Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Adult bone marrow stem cell can recreate brain tissue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adult bone marrow stem cell can recreate brain tissue

Stem cells for neurogenesis?...

Washington April 30, 2004 11:40:07 AM IST

A preliminary study conducted at the University of Florida Shands Cancer Center, USA, suggests that transplanted adult bone-marrow cells could regenerate nerve cells in the brains of human stem-cell recipients.
    The findings published in The Lancet, if confirmed in future research, could have implications for the treatment of neurodegenerative disorders such as Parkinson's disease.

Edward Scott and colleagues examined the brain tissue of three women who had received bone-marrow transplantation from male donors to help treat leukaemia.

The investigators found that donor cells containing a Y chromosome (ie, from a male origin) were present in all three women's brains up to 6 years after bone-marrow transplantation. All recipients had transgender brain tissue, and in the longest survivor three different types of brain tissue including neurons were found.

Dr Scott said, "This study suggests that bone marrow could be used as a therapeutic source of readily harvestable cells for the regeneration of nerve cells, with potential application to various neurodegenerative diseases and traumatic central nervous system damage". (ANI)
    \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

Then there is still hope for GWB?

Comment

Working...
    X