Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A New Beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Beginning

After 5 years living as a drunkard bum, drifting from bottle to bottle and finding myself quite often at the wrong end of the long arm of the law, I am pleased to announce that I have been given a second lease on life. I have recieved a government funded scholarship to attend university.

For my first year I will be doing Tertiary Preperation, I will be undertaking 2 maths modules, and to have enough points to be considered a full time student, I will also undertake study in, general science, human nature, introductory physics and litterature. After this I plan on obtaining a Bachelor of Information Technology (Sciences), with either a networking or web information services major.

I just thought I would share this good news with you all (to tell the truth I am crowing about it to all that I know :D), and I hope that 2007 shows as much promise for everyone else as it so far has for me.

To offer a bit of history behind this situation:
    6 years ago I was in a car accident, rolling the ute I was driving, and because I was not wearing a seat belt my leg stuck out the window and the ute rolled across it, snapping it in two. Too cut a long story short, i had to push the bones back into my leg and spent 5 hours in the hot sun waiting to be rescued. I ended up with gangrene in my leg and it looked as though it would have to be amputated, but thankfully a young surgeon promised myself and my parents that he would rescue the leg for me. Eight operations later and a year with a large piece of 'scaffolding' holding the leg together, I emerged with a rather crooked and scarred, but semi-functional leg. It is due to the disability that resulted from this accident that I have recieved my scholarship.
    My signature is

Redbeard, I'm so glad to hear this excellent piece of news!

I'm really pleased for you.

Congratulations! Well done, and all best wishes for the year ahead.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Redbeard : God luck, happy new year and much work !

Comment

Hang tough Redbeard,
        best wishes and best of luck.
        "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Cheers David, Talisant and MK. It will actually be good to be doing something constructive, and relearning all that my sozzled brain has forgotten.
          My signature is

Comment

I'd like to add my congrats to that list. Go for it redbeard! Good luck to you.
            Was that scaffolding an Ilazarov frame? Sort of a circular scaffold, made up of a number of rings, held together with threaded surgical steel rods? My ex partner had one on for two and a bit years, and had a baby while wearing it, god bless her!
            BTW I lurve the Wulf pic!
            He's well smoked

Comment

Cheers Kipper.

The scaffolding that I had involved four large pins that where screwed directly into the bone with the two center pins being either side of the break. Connected to the pins where two pipes that gave the structure its rigidity. I had to clean the pin sites three times a day, and now have dents in my leg where the pins entered the bone. I also had bone graphts and had a muscle graft to pack some muscle around the break area. They could not put a pin inside the leg because of how badly damaged it was, so if it ever gets broken again, it will have to be chopped off.

It was extremely annoying, especially one night when I climbed into bed, the matress somehow got wedged between my leg and the lowest tension bar and I had to holler for mum to come and help me unwedge it.
              My signature is

Comment

Good Luck at the Uni',Redbeard!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Good onya mate! Good to see you heading back to further your education. I'm sure things will go great for you at uni.

Well wishes from an Aussie in Canada.

Ken
                  Ken Boorman
                  Purveyor of the Runestaff and Stormbringer Legends

Comment

Originally posted by redbeard
                    Cheers Kipper.

The scaffolding that I had involved four large pins that where screwed directly into the bone with the two center pins being either side of the break. Connected to the pins where two pipes that gave the structure its rigidity. I had to clean the pin sites three times a day, and now have dents in my leg where the pins entered the bone.
                    Yeah, I know the type - they gave the ex one of those at first. The other frame had 22 pins between her knee and ankle! She also was warned that "any more damage and it comes off".
                    I also recognise the "getting caught up in the bedsheet syndrome" It happened to her a lot.
                    I gotta ask, have you got a 'happy stick' like Wulf?
                    I'll bet you're still riding as well?
                    Luck with the learning mate!
                    He's well smoked

Comment

Congratulations redbeard, and best of luck! After what you've been through, you deserve it.

Comment

Great news, Redbeard! I hope the new chapter in your life is a fantastic part of your life's journey. Kick butt in University

Comment

My Goodness, what a story, Blackbeard. I wish you all the best and hang on tight to really show the world who's who!
                          Cheers
                          L'Etranger
                          Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger
                            Blackbeard
                            Ooh, so close, and yet so far.
                            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Great news Red/Black/
                              (Yellow)beard.

Everything is 'Cool as der cucumber.' Hope you enjoy your studies.
                              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Working...
                              X