Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

Alan Passed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Passed

We’ve lost Thingfish. He fought a long battle with grace and good cheer. Fair Winds Brother
    Last edited by Kevin McCabe; 01-26-2020, 10:37 AM.
    Kevin McCabe
    The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

This is very sad news! Alan will be deeply missed. He always had a great sense of humor and introduced me to music that has broadened my horizons. I raise a glass of scotch in your honor...rest in peace.
    "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
    'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

Yeah, very fucking sad news on this fucking Monday. You know when Neil Peart passed away or when Gene Wolfe passed away no matter how much I love their works and how much their words mean for me in terms of getting me sane it is never the same thing as losing a good pal. RIP Alan, a great musician and music connoisseur and always a positive and polite person.
      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

That's very sad news. I never knew him outside of the Miscellany, but he was always a very open and cheerful presence on here. RIP, pard

EDIT: I'd like to make a small donation in his memory - did he have any particular favourite causes, or is there a related research charity, hospice or whatever who could benefit?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Murphy View Post
          That's very sad news. I never knew him outside of the Miscellany, but he was always a very open and cheerful presence on here. RIP, pard

EDIT: I'd like to make a small donation in his memory - did he have any particular favourite causes, or is there a related research charity, hospice or whatever who could benefit?
          I can't remember which was the exactly pathology he has struggled against but I do remember he went on a delicate surgery once.
          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Just a lovely human being. A happy warrior for all he went through. RIP Alan.

Comment

Very sad to learn of Alan's passing. Just last week I was looking at those of us who have wandered back and was hoping we'd hear from him again. He will be missed.
              "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
              --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Murphy View Post

He was battling cancer and he did indeed put up a good fight. I found this article yesterday about him and his band who had recently performed a charity gig for him. I too only knew him within this realm, but I always enjoyed our chats and reading his posts and was hoping that those would have continued. It's all so very sad, he will be deeply missed.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news...cancer-battle/
                "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
                'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

Yes, I only knew him from here and then FB and Instagram. Bravado did some acoustic gigs on Instagram. Lovely stuff. He was always so upbeat, despite the long fight. I’ve missed his resounding “Welcome to the Weekend” on the “What are you listening to” ever since the Miscellany shut down. And, his just plain fun conversation
                  Kevin McCabe
                  The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Thanks for that, JoS. I've made a donation to Macmillan in Alan's memory

Comment

I am very sorry. Alan is in my memory from seeing him on this forum. He really stood out to me. Fond memories of him, always was happy to see his avatar. Loved reading what he had to say. RIP Alan.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

This is a very sad day , in the old Moorcock Inn Alan , Das , Sparrowhawk , Kat and the rest of us had so much fun and his sense of humour was infectious , I`m sorry I didn`t get the chance to speak to him again , I knew he was very ill but he never let his sickness stop him , he will be missed very much by all of us here . I`ll lift a quaich of Glenmorangie to you , Alan , may we meet in the vitrtual Moorcock Inn again .

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

Bugger!
                          Let me tell you a story 'bout a poor boy....

Comment

Oh no. I am very sad to hear this. RIP Alan.
                            "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                            X