Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Fans that go too far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fans that go too far

Some fans seem to go too far. Like buying used hobbit feet and dressing as spock, trekkies extreme. Its not like really liking a book or series, but just too far. I think it puts some people off fanasy and sci fi. :twisted:

Yeah, I have one friend that tried to learn Klingon! It was silly. He also has every Star Trek episode on tape and can name them in order. I have never felt that passionate about any show.
    When they had advanced together to meet on common
    ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
    and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
    each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
    mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
    killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Yolanda's avatar is too much!
      As I read the words of her posts
      I can imagine the lips moving and stuff :lol:

I'm not even high I swear! 8O
      \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
      Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Re: Fans that go too far

Originally posted by yolanda
        Some fans seem to go too far. Like buying used hobbit feet .... :twisted:
        Madame, any good chef de cuisine in France will surely make a delicious meal of Hobbit feet, but used ones are sick! Not even our neighbours east of the Rhine would touch such a dish.

Bonjour et bon appأ©tit!

L'E

(aka 28th Comte Brass)
        Google ergo sum

Comment

I've also never felt so passionate about a TV show of film to go to... well, any pains at all really. The show I'm probably most obsessed with is Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but I have no great desire to attend a convention or buy any of the thousands of spin-off novels/comics. I have all of the episodes on tape, but only because my sister gave me her copies when she upgraded to DVD. I know what happens in most of the episodes, but couldn't tell you the titles or quote the scripts! I certainly wouldn't consider dressing up as any of the characters, but if I looked a little more like one of them (naturally) I might be tempted. As I may have mentioned a few times before, I love the film Amelie, and I might consider checking out some of the locations if I can, but I'm not saving up pennies in a jar for the "pilgrimage" or anything. Basically I'm too lazy, selfish and tight with my money to be a fan or a fanatic.

Of course it isn't only sci-fi/fantasy fans who are guilty of such behaviour. Anyone who has witnessed English football fans on the march will know that they can be just as single-minded in their "passion" (and often paint their faces, or buy ridiculously expensive replica shirts). I suppose you could stretch the point and suggest that Christians are essentially "fans" of Jesus Christ, but I doubt they'd appreciate the comparison.

D...

PS. Jerico, I hate to have to say this (being a modest chap at heart) but Yolanda's current avatar is plucked from the DeeCrowSeer Spring Collection... I might try animation next, but as far as I'm aware they are all currently "static". You really must stop accepting brown cigarettes from strange albinos!
          "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Is that Terhali the Green Empress?

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Mouser
              Is that Terhali the Green Empress?
              Indeed it is. I just had to run up stairs to check that was who I'd tried to draw... but yes, I can now nod and look clever.

D...

Comment

It's a great little pic of Terhali DeeCrowSeer. I have to agree with much of what you've said above too. I'm also a fan of the BtVS series and, like your sister, have all the DVD bar S7.

Comment

It's a great little pic of Terhali DeeCrowSeer.
                  Bless you.

I'm also a fan of the BtVS series and, like your sister, have all the DVD bar S7.
                  There'll be releasing those soon though, won't they? I'm sure I've seen the adverts around.

Back to the fandom thing, I have been to a few conventions in the past and they are pretty great if all you want to do is get drunk whilst watching cool films and meeting other fans, but I don't do very well at signings. I tend to be disappointed when the writer/artist I admire doesn't immediately recognise me as a soul mate and take me on as their protege!

I don't think dressing up as a Star Trek character is especially sad in the right context. If you're at a convention, and you've taken a long weekend off work and the cider is flowing and you're not getting any sleep because you didn't actaully book a room, then things are going to get pretty strange eventually... may as well have your phaser ready, just in case!

D...

PS. In my experience, it isn't a good idea to watch early Peter Jackson films at two in the morning while hung-over and suffering from sleep deprivation. The exploding heads tend to have a negative effect on your psyche....

Comment

[quote="DeeCrowSeer

I don't think dressing up as a Star Trek character is especially sad in the right context. If you're at a convention, and you've taken a long weekend off work and the cider is flowing and you're not getting any sleep because you didn't actaully book a room, then things are going to get pretty strange eventually... may as well have your phaser ready, just in case!

....[/quote]

Took the thoughts out of my brain! As with most Obsessions/Hobbies, it's all about context. Dress up for Halloween/convention/movie marathon,o.k. Dress like Mr. Spock for your job interview . . .

Which reminds me of that senator at the Iran-Contra hearings (I think it was) who dressed in her Trek uniform. Fine,she's a Trekkie, but gov't. is supposed to be serious.

On a Socially Conscience note: I sometimes wonder how much better life/the world would be if people put as much effort and time into socially worhtwhile things, as opposed to spending time learning Klingon or Elvish.

