Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Phonetics/pronunciations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phonetics/pronunciations

Is there any definitive guide regarding the phonetics or pronunciations (where the accents fall) of the names/places throughout the Multiverse? If not, can we start one (maybe a wiki)? I'd be happy to set up and host it.
    Last edited by michaelpaige; 02-13-2009, 11:05 AM.

No guide per se, but this post from David, and his quote of Mike's quote, might get somewhere there:

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
    Shazane, you might appreciate Mike's 'official' response to how to pronounce names and things in his books:

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    Yep. How do you prefer to pronounce Chichester, for instance ? Or, shall we say, Leghorn ? Or Peking ?
    While I have certain preferred pronunciations of my own, however you chose to pronounce the names is fine by me. Accents are usually there to function in ways normal to French or German, for instance, and that's about it. If you want to produce Yyrkoon Eerkoon or Yerkoon of Yrrrrkn or however is up to you and your ears. In a world where half the people pronounce Iran Eye Ran and the others pronounce it Ear Ran and the Iranians pronounce it slightly differently depending what part of their country they live in, it seems natural to me that you should pronounce a name according to your own taste. I am, after all, not describing reality here and there are not likely to be any Melniboneans turning up to complain you've hurt their feelings by not producing Hishgegrowinaaz right...
    That was originally posted in this thread.

See also this thread and this thread for more pronunciation queries.

Comment

I am curious to hear what kind of accent the Melniboneans have and what their pronounciations sound like in the movie.
      - Mike

http://www.FromBEYONDfilmfest.com

Comment

Buy the CD "Live Chronicles" by Hawkwind and hear MM himself speak the names!

Des
        Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

You can also hear Mike reading extracts from Elric of Melnibone in the Media Hive section of the site.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks for that Dave.
            I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to. Elvis Presley

Comment

Thank you all. That has most thoroughly answered my question.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelpaige View Post
                Is there any definitive guide regarding the phonetics or pronunciations (where the accents fall) of the names/places throughout the Multiverse? If not, can we start one (maybe a wiki)? I'd be happy to set up and host it.
                In response to the original question, there may be potential in writing an article for the Wikiverse (if any one wants to) bearing in mind Mike's caveat about definitive pronunciations. Guidelines for creating a Wikiverse account can be found in this thread.

Any question, feel free to start a new thread in the Wikiverse forum.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                  You can also hear Mike reading extracts from Elric of Melnibone in the Media Hive section of the site.
                  Thanks for that - saved me searching, or starting a new thread.

I've heard Melnibone pronounced a half dozen different ways - so nice to hear Mike's voice (for the first time), and his pronunciation.

Of course, I will still pronounce albino MY nasally American way...lol. But at least I've got Mel-ni-bon-eh right!

das

Comment

Originally posted by UncleDes View Post
                    Buy the CD "Live Chronicles" by Hawkwind and hear MM himself speak the names!

Des
                    I hear them with a western drawl...
                    It's because Mike always calls people Pard.

"Yessiree, Tanglebones. Hitch that there pris'ner up t`the rack and we'll make 'im squeel like a clakar. They don' call me Doc Jest fer nuthin!" (In the movie Doc Jest could be played by Ross Perot.)
                    "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                    --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

"The world is such-and-such or so-and-so only because we tell ourselves that that is the way it is. If we stop telling ourselves that the world is so-and-so, the world will stop being so-and-so." - don Juan

Comment

I usually find fantasy names/words hideous to try to pronounce. In fact I'm sure much of this silliness is why fantasy finds itself in the ghetto it's in, but I've always found that Mike's names make sense to me. I'm not saying that I necessary pronounce them 'correctly' or even if it is important to do so, but I don't have to stop myself mid-sentence and think: how the fuck is that meant to be said? I guess Lovecraft has to take much of the blame for all the Xzzylchekaleptoxcuttis abound in fantasy.
                        forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                        2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                        3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post
                          I guess Lovecraft has to take much of the blame for all the Xzzylchekaleptoxcuttis abound in fantasy.
                          Damn you. "He who is not to be named" was just named. Now we're all doomed. DOOMED I TELL YOU!!!
                          "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                          --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

I usually find fantasy names/words hideous to try to pronounce. In fact I'm sure much of this silliness is why fantasy finds itself in the ghetto it's in, but I've always found that Mike's names make sense to me. I'm not saying that I necessary pronounce them 'correctly' or even if it is important to do so, but I don't have to stop myself mid-sentence and think: how the fuck is that meant to be said? I guess Lovecraft has to take much of the blame for all the Xzzylchekaleptoxcuttis abound in fantasy.
                            Hi, TEA,

Am I understanding you correctly that naming conventions ought to be more similar to those used in the language the piece is written?
                            Ani Maamin B'emunah Sh'leimah B'viyat Hamashiach. V'af al pi sheyitmahmehah im kol zeh achake lo b'chol yom sheyavo.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Phillip K. Dick

Comment

Originally posted by Kyrinn S. Eis View Post
                              Hi, TEA,

Am I understanding you correctly that naming conventions ought to be more similar to those used in the language the piece is written?
                              Well not necessarily. I like evocative words, but more often than not fantasy names make me think: oh dear, oh dear oh dear...

I realise that there is a historical link between language-creation and fantasy lit., with Tolkien being the most famous example I should think, but I have to admit that make-believe languages have almost no interest for me. Although I imagine that there are many who enjoy that level of detail. But I wouldn't like to say there is a hard and fast rule as to what works for me and what doesn't. As I said as long as the fantasy word evokes something of otherness, then I'm there, but if it intrudes upon my reading then I'd sooner it was just Fred or Thrak or Runs-like-fox or...

Don't get me wrong, I love the naming of Lovecraft's mythology, but not many of his imitators get it right.

Originally posted by J-Sun View Post
                              I guess Lovecraft has to take much of the blame for all the Xzzylchekaleptoxcuttis abound in fantasy.
                              Damn you. "He who is not to be named" was just named. Now we're all doomed. DOOMED I TELL YOU!!!
                              Yes, apologies! I'm always inadvertently bringing about the end of the world like that...
                              forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                              2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                              3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Working...
                              X