Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Happy Halloween !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Halloween !!!

Happy Halloween !!!

Have a Ghoulish Day and Bewitching Night!

Have a Fantastic Time!

Trick or Treat?!

-Lemec
    Last edited by lemec; 10-30-2006, 09:08 PM.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Yes my friends, may you have an happy Halloween as you prefer
    Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

As always I'm switching off the lights and hoping that I won't need to use my Omega Man-style flamethrowers and heavy artillary to ward off the 'trick 'n' treaters' tonight.

I have no problem with 'apple bobbing' or other traditional Halloween games, but 'demanding goods with menaces' is a definite no-no in my book. So, as long as you're not planning on knocking on my door, have a Scary Halloween.*

*Happy Halloween doesn't feel right somehow.
      Last edited by David Mosley; 10-31-2006, 05:55 AM.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

the epidemic has reached France but we have no candies at home .....

Comment

It's my favorite day of the year!
          Happy Halloween guys!
          Morgan, how do ya'll celebrate it in France?

Comment

Originally posted by Idiot_Savant
            It's my favorite day of the year!
            Happy Halloween guys!
            Morgan, how do ya'll celebrate it in France?
            A pale copy of the anglo-saxon ways and a business opportunity .....

but the import is recent and this year, the fashion seems to fade away.

The celebaetion of Halloween has birthed two oppositions : the catholic church denouncing the pagan custom and the anti-anglo-saxon lobby denouncing the cultural amercican domination .

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
              I have no problem with 'apple bobbing' or other traditional Halloween games, but 'demanding goods with menaces' is a definite no-no in my book.
              David, how very uptight and English of you! I couldn't agree more

Comment

BOO!!
                AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Now I've got to avoid all the marked down Hallowe'en candy at the grocery store!
                Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Actually posting this in between trick or treaters. I wanted to subscribe to the functional equivalent of "bah humbug" for Halloween, but I came home to the bags of candy my wife had bought.

All right, some of them are pretty cute...

Comment

Definitely 'bah humbug' here too, primarily to the overly commercial aspect of it. If we didn't have to bear at least 2 solid months of bombardment with it...
                    Gotta love anything that pisses off the Catholic church

I think the Beware of Dog sign, the darkness, and the remoteness of our dwelling pretty much makes it a bust here.

Indeed a fun Halloween to all who enjoy it
                    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness.
                    -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

The Beware of Dog sign is brilliant! My cats might have a problem with it, though...

Comment

I'm often tempted to respond to cries of 'Trick or treat!' with "Well, show me a decent (magic) trick and if I like it I'll give you a treat", but something tells me that's not strictly within the spirit of Halloween.

You know, with all the concerns at the moment about childhood obesity (especially prevalent here in the UK (cf. Jamie's School Dinners)) you'd have thunk that someone would have kicked up a fuss about giving candy (or 'sweets' as we call them over here) to children. But surprisingly, no.
                        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I've turned out my porch light, which is the universal signal for "We ran out of candy. Please do not ring our doorbell."

I have to agree with your observations about childhood obesity. We had about 100 kids, and about 40 of them were obese. About 65 were overweight.

David, you've made me feel like a pusher...

Comment

And then... there's Robert Service.

-Yousuf Karsh

Comment

And I must agree, most kids already have way too much processed sugar as it is. Seeing the increase in pediatric prescriptions for ADHD... Um... I happen to think there is a real problem with diets these days.
                              Not to be a bummer or anything!!!
                              -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

Working...
                              X