But, I guess people spend thier efforts on things that are worthwhile to themselves.
                    Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Buying models and stuffs cool, and drawing characters and things, and meetings and stuff, and dressing up wouldnt be sad in some cases but treating a book or show as more than it is and is meant to be is wrong and to the show or film or book auther and to the people who have to see you walking round in smelly hobbit feet etc and to yourself. 8)

Comment

Ive known Star Trek fans and the like that are the ones that think the ST world is real and there is nothing else. Gah . . . granted, when I get into something I get into it but man Ive never been like /those/ types of fans. I know the other fantasy world Im a fan of can get some fans waaaaaayyy out there as well. Its pretty rough sometimes (not to mention that this fandom is also considered more internally viscous then even Trekies). Im considered a rebel in that fandom . . . like that bothers me, HAH, I relish it, enjoy it, demand the attention it gets, expect my dues from it . . . wont go any further on that . . .

Actually the weirdest thing Ive ever done as fan of anything (not counting the Starsky and Hutch Torino but Im a car nut so that’s allowed) is the Stormbringer replica that Im about to finalize (soon as we figure out how to make the runes stand out better) ...but hey....always wanted a real sword (for who knows what reason) so why not get one thats also your favorite fantasy blade you know (and Ive always talked about having a sword that looked like Stormbringer). Im also about to start remodeling my place and since that blade will be the focal point of my room, it seems logical to do the room in a similar vain (Ive watched too much Christopher Lowell). So the room gets redone in gray and black (my fav colors) and I recently discovered an awesome line of furniture that is black and dragon themed so that will work out well. Guess the room gets done in ‘early Melnibonean’ . . . :P

That will be as far-fetched as Ive ever gone in any fandom. Mmmm lord I hope that doesnt make me one of /those/ fans. Wait, I cant believe Im going to pay what I will be for Stormbringer…..but if I ordered a second one in dark gray and called it Mournblade (for some reason Mournblade never struck me as full black as Stormbringer but more of a grayish tinted black) now that would raise me to the status of one of those fans wouldn’t it? LOL 8O
                        Ultra Magnus to Sandstorm. \"I\'ve never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. . . Alright, give me the bomb.\"

Comment

Re: Fans that go too far

Originally posted by yolanda
                          Some fans seem to go too far. Like buying used hobbit feet and dressing as spock, trekkies extreme. Its not like really liking a book or series, but just too far. I think it puts some people off fanasy and sci fi. :twisted:
                          I dislike this aswell! As they never read/see anything else. They have a sort of 'tunnel vision' when it comes to other stories and debates, and they can hardly make a good conversation. The same goes for people who listen to only one group. They kinda 'DORK OUT' the whole genre/scene.

About them dressing up! I think Dead Kennedys made a great song about this type of behaviour in their song 'Halloween':

So it's Halloween
                          And you feel like dancin'
                          And you feel like shinin'
                          And you feel like letting loose

Whatcha gonna be
                          Babe, you better know
                          And you better plan
                          Better plan all day

Better plan all week
                          Better plan all month
                          Better plan all year

You're dressed up like a clown
                          Putting on your act
                          It's the only time all year
                          You'll ever admit that

I can see your eyes
                          I can see your brain
                          Baby, nothing's changed
                          [repeat]

You're still hiding in a mask
                          You take your fun seriously
                          No, don't blow this year's chance
                          Tomorrow your mold goes back on

After Halloween

You go to work today
                          You'll go to work tomorrow
                          Shitfaced tonight
                          You'll brag about it for months

Remember what I did
                          Remember what I was
                          Back on Halloween

But what's in between
                          Where are your ideas
                          You sit around and dream
                          For next Halloween

Why not everyday
                          Are you so afraid
                          What will people say
                          [repeat]

After Halloween

Because your role is planned for you
                          There's nothing you can do
                          But stop and think it through
                          But what will the boss say to you

And what will your girlfriend say to you
                          And the people out on the street they might glare at you
                          And whadya know you're pretty self-conscious too

So you run back and stuff yourselves in rigid business costumes
                          Only at night to score is your leather uniform exhumed
                          Why don't you take your social regulations
                          And shove 'em up your ass

Comment

My favourite 'dressing up' thing is when my friends got married at Portmerion 3 years back and people thought there was a Prisoners convention on (I did want to say, overhearing people's explanations - 'no, this is what we look like the rest of the time').

Worse still, only one person had particularly played up to it - although obviously that's why the wedding was held there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules
                              My favourite 'dressing up' thing is when my friends got married at Portmerion 3 years back and people thought there was a Prisoners convention on (I did want to say, overhearing people's explanations - 'no, this is what we look like the rest of the time').
                              Dressing up in a Prisoner theme would be totally excusable though, because those blazers look fantastic... and who can resist a straw boater? And everyone could have a little penny-farthing badge with their name on, and the groom could try to escape before the marriage was final and the bride's family would have to capture him and drag him back. Fun!
                              D...

"I am not a number, I'm a free man."

Comment

Working...
                              X