Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Elric Saga - synopsis and review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Elric Saga - synopsis and review

While this could have gone in the outsider reviews thread, there's just too much work for that IMHO, plus a lot of synopsis (so no peaking if you haven't read the whole shebang yet!), so here it is in its own thread.

http://www.swordandsorcery.org/elric-saga.asp
    by S. C. Bryce

Interesting interpretaion in the synopsis for Elric at the End of Time (or is it misinterpretaion?)

You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

A bit of a slip there indeed Guv: just cos there's time machines, doesn't mean Una or Bastible will be round for tea any time soon. Though I bet they've dropped in at one time or another. If not, its time they did. Can I use 'time' just one more time? Apparently so!

It is in an S&S website, so no surprise that the author rather preferred the "more traditional" stuff (said he fully ware that Elric was rather intentionally non-traditional the first time round!) Mind you, with the exception of the Revenge of the Rose - my fav Elric novel - so did I!

Comment

Another mistake in the article is the following, cited in reference to 'Elric at the End of Time':

According to Moorcock’s introduction, this tale was written contemporaneously with the other Elric stories and was created before Stormbringer...
        Now, unless I'm very much mistaken,* that actually refers to 'The Last Enchantment'.

I would say that S. C. Bryce has certainly misconstrued (or perhaps, to be generous, conflated) the Dancers at the End of Time with the League of Temporal Adventurers due to the presence of Una Persson at the End of Time. With the exception of Lord Jagged none of the Dancers are particularly interested in time travel, are they?

*'Sokay, I'm not.
        Last edited by David Mosley; 07-27-2010, 12:40 PM.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I think you're right about the conflation David. Bastable turns up in TEoaS but I don't think he's in EatEoT. And the Dancer's interest in time travel was no more than a passing fad following Jherek's second trip to 1896, with the exception of Morphail, that is.
          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Working...
          X