Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Strange sensation - anyone else ever experienced this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange sensation - anyone else ever experienced this?

Here's something that's long puzzled me ever since I first experienced it as a child, and because it's an inner sensation I've never known whether this is something that other people experiences, but following on from the discussion about how we each read I thought I'd ask here and see what response I get.

Very occassionally, either when I'm reading something or having something explained to me on a one-to-one base I experience a very pleasurable sensation on the back of my head, neck and shoulders. It's not quite a tingle nor 'goosebumps' and I don't really have the words to describe it, but it is quite 'exquisite' and not unpleasant.

I remember the first time I ever experienced it: I was maybe 7 or 8 and I was at a friend's house and she was explaining the rules of a board game we were about to play. As I lay on the floor listening to her, the sensation I described above 'occured'. As she talked it got a little more intense but once she finished talking the sensation dissipated.

I can't 'make' the sensation happen at will. Nor do I experience it everytime I read something or have something explained to me. I suppose I might call it a sort of 'trance' or 'zoning out' sensation except I'm fully aware and awake all the time. If it happens when I'm reading I can prolong the sensation by re-reading the passage(s) that brought it on, but it always happens unexpectedly. I can't anticipate when it happens.

As I say, perhaps nobody here will have the faintest idea what I'm talking about. It's a bit like the Matix I'm afraid: no-one can 'tell' you about it, you have to experience for yourself.

Still would be extremely interested if anyone thinks they know what I'm talking about.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Working with computers without a computer science degree, I frequently encounter things I have never thought of, especially pieces of information that revolutionize my understanding of something that affects many many other parts of my thinking. It's akin to excitement, but that doesn't describe it well enough, because there's a definite non-excitement physical component. It only ever happens when I'm talking with a person who is explaining a concept to me. My eyes snap wide involuntarily, I start smiling and talking rapidly, I can barely control the flood of questions that commence and I experience an invigoration that seems to be in the area of my head and chest, and only when I'm talking about technical concepts.

Similiar, but not the same, I reckon.
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Oh ya,I get that.

-Only,I experienced it from hearing someone tell me a story or talk about events from their past.

I get it when I read books.

I think it just happens when we are relaxed and are enjoying something.

It probably has to do with moving around,then you sit down to read or listen to something,energy that would go to your brain,creates a dream-like quality,thus making you feel good,and the enrgy that you just spend walking around,ect,is now going to revitalize your muscles that you have just used.

If you eat a meal,get relaxed and hear folks talk,it happens to.

Good Observation!

-Lem'

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by Reinart der Fuchs
        Working with computers without a computer science degree, I frequently encounter things I have never thought of, especially pieces of information that revolutionize my understanding of something that affects many many other parts of my thinking. It's akin to excitement, but that doesn't describe it well enough, because there's a definite non-excitement physical component. It only ever happens when I'm talking with a person who is explaining a concept to me. My eyes snap wide involuntarily, I start smiling and talking rapidly, I can barely control the flood of questions that commence and I experience an invigoration that seems to be in the area of my head and chest, and only when I'm talking about technical concepts.

Similiar, but not the same, I reckon.

ya,I get that a little too.

We sometimes need a stimuli to get thoughts rolling.

If we did not have human interaction,I think we would go months even years without talking.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
          ya,I get that a little too.

We sometimes need a stimuli to get thoughts rolling.

If we did not have human interaction,I think we would go months even years without talking.
          Well, if all human life, except me, suddenly disappeared, I'd talk to myself incessantly. I'd listen to all the iPods I found. I'd seek out radio stations to listen to their old broadcasts.

If they had never existed, then I wouldn't be here.

Comment

Originally posted by Reinart der Fuchs
            Well, if all human life, except me, suddenly disappeared, I'd talk to myself incessantly. I'd listen to all the iPods I found. I'd seek out radio stations to listen to their old broadcasts.

If they had never existed, then I wouldn't be here.

That's true,that's why you see Lemec talking about everything and anything on here.

It might be fun,for the first few days to be like Charlton Heston in The Omega Man,but I guess we would all go a little crazy like he did in that movie. haha!

I never really thought of that situation in that way before.

I think now,that it is strange that we need to have human contact,I guess that's why I turn my tv on,when I am not watching anything,just so I can listen to it.

I guess humans have a greater bond than I realized,meaning,we all need each other more than we admit,hehe,aside for the mountain men,who seem to enjoy the isolation, but even they talked to each other,had their gatherings and could talk to the animals if they had to. haha!

