Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Robert Anton Wilson Needs Our Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Anton Wilson Needs Our Help

According to Douglas Rushkoff:

...I'm sending what I can to support cosmic thinking patriarch Robert Anton Wilson, whose infirmity and depleted finances have put him in the precarious position of not being able to meet next month's rent.

In case the name doesn't immediately ring a bell, Bob is the guy who wrote Cosmic Trigger - still the best narrative on how to enter and navigate the psycho-spiritual realm, and co-wrote the Illuminatus Trilogy, an epic work that pushes beyond conspiracy theory into conspiracy practice. Robert Anton Wilson will one day be remembered alongside such literary philosophers as Aldous Huxley and James Joyce.

But right now, Bob is a human being in a rather painful fleshsuit, who needs our help. I refuse for the history books to say he died alone and destitute, for I want future generations to know we appreciated Robert Anton Wilson while he was alive.

This all seems pretty genuine. Any thoughts out there in the Multiverse?
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Originally posted by Mikey_C
    According to Douglas Rushkoff:

This all seems pretty genuine. Any thoughts out there in the Multiverse?
    He looks pretty good to me.
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

I preface what I say with two things. First, I don't doubt that people can become destitute pretty quickly. Second, I certainly believe that the business of writing doesn't always allow robust book sales to translate into making a living writing. However, I wonder how this has happened to Wilson, if the report is accurate, as the Illuminatus trilogy is still in print, and presumably making money for someone.

Comment

this from his website at http://www.rawilson.com/main.shtml

RAW Bedside Update
        October 4, 2006

Donations have poured in since friends of Bob Wilson got the word out that he could use some help with steep healthcare costs. Bob is profoundly greatful and humbled by your support (see note below). Bob requires 24 hour care and this kindly swarm of donations has enabled Bob to receive the care he (and everyone!) deserves.

Bob is not one for the begging bowl. He would rather that fans wishing to help out simply buy his wares. But his friends, understanding the potential financial strain of Bob's needs, set up the Friends of Robert Anton Wilson relief fund, and your response has been astounding. Bob "is" presently cheerful, without pain and ceaselessly optimistic.

Here's a quick history of Robert Anton Wilson's scenario. Bob has post-polio syndrome which has severely damaged his legs and weakened his body. He had a hard fall in June of this year which landed him in the hospital. He has since not been able to walk and is thus confined to his bed (overlooking beautiful Monterey Bay fnord), requiring 24 hour care. Due to Bob's acute weakness in June and July, many of his family and friends felt that Bob could go at any time. He has since rallied slowly with up's and down's, and like most things, his condition seems in the maybe state. Bob has no pain, has a hearty appetite, is in steady good, sharp humor, is surrounded by family and friends, and feels he shows signs of slow recovery. Praise Bob! All hail Eris!

Note from RAW
        October 5, 2006

Dear Friends, my God, what can I say. I am dumbfounded, flabbergasted, and totally stunned by the charity and compassion that has poured in here the last three days.
        To steal from Jack Benny, "I do not deserve this, but I also have severe leg problems and I don't deserve them either."

Because he was a kind man as well as a funny one, Benny was beloved. I find it hard to believe that I am equally beloved and especially that I deserve such love.

Whoever you are, wherever you are, know that my love is with you.

You have all reminded me that despite George W. Bush and all his cohorts, there is still a lot of beautiful kindness in the world.

Blessings,

Robert Anton Wilson
        "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Funnily enough, after posting this I went to a second-hand shop yesterday and picked a copy of the Illuminatus Trilogy for the princely sum of £1! Now I'm feeling I really should contribute something to the poor guy, so thanks for the extra info.

Start customary rant about U.S. healthcare system (or lack thereof, more like it ) but let's pray that Prime-Minister-to-be "Greeny" Cameron is sincere in his recent conversion to the wonders of the NHS!
          \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
            Start customary rant about U.S. healthcare system (or lack thereof, more like it )
            Start customary agreement with Mikey_C's rant about U.S. healthcare system...

Thanks for the new info, Talisant

Comment

I've checked in and got this update, from Douglas Rushkoff again:

(10.13.06) Just got this photo, taken yesterday, of Bob saying thanks to everyone who came to his rescue last week. Yes, he's gotten quite svelt, but remember - it's the light behind the eyes that matters.

Stop sending money!
              But keep the good vibes coming. They're what's keeping him feeling alive.
              I can't seem to find any later news. But you can see the sad change in the man from the picture above. Comes to us all, I guess.

Comment

It appears that RAW passed on at 4.50am on January 11. His last blog entry (January 6) read:
                Various medical authorities swarm in and out of here predicting I have between two days and two months to live. I think they are guessing. I remain cheerful and unimpressed. I look forward without dogmatic optimism but without dread. I love you all and I deeply implore you to keep the lasagna flying.

Please pardon my levity, I don't see how to take death seriously. It seems absurd.
                Another star gone.

Rest In Peace.

Comment

Working...
                X