warlord of the Air and loved it. I'm working on Land Leviathan now. I'm pretty sure all of those ace out the Corum, Hawkmoon and Jerry Cornelius books that I've read. I really wish I had a copy of Mother London.

Comment

The Stealer of Souls
                  Stormbringer
                  The City in the Autumn Stars
                  A Cure for Cancer
                  The White Wolf's Son

Comment

Gloriana
                    Behold The Man
                    The Final Programme
                    The Warhound and the World's Pain
                    Stormbringer

Comment

In no particular order...

A Cure For Cancer
                      Stormbringer
                      The Chinese Agent
                      Warlord Of The Air
                      The Dreamthief's Daughter
                      "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
                      'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

I haven't read much MM in years but am returning and back on the board looking for new thrills. Here's my 'previously'

1. The Retreat from Liberty

Perhaps a bit rare? Not sure. It's a non-fiction 'short' and it's top because I read it during Thatcher's 'exit' and marvelled at how MM had nailed her 'live' so to speak back in '83.

2. The Brothel in Rosenstrasse.

I didn't read any of the other Von Beks back in the day but this was sublime as a standalone. I once listened to Mike reading from 'City in the Autumn Stars' in Bath just before his Texan exit and would have bought it if the shop had stocked it! As it is, that's a delight still to look forward to, based on what I heard.

3. Behold The Man

First read when I was 9 as a Marvel Comics adaptation, then as the short story and finally as the novel, this is just a masterpiece in any form and cleared any religious training before it stuck for which I will always be grateful while also inculcating an ongoing interest in religions.

4. A Cure for Cancer

My first Moorcock book following the Marvel comic and encountered quite at random in a bookshop in Dun Laighoire while I was bored on a parental caravan holiday nearby in Shankill.
                        COMPLETELY blew my teenage head off.
                        In 2003, having believed Derry and Toms to be fictional, I and a randomly-met Albanian girl to whom I'd been showing Kensington Palace, found the roof gardens (then in Richard Branson's hands) and were allowed to go up alone where a certain opening scene was re-enacted (not that my companion had read it). This one is pretty special.

Comment

Might I remind/invite everyone to vote for their favourite - and not so favourite - Moorcock books (fiction & non-fiction) in The Moorcock Chalice 2014 'greatest Moorcock book' poll? There's about a week and a half left to get all your scores in if you want to help affect the outcome.
                          The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

I need to work Blood: A Southern Fantasy into my list. Aside from an intriguing concept, I had quite a few "Hey, I know that place!" reactions while reading.

Comment

I spent some time counting the votes in this old thread. If my calculations are right, here is the list of most favored MM books by members of this site back in 2012-14. The opinions are surprisingly diverse, but a few titles stand out. I wonder how the poll would look today.

9 votes:
                              Behold the Man (1969)

6 votes:
                              The War Hound and the World's Pain (1981)

5 votes:
                              Stormbringer (1965)
                              A Cure for Cancer (1971)
                              Gloriana, or, The Unfulfill'd Queen (1978)
                              The Dancers at the End of Time (1981)

4 votes:
                              The Warlord of the Air (1971)
                              The Cornelius Chronicles (1977) / The Cornelius Quartet (1993)

3 votes:
                              The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (1976)
                              The City in the Autumn Stars (1986)
                              Mother London (1988)
                              The Nomad of Time (1982) / Oswald Bastable (1992) / A Nomad of the Time Streams (1993)
                              Into the Media Web: Selected Short Non-Fiction, 1956-2006 (2010)

2 votes:
                              The Stealer of Souls (1963)
                              The LSD Dossier (1965)
                              Elric of Melnibone (1969)
                              The Chinese Agent (1970)
                              The Chronicles of Corum (1978)
                              Byzantium Endures (1981)
                              Letters from Hollywood (1986)
                              The Fortress of the Pearl (1989)
                              Interview: Death Is No Obstacle (1992)
                              King of the City (2000)
                              Pyat Quartet / Between the Wars (1981–2006)

1 vote:
                              The Jewel in the Skull (1967)
                              The Wrecks of Time (1967) / The Rituals of Infinity (1971)
                              The Sword of the Dawn (1968)
                              The Final Programme (1968)
                              The Ice Schooner (1969)
                              The Eternal Champion (1970)
                              Phoenix in Obsidian (1970) / The Silver Warriors (1973)
                              The Sleeping Sorceress (1971)
                              The Queen of the Swords (1971)
                              The English Assassin (1972)
                              Breakfast in the Ruins (1972)
                              The History of the Runestaff (1974) / Hawkmoon (1992)
                              The End of All Songs (1976)
                              Moorcock's Book of Martyrs (1976)
                              The Weird of the White Wolf (1977)
                              The Brothel in Rosenstrasse (1982)
                              The Retreat from Liberty: The Erosion of Democracy in Today's Britain (1983)
                              The Revenge of the Rose (1991)
                              Blood: A Southern Fantasy (1995)
                              Earl Aubec (1999)
                              Silverheart (2000)
                              The Dreamthief's Daughter (2001)
                              The White Wolf's Son (2005)
                              The Best of Michael Moorcock (2009)
                              London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction (2012)

Comment

So if one were to translate this to the recent MM Collection volumes the consensus top 5 list of most popular books (again: in 2012-14) would look something like this I suppose?

1. Behold the Man.
                                2. Von Bek: The War Hound and the World's Pain, The City in the Autumn Stars.
                                3. The Cornelius Quartet: The Final Programme, A Cure for Cancer, The English Assassin, The Condition of Muzak.
                                4. The Nomad of Time: The Warlord of the Air, The Land Leviathan, The Steel Tsar.
                                5. The Dancers at the End of Time: An Alien Heat, The Hollow Lands, The End of all Songs.

Comment

Working...
                                X