Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

New Photos Reveal 1935 Airship at Bottom of Pacific Ocean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Photos Reveal 1935 Airship at Bottom of Pacific Ocean

I know we have a few admirers of airships on this site and this story caught my eye.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200609...ofpacificocean
    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

I caught that on reading the news. Hope National Geographic or someone is going down to take more photos. This is one of the very few California-native stories that are around. (Ignoring, say, Bigfoot. He's Oregonian.)

My wonder is that blimps are still used as major advertising ventures and to provide overhead photography at sporting events, but we do not see much of them otherwise. I should think such airships would have many uses in peaceful-at-home large-acreage countries (USA, Canada, Russia, China). There's an ever-increasing need here for accurate maps, and satellites just are not close enough or sharp enough (even yet) to provide proper plat maps. Blimps could do it easily.

But there is that "weather" thing.
    Miqque
    ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

The Sanyo Blimp was hovering over my backyard for three days whilst it was covering the photography of the Bell Canadian Open Golf Tournament.

Comment

I have a strange urge to go out and buy a new television...

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
          I have a strange urge to go out and buy a new television...
          Funny that. I had a strange urge to buy a BB gun.
          Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Reinart der Fuchs

My wife would encourage you to put that BB gun to my head if my television-buying urges become too strong...

Comment

Reinart der Fuchs Wrote
              Nothing that petite here Reinart....
              Would you settle for a fully vented Remington 870 Wingmaster ?
              The only good thing that I can say about the Sanyo blimp is that it did keep me in a heavy Moorcock State Of Mind for 3 days,
              since I kept stumbling downstairs and leafing through my new hardcover copy of The Nomad Of Time.

(Hope all this firearms talk doesnt flick PWV's safety off!)
              Last edited by voilodian ghagnasdiak; 09-29-2006, 12:46 AM.

Comment

I like to watch golf at TV ........

I did not know they were using blimps .....

I thank very much people who bears the view of the blimp to allow me to look the game ........

Comment

I was surprised at what it was carrying. They must have had quite a good lift capacity.
                  You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Its almost like looking at the future through the past Gov.
                    A 96 cylinder gasoline fuelled helium balloon that also acted as an aircraft carrier, wild stuff. You would have been able to hear that sucker coming from miles away, and that goes without even considering the ominous shadow created by its massive 785 ft. length.

A great deal of the pre-war technology was vastly ahead of its time and deserves review and second hand considerations.

http://www.lucidcafe.com/library/macon.html

Ever heard of Glacier Girl Gov?

http://www.coffeedrome.com/glacier.html

Comment

Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak
                      A 96 cylinder gasoline fuelled helium balloon that also acted as an aircraft carrier, wild stuff. You would have been able to hear that sucker coming from miles away, and that goes without even considering the ominous shadow created by its massive 785 ft. length.
                      Thanks for the link, v. You're right, it must have been a hell of a thing to see. Its a shame the more notable of these craft came to such sad ends.

Ever heard of Glacier Girl Gov?
                      I hadn't! I do like the look of those 'planes, and what an amazing story.

Comment

And for all the LTA fans, remember to read "The Deltoid Pumpkin Seed" by John McPhee.

Lighter than air ships, lifting bodies....it makes your head spin.

Comment

Working...
                        X