Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The best Cornelius book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best Cornelius book?

As a Moorcock reader of thirty years standing, and a fan of the Cornelius books in general.....well perhaps "fan" isn't really a strong enough word....."utterly obsessed" is probably nearer the mark....where was I? Oh yes, as a long standing reader who has had to go through life apparently alone with my obsession, it was with some exitement that I came across this forum.

A whole forum dedicated to chatting about MM!!! At last i've found some soul-mates. :lol: And as you can imagine, i've got about a million questions....but i'm going to try not to babble and just start off with one.

What is your favourite Jerry Cornelius book? And why?

Gotta be the Condition of Muzak, for bringing all the themes and the previous 3 books together. I usually read all 4 together, starting at the Condition of Muzak, then breaking off to goto Final Programme, back into CoM, etc (almost as obsessed (and old ) as you, Shaky Mo).
    \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Hi Shaky!

I'd have to say Gold Diggers, if only because I was born on the Silver Jubilee so I've always had a slightly narcissistic interest in the celebrations that occurred on my b-day, and the punks' reactions to it. I think a lot of the discussions in the book are still very relevant today (perhaps more so) since we seem to have a lot of faux-punks running around, and a lot of people who like to draw anarchy symbols but can't be bothered looking the word up in an encyclopaedia! It also contains all of the conspiracy and counter-conspiracy we've come to expect from the Cornelius books... ooh, and as an added bonus, Mitzi actually gets a few decent lines here and there, rather than just being left to hold the dildo. Good girl.

Also, you could argue your namesake was the "star" of the book! :)

D...
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

DeeCrowSeer wrote:
        I'd have to say Gold Diggers, if only because I was born on the Silver Jubilee so I've always had a slightly narcissistic interest in the celebrations that occurred on my b-day, and the punks' reactions to it.
        Aaawww! Now that makes me feel old, especially since I bought the Virgin paperbacks "Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle" (as it was then) when fresh off the press :oops: .

More interesting, DCS, was the wedding of the millennium which took place when you probably had white socks and shorts on - given all the hagiography that's gone on since 1997, it's instructive to think back to reactions to the wedding of big ears and the walking tapeworm :D .

This does not get you any further, though, Shakey Mo. Read the lot (in order of publication), that's the answer!
        \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

I feel old too, I have the newspaper edition of Great Rock and Roll Swindle... I bought it from Virgin Records in Birmingham in the early 80s. They had a whole stack of them, should have bought em all.

My favourite Cornelius depends on my mood - Final Programme is like straight(ish) sf adventure, Cure For Cancer is quite weird and I like it a lot, English Assassin I sometimes take a while to get into. Overall I'd say probably Condition of Muzak for the reasons mentioned by zakt.
          'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Working...
          X