Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Brief sypnoses needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brief sypnoses needed

I've found the following online:

The Shores of Death
    The Winds of Limbo
    The Time Dweller
    The Rituals of Infinity
    The Black Corridor

Could anyone tell me a little about them?

They're all science fiction novels apart from The Time Dweller which is an sf short story collection. All the short stories appear in the omnibus Earl Aubec and all the sf appear (in US) in the White Wolf omnibuses --
    The Roads Between the Worlds (possibly also Sailing to Utopia). I don't have the books handy and my memory's a bit faulty. Maybe someone else can be a bit more specific and say what the books are about ?

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

The one of them that's clearest in my mind is The Black Corridor which intrigued me so much that I seriously toyed with the thought of turning it into a stage play for a small theatre some years back. However, it's still some 10-15 years since I last read it, so take these -- um, what's the word -- oh, yes, Memories! of it cum granis salis...

In a world of social and political upheaval, some people flee the chaos of the Earth in a space ship. The scenes change back and forth between the apocalypse left behind, and scenes in the space ship where captain Ryan alone is awake, the other travellers suspended in sleep until the Utopian goal of a new planet is reached. The loneliness and traumas of Ryan makes him slowly decend into hallucinations and maybe a madness not unrelated to the world he left behind.

Not so surprisingly, since the scenes in the spaceship were told from Ryan's perspective, when I read it I was sometimes in doubt about where reality stopped and the hallucinations began.

(I later read somewhere that MM's ex-wife, Hilary Bailey, actually had a hand in the writing of this novel; though I don't know if she came up with ideas or actually wrote chunks of it, or whatever.)
      "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

The Winds of Limbo (aka The Fireclown)

In a futuristic, under-glass, multi-story Switzerland, a cult led by "The Fireclown" gathers momentum in the lower levels. The government tries to suppress the cult, but Alan Powys, an aide and grandson to senior minister Simon Powys discovers that Simon and a number of his cronies have been involved in arms deals. and so on

The book seems to have inspired the Pink Floyd song "Set the controls for the Heart of the Sun" on the Saucerful of Secrets album.
        \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Hilary's contribution was the scenes at home on Earth. I rewrote it all, but I was responsible for the hallucinatory material.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Are all the books then stand-alones?

Comment

Yes, but all worth a read.

Excerpts from The Black Corridor are also featured on Hawkwind's Space Ritual lp if you have access to that.
              \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Originally posted by zakt

The book seems to have inspired the Pink Floyd song "Set the controls for the Heart of the Sun" on the Saucerful of Secrets album.
                And let's not forget that MM's lyrics for Blue أ–yster Cult's Veteran of the Psychic Wars *ahem* contains the line: "I've been living on the edge so long, where the Winds of Limbo roar..."

Not that that has anything to do with anything...

...carry on...
                "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by zakt View Post

In a futuristic, under-glass, multi-story Switzerland, a cult led by "The Fireclown" gathers momentum in the lower levels. The government tries to suppress the cult, but Alan Powys, an aide and grandson to senior minister Simon Powys discovers that Simon and a number of his cronies have been involved in arms deals. and so on

Just resurrecting this thread to mention that the latest issue of Mojo magazine, which has an article on Pink Floyd, mentions the inspiration of the title of Set The Controls as being Mike's book and even features a pic of the Compact edition of The Fireclown. Anyone know if this is true? I haven't read the book in many years....
                  'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Working...
                  X