Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Maps in the Hawkmoon Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Maps in the Hawkmoon Stories

I've been plodding along on my Grand Re-reading of the Tale of the Eternal Champion. While re-reading the Hawkmoon books, I noticed something about the map of Europe at the beginning. In the Millennium paperback version (1992) that I'm reading, the map is entitled: The World of Dorian Hawkmoon. However, in the White Wolf Hardcover (1995) edition, the map bears the title: The World of the Dark Empire. The latter version is credited to James Cawthorn (1994).

OK, finally to the question: Is my recollection from the DAW editions (1977 or a 1985 reprint) that the map was titled The Realm of the Runestaff correct? I read these books for the first time in 1986, so my memory is not clear.

Was there some copyright issue that necessitated changing the legend? Thanks!

You're right that it was the Realm of the Runestaff, TMP, by our very own Beezus.

Don't know why it was retitled, though. Maybe John/Beezus might know, or even John Davey, who was involved with the Millenium and White Wolf reprints.
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Well as best I remember it- I went with The Realm of the Runestaff because I liked the alliteration. And it was about the influence of the Runestaff on those parts of the world known in what remained of Europe.

I have always deferred to the late great Jim Cawthorn on map matters-working on the principle that he was much closer to Michael, so probably had more insight into these things than I. I've never seen the other versions so I really can't answer. Perhaps John Davey will come up with a better answer.

I can say that at the time I was probably more interested in the Runestaff than the character of Dorian Hawkmoon. I've always enjoyed the mystery of the object.

Comment

Gov and Beezus: Many thanks!

I finished re-reading Hawkmoon today, just beginning to tuck into Corum.

Comment

Thanks for posting the map link. I love maps and think that all fantasy books should contain them!
          Marv (Finarvyn)
          Eternal Champion fan since the 1970's
          Discovered D&D in 1975

Comment

Working...
          X