Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Origins of Corum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origins of Corum?

Currently reading and hugely enjoying the last Corum Trilogy.

Anyone know why Mike wrote this trilogy? What inspired it - fitting Irish legend with the Eternal Champion, or fitting the EC to the myth?

Des
    Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Probably just seemed like a good idea to him at the time Des!
    I loved that trilogy as well especially Oak and the Ram.
    Im currently still in the process of being re-blown away by old Maxim Arturovich Pyatnitski!!
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
      Anyone know why Mike wrote this trilogy? What inspired it - fitting Irish legend with the Eternal Champion, or fitting the EC to the myth?
      For the money (to support New Worlds) most probably.

Or, you could, you know, always ask the author.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post

I could be wrong (I no longer have a copy), but I seem to recall The Quest For Tanelorn, or possibly another book in the Count Brass trilogy having a dedication by Mike along the lines of "To my creditors, who remain a constant source of inspiration."

Comment

I don't want to piss him off by asking an asinine question he's been asked a 1000 times before about something he can barely remember banging together in a couple of days and HE thinks is crap, although a lot of other people KNOW it's actually quite well written and shows a wealth of incredible imagination.....however.... [trogs off to Q&A]

Des

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

I don't want to piss him off by asking an asinine question he's been asked a 1000 times before about something he can barely remember banging together in a couple of days and HE thinks is crap, although a lot of other people KNOW it's actually quite well written and shows a wealth of incredible imagination.....however.... [trogs off to Q&A]
            Does Mike think the Corum stories are crap? I know he hasn't got as high an opinion of the Hawkmoon/Runestaff books as some readers (on re-reading them I can see what he means) but I thought the only reason he hasn't churned out further Corum stories - despite quite a lot of people asking him to - was because he doesn't have any more stories to tell?

As for asking questions, I think Mike's on record as saying that although he may have been asked a question before, for the person asking it it's a new question so he always tries to provide an answer for them.

Of course, if you do find a question that's been asked 1000 times already we could always put it in the (still a WiP) FAQ.
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Well I asked and got a nicely informative answer. Thanks for moving this, btw (d'oh!!).

http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showthread.php?t=12372

Des

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

As for asking questions, I think Mike's on record as saying that although he may have been asked a question before, for the person asking it it's a new question so he always tries to provide an answer for them.

Of course, if you do find a question that's been asked 1000 times already we could always put it in the (still a WiP) FAQ.
                It was the first question I asked him in a fan letter, more importantly, he replied to my letter. I might still have it tucked away.

I found Corum, a much more interesting hero, after reading Hawkmoon, I found Elric a bit too doom laden in early teenage years. I was also a bit fan of Celtic myths and legends, more so than the the Classical legends, so the second trilogy was fantastic. Coupled with the Rodney Matthews poster and the Quartet covers.
                Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

My wife read the Hawkmoon books, which she enjoyed, and wanted to read some more Mike books (since I read them all the time), so I gave her Corum, and she says they are so much better than the Hawkmoon books in her opinion. She liked Hawkmoon, but feels (as many of us probbaly do) that the quality of Corum is so much better. But I don`t think Mike was on the ridiculously restrictive tiem constraints that he was when he churned out Hawkmoon. I agree, that the Corum books are some of Mike`s best books. Incredibly original, and well written.
                  "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                  --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Corum is by far my favourite EC!
                    Probably the most under-rated of Mikes stuff.
                    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

The only question I ever asked in the only fan letter I ever wrote - way way long ago - was about an apparent inconsistancy in Corwin's death(s) as recounted in one series and another and wondering if they would be resolved. ...'almost certainly not by me' was the gist of the response.

In the same response I also got the only writing advice I ever asked for. 'Read a lot, write a lot, and if you have any talent you will eventually publish.' It's still the only advice I value.

Forgotten why this came to mind but I guess it's vaguely related and I'll let it stand.
                      Considering it has taken 49 years to become 'not a complete ass,' I wonder if I shall ever become 'wise?'

Comment

missing crossover

this has bugged me for quite abit (ever since i got the comics then novels (elric/corum) and i'm now going to pester you lot with it
                        but does mike ever go back and re-read any of his books when the storylines merge?
                        because in the Elric novels, he meets Corum twice (Sailor on the Seas of Fate, The Vanishing Tower)
                        but Corum only meets Elric once!? (The Vanishing Tower) why was SotSoF skipped in the Corum novels? even if it was a dream on The Scarlet Robe's part, surely it would have been given a mention...

*bouncing in, stumbling out*

Comment

Heh, Corum's meeting with Elric onboard the Dark Ship is covered in To Rescue Tanelorn (more recently collected in the Millenium/Orion edition of Count Brass.

I recently re-read all of Corum and then skipped straight to the parts of Count Brass which were relevant and they make perfect sense

At least thats how I always picture it!
                          Amid Chaos, Order arises; but even in Order there is Chaos.

Understands now that Corum did have a happy ending after all!

Comment

Makes perfect sense, Max. You should know, you are one of our foremost experts on Corum.

Perhaps...

And myyrrhn, Mike claims to never re-read his work, so one would assume it holds true in this case. You could always post your question in the Q&A, though, Mike is always happy to answer any queries regarding his work or work practices.
                            You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

I wasn't sure if the Quest for Tanelorn had been revised as I read it in the late 70s. So I wasn't sure if the inconsistencies has been 'ironed out'.
                              Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Working...
                              X