Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Anybody in Telluride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L'Etranger
    replied
    After 7 days we're calling it a wrap in Telluride this evening and fly home tomorrow. Was a great time, terrific location, met and filmed incredible people ... including Christo and Jeanne-Claude who held an extremely enlightening lecture on their "OVER THE RIVER" PROJECT", which hopefully can be realized by 2011. All support needed, it is fabulous, as are the two lovable artists.

Cheers, saludos and best wishes from Tohellyouride!
    L'E

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Hope you have a little fun. Colorado is likely to be great whatever the time of year you visit.

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Update:
    Telluride it is. I'll be there May 24th to 30th. Wish it were longer, but can't change it. I look forward to it going there very much! I just hope it isn't too cold which it can be even way into the year.

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Many thanks, my friends. The trip is slowly materializing. Looks like end of May. I will try to get us a day extra to start slowly to get used to the height. 2800 m is quite high even for people who go skiing in the Alps a lot. We'll see.

Leave a comment:

• Miqque
    replied
    Telluride is excellent, although the roads to get there are at times a bit tricky. (When there is a speed limit on one of the YELLOW signs, they were placed there by the highway engineers, and if they say 15 mph, they MEAN 15 mph!)

I agree with Personiccus in all particulars. If you drink beer, by all means try some of the local Colorado microbrewery offerings. Beware any foods labelled "hot" (as in spicy) as Coloradans have an obsession with very hot peppers. Prices are typically high, particularly during the Film Festival. Early reservations are a good idea, and that goes for meals at the better restaurants as well. Many of the smaller merchants live for the filmfest, and are delighted to do business. A day to drive around and take in the sights is a great investment. But when it starts to get dark, it gets dark quick. Be on a familiar road by then! And you are high enogh to get a bout of altitude sickness, a true misery for lowlanders in a big hurry to do stuff. This usually hits the second day, around breakfast to lunch. Usually a wave of nausea, lightheadedness, fluctuating body temperature - kinda feels like a flu coming on. If that hits, lay down somewhere for about an hour. It should pass.

By all means, enjoy the trip! Ain't nuthin' like the Rockies.

Leave a comment:

• Perssonicus
    replied
    Oh, and here's a small picture from downtown Telluride.

The peaks of the San Juans are very jagged, and can be a bit tricky to climb, so don't get too ambitious. However, Highway 550 goes right through the heart of the San Juans, and the views from Coal Line Pass, Molas Pass, and most importantly, Red Pass, are indescribable, so bring plenty of memory for your digital camera.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Perssonicus
    replied
    L'Etranger, thank you for your kind words.

The train ride takes about a day altogether. If you decide to do it, make sure to get tickets eraly, they are probably available online.

Here are a couple of URLs to help you along:

http://www.durangotrain.com/
    http://www.coloradoinfo.com/travel.asp?pageid=19%7C381
    http://www.durangosilvertonrailroad.com/

When you reach the wilderness platform at Needle Junction, the closest road is 12 miles away. You will see a group of three "fourteeners" [peaks above 14,000ft elevation] above Chicago Basin from that stop, but since it's jsut a platform in the wilderness, you might just want to stay aboard. It's an old coal-fired train, and it's a look back to the wild and wooly days of the mining camps of the 1880s.

Here are a couple of good links for the Telluride area:

http://www.coloradoinfo.com/travel.a...19%7C381%7C391
    http://www.visittelluride.com/

This is probably one of the most gorgeous areas in the Colorado Rockies. Make sure to pack warm, because even in summer it can get rather nippy.

Any more questions, let me know, and bring plenty of socks because they will be "blown off" on a regular basis....truly a place of sorcerous beauty.

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Merci, Perssonicus.
    Your pleasant answer reveals you to be a most honourable asset of Miscellany. Thank you.
    I am already thrilled by what I read and what I've seen on footage of a documentary. I shan't have much time, possibly 5 days, and there's work connected to the stay. But I already sense it is going to be only the first visit, and others could follow. The train ride sounds very intriguing. How many hours to and fro? Festival-wise Telluride seems to rival New York City in nuzmbers and quality.

Leave a comment:

• Perssonicus
    replied
    Bon soir, L'Etranger.

I'm not a right honorable member of the group, nor am I in Telluride. I am, however, in Castle Rock, on the southern edge of the Denver Basin, getting hammered with blizzard after blizzard.

Telluride is a simply wonderful place, smack dab in the middle of the most beautiful section of the Colorado Rockies, the San Juan Mountains. The San Jauns are volcanic in origin, not sedimentary or igneous, and so have a totally different character than, say, Rocky Mountain National Park or Maroon Bells near Aspen. The mountains are very jagged, very rugged, with a warmer climate than the rest of the state and so with more greenery, and the rivers are just magical. Also, there are many hot springs in the area, but a lot gain their heat from radioactive deposits in the earth...

You will be there at the best part of the year, IMHO, as the wildflowers will be at their peak. You might consider heading north a few hours to Castle Butte one day, and see the Wildflower festival, a place where entire mountainsides are purple or yellow or pink with endless, deep blankets of flowers.

There are a lot of music festivals up in Telluride in summer, the bluegrass and prog-rock festivals springing to mind.

I also suggest going to Silverton and riding the narrow-gauge railroad along the Las Animas River valley through to Durango and back. I have some pics of the river somewhere, I have to scan some and I'll post them here.

You will absolutely fall in love with Telluride.

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    started a topic Anybody in Telluride?

Anybody in Telluride?

I would like to know if any of our right honourable members here are from Telluride. Seems a terrific place to be. I might be there a couple of days in June or July doing some work.
Working...
X