Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Misguided Moorcockisms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misguided Moorcockisms

A few years ago, some guy I met was showing off his collection of swords and knives. He eventually showed his favorite one, which he informed me was named "Stormbringer."

I jokingly replied, "Thank you, Elric!" :)

He didn't get the joke. When I informed him of the reference that I had made, he assured me that "Stormbringer" was, in fact, the name of a famous sword from "some aincent mythology."

I've come to believe that Michael Moorcock is by far one of the most influential authors in the history of pseudo pop culture. The only problem, is that so many people seem to give credit to other sources, such as "ancient mythology," etc.

Another example would be a guy I met with a tattoo of the sign of chaos on his forearm. When I asked him if he was a Moorcock fan, he replied that he was unfamilliar with the author, and that the symbol was "older than time itself."

Does anyone else have any more examples of this phenominon?

~JS...

It is certainly disheartening to hear of such ignorance. However, I suspect that with the release of the Elric film, things should be set to change. :)
    Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

It's hard to say. When I saw Fellowship of the Ring, I overheard the following conversation:

Person 1) "Hey, I heard someone wrote a book about this movie."

Person 2) "Yeah, I heard they already wrote the book for the second and third movies too!"

Person 1) "That's stupid. Now there's no reason to see the next movies! They should have waited to sell them if they wanted to make more money."

Never underestimate the power of widespread ignorance. :roll:

~JS...

Comment

OK, then. Let me re-phrase that... I HOPE things will change :D
        Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

JS

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy who bought the sword got his "info" from the seller, and bought it.
          Same with the tattoo. Saw the design, liked it, and got the "story" behind the design from the inker.
          Embellishment is a salesperson's best friend. I know. I've done it, but not to that degree!
          If the patron walks away happy and the money's in the drawer...I guess it's all good. :lol:

Buyer beware.

TL

Comment

Re: Misguided Moorcockisms

Originally posted by JasonStarfire
            A few years ago, some guy I met was showing off his collection of swords and knives. He eventually showed his favorite one, which he informed me was named "Stormbringer."

I jokingly replied, "Thank you, Elric!" :)

He didn't get the joke. When I informed him of the reference that I had made, he assured me that "Stormbringer" was, in fact, the name of a famous sword from "some aincent mythology."

I've come to believe that Michael Moorcock is by far one of the most influential authors in the history of pseudo pop culture. The only problem, is that so many people seem to give credit to other sources, such as "ancient mythology," etc.

Another example would be a guy I met with a tattoo of the sign of chaos on his forearm. When I asked him if he was a Moorcock fan, he replied that he was unfamilliar with the author, and that the symbol was "older than time itself."

Does anyone else have any more examples of this phenominon?

~JS...
            Mike has mentioned some hippies running a head shop called Elric's Palace.

I don't mind mentioning that one of the main reasons I run this website is to expand people's factual knowledge. That makes the various mistakes I've made along the way all the more irksome. Mike has mentioned to me that he plans, when the time is available, to write a better author bio.
            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

There was a trashy home makeover program on last week where the designers did over a teenage guitarists bedroom, and those radiating arrows were there as an influence - it seems to have slipped into the vernacular like the Anarchy A - which was of course obviously invented by the Sex Pistols.

I read today that Afghanistan stood on the brink of anarchy - do they mean that the populus are ready to take responsibility for their actions and act accordingly? I think not!

Comment

My favourite graffiti "tag" (which I've seen in several rundown areas around my town) is the anarchy symbol accompanied by the hammer and sickle. I'm not quite sure what they were trying to convey, but I felt it was rather a mixed message. :?

D...
                "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Some of my friends and I used to tag names of Old Ones from the Cthulhu mythos. Yes, friends, this is what happens when you combine teenage idiocy with back issues of Wierd Tales. :D

~JS...

Comment

On the topic of Chaos Symbol tattoos... I saw a trailer for the upcoming movie Without a Paddle which shows this big hillbilly with a massive Chaos symbol tat on his left arm. The character doesn't even look like he can read. :?
                    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Working...
                    X