Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Site Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site Members

I just noticed something I find rather strange...

As of this moment we have 569 members to the forum but only 243 of those members have actually posted. So more than half of the people who've signed up to the site are "ghosting" (not posting at all, just reading other posts). With all the activity on this site that is rather baffling. Could you imagine how busy this site would be if even half of those ghosts posted regularly?

Thanos

Another funny thing is that only 25 of us have posted above 100 posts. Which is really odd considering Mike and Von are nearing 1,000.

Thanos

Comment

Re: Site Members

Originally posted by ThanosShadowsage
      So more than half of the people who've signed up to the site are "ghosting" (not posting at all, just reading other posts).
      That's called "lurking".
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Bah, Ghosting... Lurking... you say Tomato, I say Yuck! ;p

Thanos

Comment

Wow, I guess I am nearing the 1000 mark. I have been real busy lately preparing to move back to Ohio so I have been offline a bit. I'll pick up the pace in July I'm sure.
          When they had advanced together to meet on common
          ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
          and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
          each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
          mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
          killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Have any idea when you'll arrive?

Thanos

Comment

Re: Site Members

As of this moment we have 569 members to the forum but only 243 of those members have actually posted. So more than half of the people who've signed up to the site are "ghosting" (not posting at all, just reading other posts).
              Personally I always like to make sure I have something to contribute (even if it's just mindless blathering) before I sign up for a site, if only because I hate to spread my e-mail address too widely... I'm also very lazy and hate filling in forms if I don't have to. I mean, it is possible to read and post on the forum without registering, so it does seem strange that people would register without posting. Then again, they're the "silent majority" so I'd better keep them on side. :)

But, you would assume that pretty much every day someone here posts something to annoy/inspire the majority of sentient beings.

D...
              "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Have any idea when you'll arrive?

Thanos
                Should be around June 30th. Dreading the drive though.
                When they had advanced together to meet on common
                ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
                and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
                each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
                mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
                killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Good luck with that drive, Von. I'll never forget making the same drive (though going the other way from Ohio to Texas). I'm not the most materialistic person in the world, but there is something a little unsettling about having everything you own in one small place that happens to be flying down a bumpy Arkansas highway. I don't care if I ever drive a truck like that again. We hired movers for our last move. I don't know if I felt better when I was responsible for everything or when someone else was. I know hiring movers was much easier on my back.

Comment

I used to lurk/ghost at the old QA for years because I was too shy to post. It was only when Berry changed Multiverse.org to the new format that I came out of my shell.

Comment

You sure Grey? I'm sure you would know better than I... but I seem to recall seeing one or two posts by you. Perhaps it was someone with a similar name...

Thanos

Comment

No I'm sure my first post was on the new multiverse. I did however used to read with interest the correspondance between yourself and Mike, not least because you were one of the first to chat with him in the QA about RPG's etc. :) Could be the similar name theory is right though.

Comment

Ok I'll be next to confess to "lurking" I've been around longer than you think.....

Comment

I have always known there were lurkers. It's daunting to write a public message to a famous person. I mean, what do you say?

My question to our confessors is, why did you stop lurking?
                            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

I lurked on the old site for a long time. I wasn't sure if I had anything important enough to ask someone who I thought should be nearly unapproachable. (Of course I couldn't have been more wrong.) I asked my first question on that site as a kind of general thank you for all of the great writing, here's a relatively meaningless literary question. I think I Just felt funny lurking and not participating a little. That's the way I am in conversations, and the way I was in class when I was a student. I can't stay out of things for too long.

I posted more frequent questions on the old board after I met Mike at a signing for Jonathan Carroll. He and Linda were (of course) kind and generous when a complete stranger came up to them and introduced himself. After that, it was easy, and I felt far less presumptuous.

On this site, many of you know I have no problem putting my two cents in.

Comment

Working...
                              X