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Sometimes I have had some strange sensation: not only dejà vù, but "weird" experiences since I was a child.
              I remember a kind of a "banshee" when my fathers died and other "visions".
              However these experience were no agreeable for me
              Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
                Oh ya,I get that.

-Only,I experienced it from hearing someone tell me a story or talk about events from their past.

I get it when I read books.

I think it just happens when we are relaxed and are enjoying something.

It probably has to do with moving around,then you sit down to read or listen to something,energy that would go to your brain,creates a dream-like quality,thus making you feel good,and the enrgy that you just spend walking around,ect,is now going to revitalize your muscles that you have just used.

If you eat a meal,get relaxed and hear folks talk,it happens to.

Good Observation!

-Lem'
                Yes, that sounds very much like it. Glad I'm not the only one then. (Incidentally, the thing that brought it on today and thus prompted the question was reading your most recent posts in the Daveak-only Table Room. )

Unlike Berry's example what I was talking about only seems to happen to me when I'm silent. In other words, if I begin talking the 'spell' is broken. Enjoyment is very much part of the sensation as well.

Cheers for sharing that, Joe.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by Hieronymus
                  Sometimes I have had some strange sensation: not only dejà vù, but "weird" experiences since I was a child.
                  I remember a kind of a "banshee" when my fathers died and other "visions".
                  However these experience were no agreeable for me
                  I get the deja vu feeling alot. I find it very disconcerting.When I was 13 and my mother and I went to England, seemed like every 10 minutes or around every corner I turned it would come over me, especially while in Bath. Sigh I want to live there :<

I don't get the tingling sensation you describe DM but when presented with some new and exciting I start shaking. Very embarrassing

Comment

Any epiphany (abrupt integration of various data to a contiguous whole) is bound to produce somatic reactions. Each of us is 'wired' so that putting things together in our brains produces an egosyntonic physical reaction of pleasure. This is one reason (perhaps the primary one) that humans enjoy learning. It feels good.

When this happens I suggest full attention be paid to it. Just plain bask in the feelings and sensations. Focus on the newly-integrated thought. It's a kick, and I'd bet this is one thing restricted to humans!
                    Miqque
                    ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Originally posted by Idiot_Savant
                      ...around every corner I turned it would come over me, especially while in Bath. Sigh I want to live there :<
                      No you don't. It's one of the most expensive places in the country to live, it has the dearest hotels in England, and the second worst traffic congestion, too.

And besides, it's always full of tourists.

(I wouldn't live anywhwere else, though. )
                      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Uh huh I do so want to live there. It's the prettiest and charming town I've ever been to. Sigh

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                          Yes, that sounds very much like it. Glad I'm not the only one then. (Incidentally, the thing that brought it on today and thus prompted the question was reading your most recent posts in the Daveak-only Table Room. )

Unlike Berry's example what I was talking about only seems to happen to me when I'm silent. In other words, if I begin talking the 'spell' is broken. Enjoyment is very much part of the sensation as well.

Cheers for sharing that, Joe.

Thanks,David!

Very cool!

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by Idiot_Savant
                            I get the deja vu feeling alot.
                            I always promote this very unscientific theory that dejavu is rapid recall. Since we can think at extremely high speeds, I believe that you have an experience and for some reason instantly recall the experience at near real time speeds.

When I experience deja vu, I try to look forward to see if I can start remembering what happens next. I'm sometimes successful, or get the feeling I'm successfully recollecting future events.

I have deja vu alot too.

Comment

I have not had dejà vù in a long time,15 years ago,I suppose.

I used to have all that stuff,the repetitive dreams that come true.

An encounter that could have been a ghost.

Odd feelings in certain places.

The family had experienced things like hearing the gravel in the drive circle fly through the air,when nobody was there,then several days later,it happened for real,someone came in a car to tell them that a relative had been killed after their car flipped over the shoulder on the road.

Someone asked if we had a visitor because they saw a man in our house window,while the family was outside,nobody was in the house,the man they thought they saw,unknown to the person asking, had been dead for a few months.

I got all kinds of paranormal stories.....

----------------------

P.S.

Governor,

Did you ever watch the Planet of the Apes tv show and cartoon, I recently got them for dvd,the show,I found it for about a third of the retail price,from when they first came out.

They are kinda funny,but some are actual cool,they just don't make serials like that any more.

-a wonderful thing that Roddy McDowall was actually in the series.

I love it when movies and shows make references to Planet of the Apes!
                              Last edited by lemec; 11-15-2006, 12:48 PM.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                              X