Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Aliens Have Landed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Aliens Have Landed!

Many years ago my family (2 adults, 3 cats) arrived at Elmhurst, Illinois in the dead of night. Tired as we were from a long drive, we only had enough energy to feed and water the cats before bedtime. Our moving van was due to arrive in 2 days time, so we had time to kill but only a double-sized inflatable mattress upon which to rest.

Morning came and there was an insane racket going on outside. It was as if a thousand airplanes were landing on the roof. Having yet rested only fitfully for a few short hours, my SO and I tossed and turned and kept trying to sleep. At last it proved impossible. Groggy and disheveled I turned to her, she was herself still blinking sleep-sand from her eyes, and I said:

"The aliens have landed..."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3725927.stm

Comment

There has been much argument about the proper way to pronounce the name of these buggers. If you want to know the truth, there are two acceptable pronunciations. To hear them, go HERE then click the little red speaker icons.

Also, doesn't "Seventeen-Year Sexual Cycle" sound like a name for a Marilyn Manson album?
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

The gym I go to has a Seventeen-Year Sexual Cycle, but it's always booked up by the time I get there.

D...
        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I love Cycadas. They are so cool. I hope I spelled that right. I didnt check out the links of what have you. I recognized it straight off from the first picture.

Very very neat critters...yea yea they can get noisy but thats just part of what they are. It was a real treat when Id find one or the shed skin of one cause, at least in my experience, they were very hard to actually see and get a hold of. But you could hear them ^_^
          Ultra Magnus to Sandstorm. \"I\'ve never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. . . Alright, give me the bomb.\"

Comment

That was a great notepad sketch Krunky, very Lovecraft:

Seventeen year cycle! Is that what they mean by Cycadian rhythm? :twisted:

Comment

Mr. Mouser:

Just to be clear, that sketch is not mine. I just stole from it someone on the internet. But I also thought it was very cool.

BTW, I sent a link to my ex SO (the one in the above story, still great friends mind you) and she replied: "We're famous! But you left out my response which was "It's bugs! Oh my god it's BUGS! Glad to be back home where the sound of bugs don't wake you up in the morning..."

Oh but we had such fun! She forgets how the cats loved to chase and eat lightning bugs. Second only to moths for a nice insect snack.

Comment

Too bad they don't bite...they got the look and sound for it.
                My friend use to tie a thread around their abdomen
                and fly em around in circles then smash into the ground.
                Later, he got stung by a scorpion, I warned him........

bugs have karma too.

Comment

I've heard of people "flying" them. Wierd. Love the pic DTB.
                  When they had advanced together to meet on common
                  ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
                  and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
                  each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
                  mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
                  killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Now I can be a bit 'interesting' with critters. Like take a rat, or hamster, kill it, slice it up and hand feed parts of it to a snake or monitor thats too small to eat it whole. Or pop a rat in a blender with some vitimins and beef blood, whip it up, put it in a syringe and tube feed it to an ill Emerald Tree Boa- I was nursing back to health once, stuff like that. But I could never bring myself to catch a cycada and fly it around to smash it like that :P
                    Ultra Magnus to Sandstorm. \"I\'ve never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. . . Alright, give me the bomb.\"

Comment

At least what you were doing had a purpose,
                      opposed to sensless violence,
                      but thats to be expected when you
                      15-16 years old.

Comment

Nice sketch Krunky! Very Aztec/Maya looking..

Comment

circadian rhythm refers to a 24 hr. cycle.

origin: Latin "circa"= about; "dies" = day

ie. our sleep-wake cycle
                          \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
                          Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Originally posted by Jerico
                            circadian rhythm refers to a 24 hr. cycle.

origin: Latin "circa"= about; "dies" = day

ie. our sleep-wake cycle
                            Jerico! I work morning, afternoon, and night shifts! Including 12 hour shifts. My circadian rythm is totally a gonner.. *sigh* :(

Comment

Well, Theocrat
                              Isn't it also true that daylight hours last longer
                              during certain seasons in Sweden?

That doesn't help either!
                              \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
                              Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Working...
                              X