Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

One small victory for free speach in Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One small victory for free speach in Turkey

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5366446.stm
    A court in Turkey has dismissed a case brought against a prominent Turkish author.
    In this case the author had mentioned the Armenian genocide; Turkey still claims it "never happened" and as such wanted to jail her for having mentioned it.
    While her acquittal is clearly a good thing, there is some worry that the victory was brought about more by EU political pressure than by innate justice of the courts. The next poor soul who falls foul of this law that doesn't have the same international prestige may find the courts suddenly less enlightened.

Interesting, Rothgo. While I agree with you that we should not be overly optimistic here, I'll take a small victory for justice when we can get one!

Comment

I think that many will benefit from more freedom in Turkey.First of all the Turkish people of course.But It seems the military officials have still great power over there and they are not willing to tolerate certain stuff.
      It's one thing to say the armenian genocide never happened and quite another to imprison whoever dares to say it did happen.And as in more democratic countries freedom of speach is losing ground,if there is a tiny victory in Turkey the tide may change some day.

Comment

Working...
      X